News

Daily flights from Canberra
to Singapore and the world

Locations of New Fixed Speed Cameras

By Deano 17 May 2007 53

The locations of the new fixed speed cameras are rumoured to be:

— Federal highway, southbound, approaching Antill St roundabout.
— Federal Highway, northbound, approaching Antill St roundabout.
— Tuggeranong Parkway, both directions, near Cotter Road overpass.
— Tuggeranong Parkway, both directions, near Hindmarsh drive overpass.
— Barton Highway, both directions, between Curran Drive and Gold Creek Road.
— Barton Highway, both directions, between Gungahlin Drive and Ellenborough Street.
— Monaro Highway, both directions, near Hindmarsh drive overpass.
— Monaro Highway, northbound, between Lanyon Drive and Sheppard Street.
— Monaro Highway, southbound, between Mugga Lane and Isabella Drive.

What’s Your opinion?

53 Responses to
Locations of New Fixed Speed Cameras
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
bigred 4:55 pm 18 May 07

Research by that esteemed BBC program (Top Gear) showed that a speed camera can be beaten if one travels fast enough to be out of the frame before the second sbaphot is taken. From memory, the speed required was a bit over 170 mph (not km/h).

Deano 4:42 pm 18 May 07

There is research from the UK (which I can’t put my finger on at the moment) that shows that speed cameras actually make traffic worse because they encourage all drivers to travel at the same speed which results in traffic bunching up. Without speed cameras, speeds are spread around the legal limit and results in the traffic being better distributed along the road.

bigred 4:29 pm 18 May 07

Al, yes there is something special about the flesh on your cheeks bunching around your ears, and exceeding every speed limit in the country with rpm left and 4 gears to go!

astrojax 4:00 pm 18 May 07

umm, but if you only ever drive at a speed below the limit*, what is the problem?

what’s the rush?

(i know everyone will laugh at me and think me woosy, all that… but really, if everyone drove smoothly and calmly, no-one would get uptight at the ‘slow’ car in front of them and everyone wins. isn’t it a no-brainer?)

* unless you get a lend of a ducati and get on a low-traffic twisty road…

Al 3:33 pm 18 May 07

Yeah – had a ZZR bigred – wasn’t riding – more like matter transfer. But got wiped out from behind someone with eyes wide shut.

When able to straddle a bike again, got a thumping big shiny noisy cruiser that said “keep the F*** away from me” – life got a whole lot simpler…

bigred 2:33 pm 18 May 07

Exactly Al, anyone who had seriously tried one of those little gems knows exactly what is possible. And if you want to experience really serious performance try one of 1,000 cc sport bikes.

jemmy 1:43 pm 18 May 07

It doesn’t make sense to have cameras on the approaches to the Federal Hwy/Antill St roundabout because you’re already slowing down.* On the southbound side, the speed limit changes 100 to 80 then it’s the roundabout, and you’re not supposed to have cameras within 200m of a speed change, so that one would definitely be a weird location.

I wonder if they’ll be on the departure side where people speed up. Would make more sense to me.

* putting a camera before a location where you *have* to slow down to physically proceed? How can anyone justify it on safety grounds? Must be revenue.

Al 1:07 pm 18 May 07

Given that my boy-racer-with-no-family-obligations days are over, I’ve not driven a modern V8 to be sure. But up against a same-era V8 and on a switch-back infested road, the humble little Paseo took account of many a competitor with a bigger set of numbers.
Likewise I’m sure some of the little hot hatches (with or without hairdrier) around now would match up well against modern V8s of their same era.
My point was that VY’s point that you *need* a V8 to pull off a quick squirt in the other lane on a country road doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Now if we’re talking about towing stuff, there’s a different story, but we weren’t.
PS: I have owned 2 stripped back and completely rebuilt V8s. I miss the sound, but not the fuel bills.

MrM 12:00 pm 18 May 07

Al – you might think that, but go and drive a modern V8 and you will see how utterly, completely wrong you are.

Just for the record, assuming you have the most recent model Paseo, your power to weight ratio is 69kW to 921kg, which is 74.9kW/tonne. A Commodore V8 is 270kW to 1770kg these days, which would give you 152kW/tonne. See?

I don’t really mind, by the way, if the Govt does want to put up more speed cameras, but let’s make sure that the speed limit is realistic in the first place, *and* that going 10km/h over it actually causes a road safety issue. I hope there will be a reasonable level of tolerance in these cameras.

If you’re going 20 over, fine, you’ve crossed the line between “I went too fast because I wasn’t paying full attention to my speedo” and “I wilfully exceeded the speed limit” and you shouldn’t complain about the fine.

Thumper 10:39 am 18 May 07

Pure revenue raising, nothing more. Has any one noticed that in fact thre are more deaths on our roads these days than 20 years ago and there were no speed cameras 20 years ago.

Thus, speed cameras cause deaths on the roads.

Well, using current government logic and thinking.

AG Canberra 10:10 am 18 May 07

The Minister claimed that “the statistics were available on the website” on 666 tuesday morning. Guess what? There are none. His office is unable to explain exactly how the committee comes up with these locations – and what, if any stats are used.

I think we should be able to see their reasoning for the selection of these sites – and in 2 years see the corresponding reduction in major crashes at these sites….

Or am I dreaming?

bigred 9:52 am 18 May 07

and Al, yes a further example there of one rule for plods, one for the rest of us. Just saw a uniformed cop parked in a no stopping zone while dropping their kidlet at school. Yes, I pulled up behind him to drop mine. haha!

bigred 9:48 am 18 May 07

Al, you are dreaming if you think a Paseo is in the same league as the modern stuff. Before you get annoyed though, I thought the same way until I upgraded recently and realised the improvements that had been made. Mind you, I cannot see why anyone needs a 6 litre V8 when the highest speed limit is 110km/h.

Al 9:40 am 18 May 07

VY I have a 1.5 litre normally aspirated Paseo that can compete with most V8s due to the very attractive power-to-weight ratio.
And it handles like a go cart rather than a waterbed.
It’s not the size of the donk that counts…

Aeek makes a good point. I do a bit of traveling on NSW country roads, and being able to overtake quickly is one of the biggest issues. Hence, a V8.

Al 9:28 am 18 May 07

Driving down Gungahlin Drive between Palmerston and Mitchell at 9.20 last night and stuck on 80. Passed by police car doing at least 100. No lights or sirens. Just cops breaking the law. Because they can – apparently…
Great example.
Toyed with signalling them over to the side of the road and handing out a lecture!
Interested to hear what our AFP readers think of this?

Spectra 9:57 pm 17 May 07

bigred: Cool – I’ve got no problem with the idea of speed limiters per se, and your example is a perfect one of when having one would be handy – my point was that government mandated ones would serve no purpose in terms of law enforcement. If you’d find one helpful, as you obviously do (and I probably would), great! Get one installed. But it won’t remove the need for cops actually checking peoples speed as they drive.

Aeek 8:44 pm 17 May 07

How is it safer spending minutes overtaking a semi,
when a few seconds over will have you clear?

bigred 8:42 pm 17 May 07

Spectra, my chariot has a speed limiter. I leave it off mostly and preset at 40 km/h. Very handy to be able to hit a switch in school zones.

Genie, we will pay for it one way or another. Why not just charge the users?

schmerica_ 8:40 pm 17 May 07

GnT is right. If you miss the huge ‘Red Light and Speed Camera ahead’ signs and the fact that you can see the cameras a mile away – then maybe you should get fined so then you would pay attention to your surroundings whilst driving.

Not to mention the big-ass ‘Im trying to blend in’ white vans. I’ve never been caught speeding, and although it sucks that you have to pay a fine, maybe some people need to pay fines to realise that they broke the law.

Copyright © 2018 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.