Around 20 people have been safely evacuated from a multiple level apartment block in Lyneham following a fire tonight.
ACT Fire & Rescue crews arrived at the Wattle Street building just after 7 o’clock to find a fire on the second floor of the premises.
Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the flames and prevent it from spreading.
Crews are now starting to ventilate the building.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
The ACT FIre & Rescue HAZMAT crew will conduct atmospheric monitoring before giving the all clear for residents to return inside the building.
One person is being assessed on scene by ACT Ambulance Service intensive care paramedics for minor smoke inhalation.
The fire started in the laundry of the second level apartment and has been deemed accidental.
The initial damage bill has been estimated at $30,000.
Neighbours rang emergency triple zero (000) after hearing a smoke alarm next door.
One male was assessed on scene by ACT Ambulance Service intensive care paramedics but did not require transport to hospital.
ACT Fire & Rescue would like to remind the community to ensure they have working smoke alarms.