Local Sports Wrap – 27th and 28th September

Antony Perry 30 September 2014

FUTSAL: Futsal Premier League

The men’s Futsal Premier League season began Friday week ago, and Monaro Panthers Green and Untouchables began their respective campaigns with wins.

Monaro took on Weston-Molonglo Timberwolves and was made to work hard for its 8-4 victory.

Dragan Stegnjaic grabbed three goals in a star performance, and he was joined on the score card by two-goal Thomas James, Rui Ferriera, Nathan Walker and Pepe Varga.

The Timberwolves played a classy brand of futsal that yielded goals by Tony Aleksovski (2), Daniel Barac and Lukas Cole.

In the other opening night clash, Untouchables swept aside Monaro Panthers Grey 4-1.

Aidan Brown, Brett Forward, Richard Moon and Lachlan Riddell were all on target for Untouchables, while Josh Calabria scored the only goal for Monaro.


Canberra United’s unbeaten start to the 2014-15 W-League season came to an end when it went down 4-2 to Melbourne Victory at McKellar Park on Sunday afternoon.

United failed to find its rhythm in the round three contest. As a result, the hosts suffered its biggest home defeat ever, the 4-2 score line eclipsing its previous biggest home defeat of 2-1.

After a messy opening, the game burst to life in the 38th minute when Grace Field brought down Christine Nairn in the box. Lauren Barnes stepped up and coolly converted from the penalty spot to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

Stephanie Catley had her side two goals to the good four minutes later after sending the ball into the back of the United net following some great lead up work from Lisa De Vanna.

It was 3-0 in Melbourne’s favour early in the second-half. Lisa De Vanna was the villain with her perfect lob from the edge of the area finding its way into the goal.

Lori Lindsey hit back for United with a stunning free-kick from close to the sideline, but Gema Simon soon put the game beyond Canberra’s reach with a cool finish to make it 4-1 to the Victory.

Caitlin Munoz scored with 10 minutes remaining, but it was nothing more than a mere consolation as the Victory saw out the match to secure the three competition points.

RUGBY UNION: National Rugby Championship< The Canberra Vikings suffered its second defeat of the National Rugby Championship after going down 34-13 to the Melbourne Rising at AAMI Park last Thursday night. The Vikings were left to rue a poor start to the contest and missed opportunities in the second-half as they fell to the unbeaten Melbourne outfit. The Rising played fast, direct rugby, and the Vikings were unable to cope with the ferocity of its opposition. The home side exploited that inability, jumping out to a 26-0 lead after just 25 minutes. It looked as if the Rising would go on to embarrass its opposition, but Canberra worked its way into the contest and managed to halt the forward momentum of the hosts. Robbie Coleman got Canberra on the board in the 30th minute, and his effort was converted by Jessie Mogg.

The two sides entered half-time with the score 26-8.

The Vikings had the majority of the possession and territory in the second-half, but continued to make elementary errors when presented with scoring opportunities.

Jerome Nuimata finally crossed with 10 minutes remaining, but it was too little too late was the early damage done by Melbourne was too much for Canberra to come back from.

What's Your Opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site