qwerky 19 February 2009 61

[First filed: February 18, 2009 @ 09:15]

Book a night of romance

Guests are invited to bring their favourite book as an ice-breaker and take a chance on meeting a like-minded, book-loving new friend at our event Literary Lovers: Speed Dating for Book Lovers.

It’s not just for singles – it’s also for people who just like talking about their literary loves.

Everyone will be treated to a complimentary glass of wine on arrival and to the romantic side of jazz trio As Famous as the Moon.

Friday 20 February
The event starts at 6.30 pm
Cost: $30/$25 concession
Bookings: 02 6262 1271 or bookings@nla.gov.au

UPDATED: As they have rather a lot of women going at this point the Library is kindly giving away two tickets for blokes. The first two to email hpritchard@nla.gov.au will be the lucky winners.

61 Responses to Literary lovers: Speed dating for book lovers, Fri 20 Feb, 6.30pm – single men wanted!
1 2 3 4 Next »
Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 10:15 am 18 Feb 09

I’m not single, but I’m a man and a bibliophile, two out of three any good?

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 10:39 am 18 Feb 09

I too fit into that category PB. It does say not just for singles. So I guess it depends on whether Mrs PB has a problem with you meeting female literary types. There maybe a few that have read too many bodice rippers…

Sounds like a fun night, I should turn up with “Spot gets a new red ball” for a few giggles.

Anyone who turns up with a Dan Brown should be thrown in the lake.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 11:10 am 18 Feb 09

neanderthalsis said :

I like the updated version of the Dick and Jane books like, “See Jane Run from Dick after he has taken the little blue pill”.

+1 for throwing Dan Brown fans into the lake.

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 11:16 am 18 Feb 09

+ 2 for Dan “I only copied bits of it from another book” Brown.

The Brad The Brad 11:22 am 18 Feb 09

Pity it’s in Feb.
If it was in April, I’d be taking along a copy of “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies”.
It covers a wide range of literary tastes in the one book.

johnboy johnboy 11:32 am 18 Feb 09

I’m really not sure how many coupled men are going to be able to explain going to this to their better halves.

“Oh don’t worry we’re just going to forge emotional and intellectual bonds on a level you’re not interested in”.

Nothing to be concerned about there?

SheepGroper SheepGroper 12:25 pm 18 Feb 09

I’m just confused about an event advertised as speed dating encouraging coupled people to turn up.

poptop poptop 12:34 pm 18 Feb 09

For $25-30, that glass of wine is hardly complimentary!

It appears to be on at the National Library.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 1:27 pm 18 Feb 09

Well, I’ll be there. Now I just have my fingers crossed that some actual single women roughly 30+ will show up with a ceiling age of >40

Oh, and I’ll have to try and develop some social skills between now and then too :-\

CanberraSingle CanberraSingle 2:13 pm 18 Feb 09

So will there be any SINGLE men there? Do you at least have SINGLE male friends you could bring along? Sure, I’m there for the book talkin’ but c’mon, you’re killin’ me…

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 2:28 pm 18 Feb 09

CanberraSingle said :

Moi

Then off too Green Square for a few drinkies and some swapping of phone numbers with any luck.

Ha.. I wonder how many people are going to show up with James Joyce, I wonder what they’ll say when I walk in with my Footrot Flats compendium.

SheepGroper SheepGroper 3:17 pm 18 Feb 09

eyeLikeCarrots said :

I wonder what they’ll say when I walk in with my Footrot Flats compendium.

You’d get me making a beeline for you – but you might not want that . . .

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 3:34 pm 18 Feb 09

SheepGroper said :

eyeLikeCarrots said :

I wonder what they’ll say when I walk in with my Footrot Flats compendium.

You’d get me making a beeline for you – but you might not want that . . .

If you have the right genitals I might ?

SheepGroper SheepGroper 4:15 pm 18 Feb 09

So I should bring along a collection?

Actually I’m female, but closer to your age than you’re after judging by post #9.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 4:18 pm 18 Feb 09

eyeLikeCarrots == bloke

In an attempt to not appear like a bogun I’ll leave the footrot flats at home, maybe we can save that for our first date ?

The Brad The Brad 4:40 pm 18 Feb 09

eyeLikeCarrots said :

eyeLikeCarrots == bloke

But isn’t the book supposed to give some indication of what you (are) like.
Maybe take along the GURPS or Shadowrun Players Guide.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 4:55 pm 18 Feb 09

Well the Shadowrun is more my style, perhaps I could take some William Gibson to lend it a more literary image.

I can only guess that most people wouldn’t care that I once totally pwnd a Street Samurai in the face with my Level 97 Mage…

The Brad The Brad 5:01 pm 18 Feb 09

You should definately take something like that along.

You may find the geek of your dreams.

eyeLikeCarrots eyeLikeCarrots 5:31 pm 18 Feb 09

The geek of my dreams is more the moderate kind of geek….

SheepGroper SheepGroper 5:49 pm 18 Feb 09

eyeLikeCarrots said :

You’re kidding?! How’d you manage that! Had to be based on a ranged attack?

1 2 3 4 Next »