qwerky 19 February 2009 61

[First filed: February 18, 2009 @ 09:15]

Book a night of romance

Guests are invited to bring their favourite book as an ice-breaker and take a chance on meeting a like-minded, book-loving new friend at our event Literary Lovers: Speed Dating for Book Lovers.

It’s not just for singles – it’s also for people who just like talking about their literary loves.

Everyone will be treated to a complimentary glass of wine on arrival and to the romantic side of jazz trio As Famous as the Moon.

Friday 20 February
The event starts at 6.30 pm
Cost: $30/$25 concession
Bookings: 02 6262 1271 or bookings@nla.gov.au

UPDATED: As they have rather a lot of women going at this point the Library is kindly giving away two tickets for blokes. The first two to email hpritchard@nla.gov.au will be the lucky winners.

61 Responses to Literary lovers: Speed dating for book lovers, Fri 20 Feb, 6.30pm – single men wanted!
Heidi1 Heidi1 5:12 pm 19 Feb 09

We have just realised we have no idea (which is terrifying). We know what the male:female ratio is and let me just say, it is weighted in the boy’s favour. We didn’t think to ask the age of participants, we just invited everyone. We figure it is a great way to meet people with a book in your hand!

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 5:09 pm 19 Feb 09

Whats the average age of this thing, and the typical male:female ratio?

*asking on behalf of the readers who aren’t vocal members*

Heidi1 Heidi1 4:56 pm 19 Feb 09

Oh poptop you duffer, OF COURSE there are women on the internet, we are just scantily clad and draped over various bits of machinery.

Clown Killer Clown Killer 4:52 pm 19 Feb 09

Poptop and Heidi1 … can you guys get a room?

poptop poptop 4:43 pm 19 Feb 09

This is the internets – there are NO women.

Heidi1 Heidi1 4:42 pm 19 Feb 09

SURE! I wasn’t sure that this was appropriate, but I’m in if you’re in!!

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 4:40 pm 19 Feb 09

Johnboy is the editor, moderator and chief RiotAct overlord. Hit the “Contact” button at the top of this page to send him an email.

poptop poptop 4:40 pm 19 Feb 09

Johnboy is our RiotACT Editor, Overlord and occasionally benevolent dictator.

I still have my copy of ZAMM. It is one of the books I never lend out.

Heidi1 Heidi1 4:35 pm 19 Feb 09

Who is Johnboy? I could probably be convinced!

I read ZAMM when I was at uni too, it all made so much sense at the time (MAN) that I went out and got a bike and I’ve been on motorbikes ever since. The book has dated a little, but it will always be important to me.

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 4:32 pm 19 Feb 09

I loved Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Brings back memories of my slothenly days at uni when I was taking philosophy units instead of more productive things like ecomonics…

poptop poptop 4:32 pm 19 Feb 09

Go on Heidi , give the free tickets to Johnboy to raffle off to male Rioters.

You know you want to. =-)

Perhaps Slavegirl of Gor AND any book by Andrea Dworkin.

Heidi1 Heidi1 4:23 pm 19 Feb 09

Hello all

I’ve just been sent to this site by half of the National Library. HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU EXISTED! What a top site, I can’t wait to get home and have a proper look!

Anyway, I’m hosting this event tomorrow and I for one cannot WAIT to meet the Sheepgroper and Carroteyes. The radio station just rang me, disappointingly ALL THREE of the male winners of the contest have chickened out, but the one female winner is BANG UP FOR IT proving once again that girls are more adventurous than boys.

If you are male and up for an adventure, you can call us to book on 6262 1271.

But to continue the game, I’m torn between taking Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence or Fight Club.

Bill Quinn Bill Quinn 3:59 pm 19 Feb 09

Damn! Just won a free ticket to this from a local radio station (not mine, of course) but I can’t go because I’ll be en route to the Cobargo Folk Festival.

The book I nominated to take (not realising there was a competition for tix) was ‘The Satanic Verses’ by Salman Rushdie. Conversation starter: religion, sex, politics, mythology, etc.

Or you can just play, ‘Spot the appropriate metaphor of the book to the reader. Long, verbose, prosaic, complex.’

Thumper Thumper 9:31 pm 18 Feb 09

Not Conrad’s Heart of Darkness that is for sure.

caf caf 9:19 pm 18 Feb 09

The poetry of fishing, I presume?

SheepGroper SheepGroper 8:02 pm 18 Feb 09

sexynotsmart said :

Which is disappointing, because I like women who quote poetry unexpectedly.

Like: “Oh god, oh god, I love your rod”?

sexynotsmart sexynotsmart 7:50 pm 18 Feb 09

LoveBumps won’t let us to play with literary types any more. We had two in a row that – how does one say – had a few issues.

Which is disappointing, because I like women who quote poetry unexpectedly.

I-filed I-filed 7:24 pm 18 Feb 09

Will the federal government be getting people to sign any sort of waiver in case of misadventure arising from this interesting direction for government enterprises?

Granny Granny 6:27 pm 18 Feb 09

I’ll bring Modesty Blaise!

ant ant 5:59 pm 18 Feb 09

I could take my favourite Book: Manifold Destiny – Cooking on your car engine.

Great book. No I’m not making it up, it’s real.

Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com