Michael Watt found dead

johnboy 8 May 2012 49

The ABC is reporting that Michael David Watt has been found dead.

Michael David Watt, 25, from Conder had been charged with four acts of indecency, two sex acts and one count of using the internet to deprave young people.

All charges involved a 12-year-old boy who was in the man’s care between November 16, 2011, and February 23 this year when the offences were alleged to have occurred.

Watt was granted bail in the ACT Magistrates Court last month.

Police report no suspicious circumstances.

Now the next question is how Community Services here in Canberra came to be putting children into his care.

49 Responses to Michael Watt found dead
1 2 3 Next »
bundah bundah 3:22 pm 08 May 12

carnardly said :

well he hadn’t actually been proved guilty yet….

If he actually committed suicide then that speaks volumes regarding guilt!

HenryBG HenryBG 2:05 pm 08 May 12

Lookout Smithers said :

Right.
We should sweep paedophilia under the carpet because shaming paedophiles creates a taboo environment that helps sexual deviency survive.

Ever thought of getting a job in the “Sweeping-it-Under-the-Carpet” department at the Vatican?

Honestly, the grotesque nonsense people are taking away from their sociology courses is quite mind-boggling.

vet111 said :

If the allegations were true, I’ll sleep a lot better at night now.

I doubt you were his type.

vet111 vet111 1:30 pm 08 May 12

I’m sorry for his family.

However, I’m going to say it. If the allegations were true, I’ll sleep a lot better at night now.

harvyk1 harvyk1 1:28 pm 08 May 12

chewy14 said :

This is why I support not naming accused people until they are found guilty.

I agree, innocent or guilty, mud sticks…

As soon as someone is accused of something, unless at the exact same time there is pretty good evidence brought to light as to why the person is innocent, the damage is done to the persons reputation.

It’s basically an extension of “trust is something which takes a long time to build, but only takes suspicion, not proof, to destroy”

6matt9 6matt9 1:24 pm 08 May 12

I’m sure it’s pretty obvious to everyone but he did commit suicide. Someone very close to me worked with Michael last year.

p1 p1 12:48 pm 08 May 12

Lookout Smithers said :

johnboy said :

They do report them when there’s some pressing public interest, as in this case.

Pretty unhealthy interest wouldn’t you say? I am sure people are aware that behavior like sexual deviancy can only survive in a taboo environment with shaming and ridicule a big part of it. For all the hate of this kind of crime.

The original alleged crime was reported, as was the identity of the accuse. Had this non-suspicious death not been reported, anyone following the case casually would be left wondering why it never went to court.

deejay deejay 12:42 pm 08 May 12

Ozi said :

Look, what you said is all very well and good and I do agree with those points. However, it is not applicable in this case as, if you actually read the details, you would note that police opposed bail on this man.

No “tacit agreement” there, then! The people in your so called “police circles” wanted him kept in custody, which would have significantly limited his ability to have a “non-suspicious death.”

Fair comment. I expressed myself unclearly – by that point in the original thread I was responding to a broader discussion. I wasn’t necessarily intimating that the police in this particular case were engineering matters for this particular man, though I can see how it reads that way.

Ben_Dover Ben_Dover 12:38 pm 08 May 12

Skidbladnir said :

“Yes he should be allowed bail, if he promises to off himself quietly when out.”

Way to go, people. :[

Did they make it a term of his bail then?

milkman milkman 12:36 pm 08 May 12

This is extremely sad no matter which way you look at it.

chewy14 chewy14 12:25 pm 08 May 12

This is why I support not naming accused people until they are found guilty.

Lookout Smithers Lookout Smithers 12:19 pm 08 May 12

johnboy said :

Ozi Ozi 12:18 pm 08 May 12

deejay said :

To quote what I said in the previous thread about this man:

As someone who has had a father and a fiance commit suicide in separate instances after allegations of this type of misconduct – one case definitively proven false, one case probably true – I can tell you that the tacit gentleman’s agreement in police circles to give men, especially older men, time to kill themselves before being taken into custody is abominable. It does not help those making the allegations, who are left with an enormous legacy of guilt (although in the case of those making false allegations, it’s deserved). It does not help the families of those accused, who will live with was-he-or-wasn’t-he-guilty forever. It does not distinguish between the guilty and the innocent, who face just as much shame and ruin. Rightly or wrongly, we do not have capital punishment in this country, and to create systems that actively encourage an informal death penalty is wrong.

deejay deejay 12:07 pm 08 May 12

To quote what I said in the previous thread about this man:

TheDancingDjinn TheDancingDjinn 11:47 am 08 May 12

Skidbladnir said :

Way to go, people. :[

Oh please!! – you don’t think the stigma of being a known sex offender wasn’t enough for him to kill himself, if that is indeed what has happened to him. Don’t lay blame for the death of of this man here, he had his own issues, and if he chose to take his life then that’s on him no one else.

carnardly carnardly 11:27 am 08 May 12

well he hadn’t actually been proved guilty yet….

regardless of what i think about people that leach after children.

Dilandach Dilandach 10:59 am 08 May 12

bundah said :

It would appear he had a conscience after all!

Don’t mistake cowardice as conscience.

Solidarity Solidarity 10:57 am 08 May 12

Hmm, so no suspicious circumstances makes me think suicide, but they don’t report suicides…

Maybe he had a pre-existing medical condition or something.

johnboy johnboy 10:59 am 08 May 12

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 10:48 am 08 May 12

There’s no winners here.

Thoughts with the victim and his family. I don’t expect Watt’s death will make things any easier for them.

bundah bundah 10:22 am 08 May 12

It would appear he had a conscience after all!

1 2 3 Next »