Look both ways before crossing the street

Special G 15 November 2007 53

I was reading the the CT (second page) this morning that the little car thief who killed Clea Rose in the bus interchange has already been picked up for stealing cars again only 4 months since being released on parole after serving 18 months of a 3 year sentence. There a several previous threads on Riot.[see here]

Add to this breaching almost every condition of his parole.

The ACT Courts have seen it in their wisdom to release him on bail, again, with ‘strict’ conditions.

I remember previously Clea’s family having a monster dig at the Police and offering to rehabilitate the youth. There was an inquest into Police procedures requested by the family. All in all does anyone else think that maybe the kid is just a little skid mark on society?

A timely reminder to look both ways before crossing the streets.

53 Responses to Look both ways before crossing the street
nyssa76 nyssa76 7:25 pm 17 Nov 07

Give up DMD, you can’t win.

Your ridiculous mantra of rehab is bogus in this case.

Actually, my thoughts are this: if you kill someone by your stupidity, and REPEAT the act again, you deserve EVERYTHING that you get and some.

He hasn’t learnt, so why don’t you pay attention and grow up? Or are you lost without the Student Union?

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 6:19 pm 17 Nov 07

Nyssa, you’re a teacher so you smell. Schools smell too. Like poo. Or maybe that’s just your comments.

So…if women are mutilated all the time…doesn’t that mean we should be taking steps to stamp that out?

Honestly, you can’t do bad shit to people on the sole basis that bad shit happens to other people. Following your train of logic, that gives people the right to kill people. They don’t have that right, in case you’ve forgotten.

Pretty infantile thinking, there, Ms. Maybe you’re on the wrong side of the river?

Pandy Pandy 11:09 pm 16 Nov 07

A fox knows its own smell DMD

nyssa76 nyssa76 10:15 pm 16 Nov 07

Now now Mael, be careful or DMD might call you sick or cruel….

Mælinar Mælinar 9:41 pm 16 Nov 07

There’s an old saying: fool me once, wear it on the chin. Fool me twice, more fool me.

The ACT legal system should take this particular saying in mind when administering the labotomy. The fact that this person has slipped through the cracks is the fault of the legal system – there’s more than enough rock spiders out there to test the cracks.

nyssa76 nyssa76 7:45 pm 16 Nov 07

tap, when you take a life by being an idiot and then continue to do the same act which took a life, you deserve to be kicked up the arse with pointy steel caps.

This kid HASN’T learnt his lesson. It’s obvious that with time, and *cough* maturity, one would think that he would have learnt.

DMD, women are mutilated all the time (and I mean MUTILATED) even here in Australia.

Surgically breaking someone’s legs is a more soft approach than using other means.

This idiot has taken a life and continues to be a dickhead. He has lost the right to be a part of society.

Oh and please don’t attack my profession or my workplace again. It’s a pathetic infantile attempt to piss me off when all it does is make me wonder if you can put a sentence together given the immature intellect you have to offer.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 6:50 pm 16 Nov 07

Why did I suspect penis’, or lack thereof, were involved in this, Pandy?

Death is not better – and even in the states, they don’t execute people for manslaughter. Douchebag.

Pandy Pandy 6:15 pm 16 Nov 07

Death is better. And for you DMD if your cock is so soft.

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 3:51 pm 16 Nov 07

Nyssa needs you at her school, neanderthalsis.

Seriously – although he’s f-king up what’s been offered to him, is jail much of an alternative?

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 3:24 pm 16 Nov 07

I do strongly believe that this poor youngster can be reformed and rehabilitated and go on to become a contributing member of society.

The rehabilitation process will need to involve being publically pilloried and horsewhipped, but I have always believed that corporal punishment is character building for young chaps.

tap tap 12:36 pm 16 Nov 07

nyssa,

Can you clarify your position for me please?

Keep him alive, and stop him from stealing cars?

How do you want him stopped from stealing cars? through rendering him physically unable to do so? If that is the case I’m thinking you must be quite a fan of some fundamentalist regimes in the middle east then?

Deadmandrinking Deadmandrinking 12:09 pm 16 Nov 07

It’s still physical mutilation, Nyssa. That’s sick, you should know that. Hk0rduck sounds like they were trying to be funny, but failed…

And 17 is still young. I’ve come quite a way since then. I’m 23.

Vandam, all you’ve proved in your post is that sending him to jail will have an adverse effect.

To be honest, though, the system being what it is, there’s hardly anything judges can do. The kid is almost a lost cause. He needs help, but it sure isn’t going to be found inbetween jail and bail. Perhaps his case (like many others) can be used as a platform to push for more effective rehab methods, like education, training, working with victims, NOT putting himself in yards with people who will celebrate his behavior.

vandam vandam 11:30 am 16 Nov 07

Unfortunately I’m sure the offenders will be classed as heroes in jail. Big problems I think in years to come. They will know that from that incident on he can’t possibly go to jail for more than 3 years. So if he steals a car, gets caught, doesn’t kill anyone, then he can expect that his sentence will be around the 6month mark. Not bad odds if your stealing 1 car a day and get caught every 6 months!

nyssa76 nyssa76 11:27 am 16 Nov 07

AD, so was the fact that he killed another human being and then committed the same crime that lead to said death less than 6 months after getting out of detention.

DMD, what I think personally is my opinion. Now, should I speak of it to students, by all means, kick my arse. But the fact of the matter is this, I didn’t.

He should be incapacitated so as to NOT steal another car. Taking someone’s life away was obviously not enough of a deterrent.

At least I didn’t say shoot him – like other RA contributors have said in the past. At least my idea would 1) keep him alive and 2) stop him stealing cars. Rehab sure as hell hasn’t helped.

Serendipity Serendipity 11:15 am 16 Nov 07

Prison authorities the world over will concede that “rehabilitation” is mostly a crock. Like those involved in the tragic Clea Rose incident, do you really think that the token amount of jail/Quamby time has real had any rehabilitative affect. I think not, in fact I think that this offender probably learned more about criminal activities inside. Of course he will steal a car again. He has done it for years, he enjoys it. Its more of a game where sometimes he gets caught. So is there a real answer? Sure, we can take the redneck approach of castrating/shooting him etc, but what that clearly indicates the emotional reaction to this. In our society this is not the answer. I think a combination of much more severe sentences and stringent programs whilst in jail to make the offenders accept responsibility for their actions, rather than must make them go through the hoops so they can get a tick in the box to allow them back into our society. I feel for the Rose family but I also feel for those two young cops who were involved. All will carry this incident with them forever. I fear the offenders will remember it too, but in a vastly different way.

vandam vandam 11:12 am 16 Nov 07

Impassive,

Your very wrong that there is no sort of rehabilitation in prisons. There is plenty of support and generally people going into jail come out with all intentions of changing their bad ways. (some love it there because they get looked after, are with their mates and fed for free) The problem about rehabilitation is that people are sent back to the community where they got themselves in trouble in the first place. There is no rehabilitation after jail.

I would love to see them keep getting the rehabilitation in Jail then sent to a completely different place to start again.

This 14 year old got off very lightly. He was portrayed as the innocent kid who just made one bad mistake. Everyone felt for him including the victims family. Now FFS is society so FU that it is acceptable for a 14 yr old to kill someone in a stolen car and get off lightly? No body realises that the kid has a more criminal history than I’ve owned underwear in my entire life! Clearly something isn’t working.

Snahons_scv6_berlina Snahons_scv6_berlina 11:11 am 16 Nov 07

“The ACT Courts have seen it in their wisdom to release him on bail, again, with ’strict’ conditions.” – This appears to be happening all too frequently, a person gets paroled based on the premise of “good behaviour”, however, once those conditions are violated, all the courts do is “oh look, we’ll let you go but we’re just going to have to make those conditions tougher”.

What a crock, The crim was given a chance to modify their behaviour and yet blew that chance, how on earth does the judge think that imposing more stringent conditions is going to make the crim modify their behaviour ?

Impassive Impassive 10:54 am 16 Nov 07

Our prison system does not incorporate a concept of rehabilitation. Psychopaths cannot be rehabilitated – there is no treatment for that disease.

We simply need to be protected from those in the community who have no consideration for the wellbeing of the rest of us.

Stung Stung 10:30 am 16 Nov 07

send him to New Zealand

Adza Adza 8:39 am 16 Nov 07

I doubt he can be rehabilitated…

Lock him up for 30 years, that’ll give him time to think about it.

Region Group Pty Ltd