Locally produced Gelato at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome

poptop 29 April 2013 45
Gelato Mio

Gelato Mio, has opened at the Hyperdome which sells locally produced Gelati and claims them to be authentically Italian. I have missed having reasonable access to good Gelati and so have vested and deeply selfish interest in encouraging this one to commercial success.

After braving the delights of shepherding some younger relatives through their retail needs, we paused for gelati before heading home.

Ordered were a Mars Bar and Caramel, a Blood Orange, and a Coffee and Lemon. All three of us were completely delighted with our selections (although the Belgian Chocolate does look darkly tempting and I do regret not trying it). The waffle cones are fresh and super crispy.

While not cheap ($3:80 for a single generous scoop, $4.80 for a double) the Gelati are cleanly flavourful, refreshing and authentic tasting.

Well worth a drop in if you are passing through the Hyperdome.
Gelati

45 Responses to Locally produced Gelato at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome
Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 12:39 pm 30 Apr 13

BelcoMan said :

Madam Cholet said :

It will be interesting to see with the huge in crease in online sales what shopping centre owners decide to do with these places. .

That is hardly a “pressing” issue.
I agree with not getting down and kneeling to worship the place. It is only a shopping centre and it serves that role triumphantly.

Triumphantly? You may not have noticed that the Hyperdome is an absolute hole that is populated mostly these days by discount stores selling tat. I won’t go there unless I absolutely must, for example Medicare. And when I do go I park out in the fresh air so I don’t have to walk through the putrid smokers haven that is a car park.

Shops are even leaving the Hyperdome and any new shops that have sprung up are mostly relocations from other areas. Shopping centres suck the life out of places, but I’m happy for you to continue to participate.

Owners of these types of shopping centres must rub their hands with glee because they know that there are undiscerning shoppers out there who will put up with the lowest possible standards. If you don’t demand more, you won’t be offered it.

poptop poptop 2:05 pm 30 Apr 13

Umm I quite liked the gelato; I am glad to be able to pop into Jardines and there seems to be the general mix of shops.

I am not certain why or how the Hyperdome is worse [or better] than other malls. Is this another we-hate-Tuggeranong thing?

Funky1 Funky1 2:38 pm 30 Apr 13

Getting back to the actual thread subject…..

These guys do make their gelato locally. They usually have a cart at the DFO most weekends and we have used them to make ice cream birthday cakes in the past.

cas72 cas72 11:36 pm 03 May 13

Rawhide Kid Part3 said :

I ordered Gelato (Chocolate mix) from a specialty lolly and Gelato shop in Jindabyne a few months ago. And as they were out of stock at the counter, the shop assistant proceeded to go out the back and bring in a box with the Streets trademark on it, and unwrap the container also with a streets trade mark on it. It tasted good but I was disappointed in the fact I was under the impression it was made on the premises or at least locally and was genuine. Are you sure the Tuggeranong Hyperdome one’s are genuine Italian Gelato, not from Streets or other multi national company?

Perhaps you should pop into the shop and ask the owner Garry to give you a tour, and view him making the Gelato. Definitely not Streets no worry there. Was privy to a tour a couple of weeks ago. Def the real deal.

cas72 cas72 11:37 pm 03 May 13

gazket said :

I’m sure Gelato mio is a world wide franchise..I doubt very much they make the gelato locally

The Gelato Mio is no franchise. Call in and watch the owner craft his Gelato.

cas72 cas72 11:50 pm 03 May 13

Gelato Mio is no franchise. All equipment has been imported from Italy. The process in making the Gelato is definitely made the way they make it in Italy. Those in doubt of the authenticy of the product, should call in a chat with the owner Garry and get him to give you a tour, and watch him make some of his divine Gelato. Garry is very knowledgeable being of Italian heritage, and spending time over the years working in Italy. Well known 5th generation pastry chef of more than 30 years, Garry has worked in many 5 star hotels around the world, so it is more than just in his blood.

cas72 cas72 12:10 am 04 May 13

As for the cost, on comparison to some of the other gelato businesses in Canberra, the equivalent of one scoop or less at $4.90 at most of the major franchises ($3.80 at Gelato Mio) the product sold is way under price for what you get. You actually get change out of $5.00. Well worth a try.

cas72 cas72 12:18 am 04 May 13

muscledude_oz said :

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

The same way something called sorbet can be Italian.

It is not the flavours, but the process in making the gelato that is truly done the authentic Italian way. Mars Bar Caramel is the English equivalent translation to dulce deleche.

7captains 7captains 12:58 am 04 May 13

cas72 said :

muscledude_oz said :

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

The same way something called sorbet can be Italian.

Ok, prob identifying myself here to a few rioters. But as a Latin American loving all the interest in Latin food that we’re now finding in Oz. And in Canberra it’s great that the influence spreads beyond drive through “Mexican”, and Salvadoran food at Gorman.

Only last week I was at a gourmet butcher, and pointed out that it’s CHORIZO not CHORIZO SAUSAGE. Chorizo= Sausage in Spanish.

Now on to this thread- Dulce de leche= Sweetness of Milk, is Argentine NOT Italian. In fact a staple in every single Argentine household- great on toast, croissant, on the spoon straight out of the jar (and on to your waist), biscuit/ cake filling, bon bons, alfajores (the tim tam equivalents of Argentina) and of course in ice cream form in every ice creamery in Argentina.

Lastly- it is in no way similar to a Mars Bar. It might have a caramel filling, but that is not Dulce De Leche which I could really eat a whole jar of right now….

Would be great to import, but standard food restrictions apply. A few South American- Australians make a good version of it but you need to go to Sydney (as usual, though sometimes a jar or 2 can be found at Supabarn Civic). Or sample a truffle with dulce de leche at Koko Black. Or boil a tin of condensed milk (under supervision at your own risk!).

Sorry just had to intervene when I read the Mars Bar bit. I do get excited when I see Dulce de leche at gelato bars here in Canberra, but then get disappointed because it’s quite clearly caramel with an ‘exotic” name rather than the real deal.

cas72 cas72 10:38 am 04 May 13

7captains said :

cas72 said :

muscledude_oz said :

poetix said :

How can Mars Bar flavour be ‘authentically Italian’?

The same way something called sorbet can be Italian.

Your view as many others is open to interpretation. Call into Gelato Mio and check it out.

cas72 cas72 10:57 am 04 May 13

rosscoact said :

gazket said :

Yes, amd with its worldwide HQ in Indonesia

No HQ in Indonesia. HQ is at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome. Garry will be hard at it, making his locally made authentic Gelato the Italian way.

Madam Cholet Madam Cholet 12:49 pm 04 May 13

You can purchase dulche de leche at the deli at Fyshwick markets and you also used to be able to get it at that little grocery store in Manuka near Coles – at least prior to the change of ownership.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 1:57 pm 04 May 13

cas72 said :

I thought it sounded like a very reasonable price too. I can count the times I’ve been to the Hyperdome in my life on one hand but that may well be about to change because I am a sucker for delicious foods.

rosscoact rosscoact 4:30 pm 04 May 13

cas72 said :

rosscoact said :

gazket said :

Yes, amd with its worldwide HQ in Indonesia

I see. so it is the same name as GelatoMio in Indonesia, UK and US but nothing to do with it?

cas72 cas72 5:44 pm 04 May 13

gazket said :

gazket said :

Yes, amd with its worldwide HQ in Indonesia

HQ is Tuggeranong Hyperdome, def not Indonesia. Call in and check it out for yourself. Worth a visit.

cas72 cas72 5:52 pm 04 May 13

rosscoact said :

cas72 said :

rosscoact said :

gazket said :

Yes, amd with its worldwide HQ in Indonesia

It is actually Bertoldo’s GelatoMio. to be correct. One of a kind.

cas72 cas72 5:54 pm 04 May 13

Madam Cholet said :

Yep true. Not hard to get, and readily available.

cas72 cas72 5:55 pm 04 May 13

DrKoresh said :

cas72 said :

You will not be disappointed.

cas72 cas72 5:56 pm 04 May 13

Just to be correct it is actually Bertoldo’s GelatoMio, not Gelato Mio.

7captains 7captains 10:08 am 05 May 13

Madam Cholet said :

Yes you are right- completely forgot about that- same brand that supabarn used to stock. it’s made in oz, but the supply is as intermittent as trying to get yakult! i’ll head there this afternoon…

Region Group Pty Ltd