Locally produced Gelato at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome

poptop 29 April 2013 45
Gelato Mio

Gelato Mio, has opened at the Hyperdome which sells locally produced Gelati and claims them to be authentically Italian. I have missed having reasonable access to good Gelati and so have vested and deeply selfish interest in encouraging this one to commercial success.

After braving the delights of shepherding some younger relatives through their retail needs, we paused for gelati before heading home.

Ordered were a Mars Bar and Caramel, a Blood Orange, and a Coffee and Lemon. All three of us were completely delighted with our selections (although the Belgian Chocolate does look darkly tempting and I do regret not trying it). The waffle cones are fresh and super crispy.

While not cheap ($3:80 for a single generous scoop, $4.80 for a double) the Gelati are cleanly flavourful, refreshing and authentic tasting.

Well worth a drop in if you are passing through the Hyperdome.
Gelati

45 Responses to Locally produced Gelato at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome
1 2 3 Next »
BelcoMan BelcoMan 11:40 am 30 Apr 13

Madam Cholet said :

It will be interesting to see with the huge in crease in online sales what shopping centre owners decide to do with these places. .

That is hardly a “pressing” issue.
I agree with not getting down and kneeling to worship the place. It is only a shopping centre and it serves that role triumphantly.

NoImRight NoImRight 10:03 am 30 Apr 13

Madam Cholet said :

The Hyperdome should have been bulldozed a long time ago. No cosmetic surgery will make it an acceptable place to go. Although I don’t actually go to many shopping centres at all these days, I think the Hyperdome is probably one of the worst you could pick. It will be interesting to see with the huge in crease in online sales what shopping centre owners decide to do with these places. What are shopping centres of the future going to be like? I would hate to think that Hyperdomes would continue to be built in years to come.

Bring back the high street.

I go there when I need to buy stuff. I dont expect it to fill a void in my artistic soul. Its a shopping centre. Doesnt claim to be anything else. If you want to get cred for being sensitive and intellectual complain about something that is meant to fill that purpose.

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 8:22 am 30 Apr 13

Bring back the high street.

Conan of Cooma Conan of Cooma 7:47 am 30 Apr 13

Rawhide Kid Part3 said :

I ordered Gelato (Chocolate mix) from a specialty lolly and Gelato shop in Jindabyne a few months ago. And as they were out of stock at the counter, the shop assistant proceeded to go out the back and bring in a box with the Streets trademark on it, and unwrap the container also with a streets trade mark on it. It tasted good but I was disappointed in the fact I was under the impression it was made on the premises or at least locally and was genuine. Are you sure the Tuggeranong Hyperdome one’s are genuine Italian Gelato, not from Streets or other multi national company?

Nothing is real in Jindabyne. Even the people are automatons.

grunge_hippy grunge_hippy 7:56 pm 29 Apr 13

The actual shop is in one of the many black holes in the hyperdome out the back near the target entrance so they have resorted to setting up a stand outside kmart in order to drum up business.

They wont last.

The permanent shop needs to be near the movies at least to get some of the through traffic.

justin heywood justin heywood 7:19 pm 29 Apr 13

Genie said :

People still go to the Hyperdome ?

People still think saying “people still…..?” makes them look clever?

Genie Genie 5:53 pm 29 Apr 13

People still go to the Hyperdome ?

Mav Mav 4:48 pm 29 Apr 13

Gelato!! YUCK! It is revolting stuff imo.

muscledude_oz muscledude_oz 4:32 pm 29 Apr 13

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

The same way something called sorbet can be Italian.

rosscoact rosscoact 3:54 pm 29 Apr 13

gazket said :

I’m sure Gelato mio is a world wide franchise..I doubt very much they make the gelato locally

Yes, amd with its worldwide HQ in Indonesia

gazket gazket 3:48 pm 29 Apr 13

daddy daddy 3:19 pm 29 Apr 13

The owner is authentically Italian, coming from a long line of Italians involved in the food industry. Some of the different, non traditional flavours are produced using the Italian process and machinery and applying the different range of available ingredients.

poptop poptop 2:16 pm 29 Apr 13

poetix said :

poptop said :

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

Probably in the same way as Belgian Chocolate can be; they have mango too.

True, but Mars Bar flavour seems wrong, somehow. However, it is in Tuggeranong, where lots of people seem to regard Mars Bars as fruit. (Cue outrage…)

Outrage activated.

As commercially available Gelati and Mars Bars are contemporaneous, I doubt the Italians see a difficulty.

Mars, momento di vero godimento.

Diggety Diggety 2:00 pm 29 Apr 13

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

Maybe the Roman god of war deserves a mention.

poetix poetix 1:54 pm 29 Apr 13

poptop said :

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

Probably in the same way as Belgian Chocolate can be; they have mango too.

NoImRight NoImRight 1:47 pm 29 Apr 13

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

They dont have Mars Bars in Italy?

poptop poptop 1:26 pm 29 Apr 13

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

Probably in the same way as Belgian Chocolate can be; they have mango too. I guess it depends on how far back in history is the cut off point for the source of the ingredients.

poetix poetix 1:05 pm 29 Apr 13

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

poptop poptop 12:37 pm 29 Apr 13

I’m not SURE – it’s just what they told me.

Rawhide Kid Part3 Rawhide Kid Part3 12:11 pm 29 Apr 13