Man accused of assaulting his 95-year-old blind grandmother

Albert McKnight 13 November 2021
ACT Law Courts Photo: Michelle Kroll Region Media

A man has been refused bail over allegedly assaulting his grandmother. Photo: Michelle Kroll Region Media

Bail has been refused for a man accused of assaulting his 95-year-old legally blind grandmother and he will remain behind bars until his next court appearance.

Court documents show the man went into her bedroom in November 2021 where she was lying down preparing to take her nightly medications, as she suffers from a number of health problems.

He allegedly demanded she give him money so he could buy drugs. He allegedly grabbed the phone next to the bed and tried calling his mother to ask her for money, but she didn’t pick up, so he told his grandmother to call her, but she couldn’t reach her either.

“The defendant lost his temper and started shouting incomprehensible things at [the grandmother]. He became furious with [her],” police allege in the court documents.

“The defendant threatened that he would get a knife out of the drawer and use it on himself, or make the police shoot him.

“[The grandmother] believed this was due to the defendant hanging out for drugs, and that he made threats so she would provide the money to him.”


READ ALSO: Teens admit they kidnapped Peter Keeley, deny murdering him


The man then allegedly “grabbed” his grandmother by her shoulders and yelled in her face to call his mother.

When he stepped outside the house, she locked the door behind him, shutting him out. Police arrived to see him yelling at her to let him back in.

She later told police she was worried her grandson would return to her home and she wouldn’t be able to stop him or defend herself. While she believes he has a drug problem, she said she could no longer support him due to her ill health.

On Thursday (11 November), the man’s lawyer, Ms Wallis from Legal Aid, told the ACT Magistrates Court he had significant mental health conditions.

Special Magistrate Jane Campbell was concerned about him committing offences if released from custody and endangering the safety of his grandmother, a vulnerable person due to her age and relationship with him.


READ ALSO: Victim forced into car boot was bashed with a tyre iron before being abandoned near national park


The man has a history of family violence offences, and Magistrate Campbell said the grandmother had been his victim on other occasions.

She was also not satisfied he would comply with bail conditions if released as he had not complied with the terms of a suspended sentence he had already been given for other matters.

The man was charged with common assault but did not enter a plea. Bail was refused. He will next appear in court in December.

If this story has raised any concerns for you, 1800RESPECT, the national 24-hour sexual assault, family and domestic violence counselling line, can be contacted on 1800 737 732. Help and support is also available through The Canberra Rape Crisis Centre 02 6247 2525, The Domestic Violence Crisis Service ACT 02 6280 0900, and Lifeline: 13 11 14. In an emergency call 000.


CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

 Top
Region Group Pty Ltd

Search across the site