More towers for Belconnen

Dacquiri 1 February 2013 44

belconnen tower

This info has been posted on the Belconnen Community Council’s website:

A mixed use development is proposed for the corner of Eastern Valley Way and Aikman Drive in Belconnen Town Centre. This 3 700 square metre site is located behind McDonalds and the bowling alley.

The development will be approximately 35 stories containing commercial at ground level, a 168-unit hotel and 235 residential units. The residential tower is proposed to be 112 metres tall and the hotel tower 80 metres tall.

What’s Your opinion?

44 Responses to
More towers for Belconnen
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
JC 5:55 pm 04 Feb 13

staminaman62 said :

JC said :

Me thinks you may have lost the point.

I hate it when people say ‘Me thinks’ when they mean ‘I think’.

It it ye olde English actually, so not actual wrong.

Jivrashia 3:15 pm 04 Feb 13

Pandy said :

But I would really like to see buildings that are really reminiscent of these:

I’m more leaning to these designs.

And I have a feeling that some of these developers would have a track record to deliver it.

dpm 10:02 am 04 Feb 13

I’ve got no real prob with it, as long as it’s not like the awful Sky plaza in Woden!
I have to say though, I love how the sketch has the tower in a bit of detail, then a few scribbled circles on the ground around it! Not sure what they are, but it kinda looks like he/she ran out of time before the deadline to submit the pic!
“Here’s what the tower will look like….. and there’ll be some ‘stuff’ around it….”

hahahaha! 🙂

staminaman62 5:49 am 04 Feb 13

JC said :

Me thinks you may have lost the point.

I hate it when people say ‘Me thinks’ when they mean ‘I think’.

basketofcat 10:55 pm 03 Feb 13

Cube houses, as high as the eye can see.

DrKoresh 9:45 pm 03 Feb 13

Jethro said :

JC said :

DrKoresh said :

I definitely think that comparing the development to 1984 is not only a huge over-reaction, but misses the point of the book entirely.

Me thinks you may have lost the point. The buildings that were built in the 80’s, were for their time radical and cutting edge architecture, but now days many think of them as eyesores and indeed many have been ripped down. I think what he was saying is these apartment buildings in 20 years time will be the same, run down eyesores.

I imagine in 20 years time their lifts will only work for a few hours a week, the stairwells will be covered with posters of moustachioed men and all the rooms will have two way telescreens.

Thank Christ somebody knows what I’m talking about, I was worried 1984 had been unwritten by MiniTru and I was about to take a trip to room 101.

Jethro 6:02 pm 03 Feb 13

JC said :

DrKoresh said :

JC 5:22 pm 03 Feb 13

Pandy said :

Excellent news!!!

More places like these decreases the need to build new roads and install trams.

To cut down on demand for roads and installation of trams it seems you believe that those living in these towers will have no reason what so ever to ever leave Belconnen. Ironic because it is this flawed thinking in the 60’s/70’s and 80’s that has created the public transport issues that we have.

rosscoact 1:20 pm 03 Feb 13

Pandy said :

Excellent news!!!

More places like these decreases the need to build new roads and install trams.

But I would really like to see buildings that are really reminiscent of these:

This is the sort of visionary thinking we need. Could you run for the Assembly next election please?

JC 9:59 am 03 Feb 13

DrKoresh said :

Being privately owned they are going to be so much harder to rip down and replace. Personally I reckon much of the current architecture, including lot of the boxy colourful houses you see going up in the new suburbs will not age all that well. In 20 years time I reckon we will all be scratching our heads in regret of the short slightness of this rip shit bust building mentality.

Pandy 9:26 am 03 Feb 13

Excellent news!!!

More places like these decreases the need to build new roads and install trams.

But I would really like to see buildings that are really reminiscent of these:

gooterz 11:15 pm 02 Feb 13

Theres two ways to decrease the crime rate in belconnen..

Reduce the crime,

Increase the population.

DrKoresh 9:43 pm 02 Feb 13

ghutch said :

Problem with this proposal is the overall extent of the structures ie higher than anything else in Canberra. So will be visible all around the Lake and many other places. It will be nearly twice as high as the Altitude which many have complained about even on RiotACT

I imagine it will be creating a likely scenario of vertical slums of the future. Who will want to live in a 1 bed apartment on the 29th level. Yes nice view but so far away from anything. It will dwarf the adjacent Maccas and the Church.

It will be much larger than the 24 storey Westfield development approved for cnr Benjamin Way and Emu bank. At least this one won’t be right on the edge of the Lake like the Westfield development. We really need height limits in the Town Centre of 18-20 storeys as what is happening is getting out of control.

I suspect that the developers (Geocon) have been influenced by ACTPLA/ESDD to go for the tallest building possible. It gives them collateral to justify lots more towers. LDA are also planning three more 20 storey towers between the Altitude and Sentinel Developments. The whole of the Town Centre will be saturated with apartments in a few years. An area dotted with towers is not rally development its more like a 1984 scenario wasteland of concrete. No one can really claim that all these towers is more sustainable than properly developed medium density housing.

If this is the Belconnen town centre we’re talking about then I don’t think many people will have as big a problem with it as you. There isn’t much to look at about Belco as it is, it’s a very functional area for the most part, giving it some big-arse buildings might even make for a more interesting city-scape.

poetix 6:27 pm 02 Feb 13

thy_dungeonman said :

Is everyone in this thread using Google translate? I’m having a hard time following this Latin.

It should be the possessive pronoun “tuus” to agree with “tempus” rather than “se” and it should be “oblecta” for the imperative. You should have “se” and then the infinitive of “adsum” rather than “adsis”. As it reads now “oblecta you in manuka very sweetly a time I do not wish you remain in belconnen. The second sentence simply says “Perhaps poetix has in manuka”.

Poetix has just said “this southern pool discovers snakes”

Yes “Romans go home” and all that, no language can be massacred on the internet without at least one corrector.

poetix said :

Jerry Atric said :

fortasse poetix in Manuka habet

Not at all.

Meridiem stagnum illum, invenit Draconibus.

(Ah, Google instant Latin. How could I possibly go wrong? God knows what I really just said.)

Meanwhile, back in Belconnen…The Great Owl circles the Two Towers.

Excellent. That is even dodgier than I had anticipated. I was trying to get a translation for ‘South of the lake one finds dragons’.

In future I will stick to fake English translations and bad French.

Martlark 4:43 pm 02 Feb 13

More people and activity in Belconnen is just what the place needs. Another quality hotel is great too.

ghutch 4:21 pm 02 Feb 13

Masquara 1:54 pm 02 Feb 13

If it’s well designed, it can be as tall as it wants.

It is extremely unlikely that developers will put any more thought & resources into these towers than the cheap and nasty ones that Lauren Jackson was promoting to unfortunate first-flat-buyers a few years ago (and yes I still think she should be run out of town over that). Belconnen Town Centre just isn’t the sort of place that attracts architects and real-money investment.

DrKoresh 1:13 pm 02 Feb 13

Jethro said :

I have no issue with high density housing, particularly in town centres, which is where it belongs. However, I do wonder whether the market in Belco for this type of housing is becoming over-saturated.

And how much demand is there for 168 hotel rooms in Belco?

Eh, if it means they won’t be as stupidly expensive as most new apartments then I am all for it. Belco already looks like shit, so I don’t think these developments are going to do much to ruin the area. It’s not hard at all to get to Civic from Belco either, so I could see there being a market for the residential units.

Spoono 12:43 pm 02 Feb 13

I don’t care as long as it might somehow help my house price go up

gazket 12:40 pm 02 Feb 13

steveu said :

Jethro said :

And how much demand is there for 168 hotel rooms in Belco?

Public servants travelling from interstate for meetings etc. diac and abs right near there.
I’m sure the developers have done due diligence anyway.

developers have worked out how to get more tax payer funding to keep the motel alive

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.