Narrabundah College ATTACKED and Braddon under SIEGE

asp 28 September 2007 57

Sorry for the ridiculous headline, but I was reading the Daily Telegraph today (something I rarely do) and was inspired to create an over the top, tabloid style headline for the next item I posted.

Now to the real news. I was told today of an incident that occurred yesterday afternoon at Narrabundah College. Two youths (with no apparent relation to the school) went on to school grounds and assaulted a student, taking the victim’s mobile phone and wallet. One of the offenders was wearing a grey jumper, possibly hooded – a clear sign they were up to no good. Students from schools in the area should be vigilant and if walking around the suburbs, walk with friends.

AND In another case of crazies with cleavers (the previous being an attack in Garema Place), a Braddon supermarket was held up by a man with a cleaver. The owner “strongly challenged and rebuffed” the offender who fled. The offender was the stereotypical robber, with a black balaclava and black clothes, though one has to wonder about the white gloves. Well, white at least exudes confidence, at least it wasn’t purple.

57 Responses to Narrabundah College ATTACKED and Braddon under SIEGE
Maelinar Maelinar 1:22 pm 28 Sep 07

CrazyChester asking for moderation.

Straight to the Pool room !!!

Mr Evil Mr Evil 1:22 pm 28 Sep 07

Well, we know we’re in trouble when Chester makes more sense on here than the average Joe Blo! 🙂

(By the way, no offence intended, Chester.)

This isn’t some kind of pissing contest. I like Danman’s photos because he takes some great shots of the Canberra region, and also has taken the time to post them here. I don’t care if the “depth of field” or whatever isn’t perfect!

chester chester 1:10 pm 28 Sep 07

*cough*

Hey Jazz et al,

Seeing as we’re not discussing the topic anyway…….

Re: your suggestions thread. Here is the case for fairly strong albeit strictly limited, moderation played out before us, and why it should not be equated with censorship. When done right it’s about board quality. This discussion is almost entirely OT. It has no business being here. Stopping it in its tracks isn’t censorship. It’s good board management. Some flame wars should be allowed to run their course but this isn’t one of them.

It’s not like they’re being prevented from comparing photos and penis sizes altogether just because they can’t do it in this thread. There’s any number of places they can do so, if not here then elsewhere. The ideal here, would be a private messaging system or even just telling them to continue their debate via email.

What’s more, it saves people from themselves when they’re being more ass than asp. LOL After all, in the meatspace, we self-censor all the time. But the anonymity factor reduces inhibitions and people say things they wouldn’t dream of saying if they were first-to-face.

Having said that, it can be fun to watch it happen! Love it when the dictionary definitions are trotted out. Dictionaries are a dime a dozen. It’s hardly a challenge to find a definition of spectacular that appears to support your point. See:

So using the Thesaurus suggestions…..I commend you on your spectacular dummy spit, asp. Spectacular as in histrionic and melodramatic, that is.

Nice pics Danman.

Maelinar Maelinar 12:55 pm 28 Sep 07

p.s. for the geeks, I’ve got a fujifilm 6.4mp SC digital camera (SC = shit camera) with a 1gb SD card enabling me to take something like 2500 shots before the card is full.

I take lots of shots and just delete the ones that don’t work. I call this ‘American style’ photography

Maelinar Maelinar 12:52 pm 28 Sep 07

and spectacular shots taken after a great amount of work deserve to be called spectacular – buuuuullllllsssshhhiiittt.

Under your theorum, I can parachute out of a plane, break my leg on landing, walk 25km through an open desert in the searing sun, and take a photograph of the fading rescue plane. I die and the camera is found by an arab in 25 years, the photograph is developed and is called spectacular ?!?

What a load of toss.

The photograph could be a speckled, unfocused, mess, yet the conditions surrounding the taking of the photograph make it spectacular ?

I’m obviously in the wrong business, because I can walk around all day in random directions and point my camera at things.

Danman Danman 11:46 am 28 Sep 07

You certainly do not paint a pretty picture of professional photographers do you ? All I can hope is that my wedding photographer in 3 weeks has nothing to do with you – because although he may take good pictures – if he is anything like you he would be a straight up pr1ck to deal with

I tried to be civil but it did not work so I had to lower myself – anywho you can keep bleeting Mr Professional Photographer – me – I have a life to live – I guess ill never be a professional like you – so i guess here endeth the argument. asp 1 danman zero the hero (Ozzy Osboren reference)

taa taa honey bunny

asp asp 11:27 am 28 Sep 07

“I don’t appreciate the attribution of hard grind and effort to the perception of a photo being ’spectacular’.”

I was referring to an actual photograph that was spectacular in capturing such a rare bird in a brilliant mid flight pose, taking both creative and technical skill to accomplish. Of course you don’t always have to work hard to get a good shot. The point is spectacular shots, and spectacular shots taken after a great amount of work deserve to be called spectacular.

“inferiority complex

noun
1)a sense of personal inferiority arising from conflict between the desire to be noticed and the fear of being humiliated
2)asp of http://www.the-riotact.com

Danman, you call me childish, yet I am keeping it civil. Your the one doing stupid name calling, talking about your penis and running to complain to people. Inferiority complex… ha. You’d know a lot about that.
Your graveyard photos lack depth, proper lighting that even a high schooler knows how to do and were obviously taken with a lens that has a terrible aperture design (only 5 blades, come on)!

Danman Danman 10:42 am 28 Sep 07

inferiority complex

noun
2)asp of http://www.the-riotact.com

Maelinar Maelinar 10:10 am 28 Sep 07

I would call a photograph, taken of a very rare bird that someone has hiked and camped in the Tasmania wilderness for weeks to get, spectacular. – what makes it spectacular, the photo or the hike ?

I don’t appreciate the attribution of hard grind and effort to the perception of a photo being ‘spectacular’.

My 2c only.

Thumper Thumper 8:35 am 28 Sep 07

Well, I kind of like Danman’s graveyard photos…

Expert or not, I think they are good.

asp asp 12:03 am 28 Sep 07

spec·tac·u·lar
–adjective
1. of or like a spectacle; marked by or given to an impressive, large-scale display.
2. dramatically daring or thrilling: a spectacular dive from a cliff.

Danman,
To create such a responce and go whining to third partyorganisations shows you to be clutching at straws. I am confident in who I am and in my photographic and artistic talent. Someone who has to write a few paragraphs in their defense is probably not so sure about themselves.

And there’s no need to be so defensive. I didn’t say your photography was bad. Infact, your first one with the stars in the night sky was very impressive. I have yet to master night time photography to your standard.

For everyones benefit, let me explain why I don’t consider some of Danman’s images spectacular (in my artistic opinion only):
– As an AIPP member, I have entered and participated in their competitions and exhibitions that display some of the finest photography in this country including images from recognised MPs (masters of Photography). I would call a photograph, taken of a very rare bird that someone has hiked and camped in the Tasmania wilderness for weeks to get, spectacular.
– I have participated in international competitions such as the Shell Wildlife Photographer of the Year Awards. Looking at some of those magnificent photographic works, the word spectacular is well deserved.
– Photography from Ken Duncan is spectacular.

But in the end, it is not what others believe. It is what the artist/photographer believes. You like your photography, as do many. So long as you like and are comfortable with it, then that’s what counts. Lots of people like my photography, but just as many probably don’t. That’s fine.

“I really loved how you posted someone elses photography when yours is obviously the best in the world.”
I didn’t post my own images because of obvious bias. Of course I’ll say I like my images and think their spectacular. The images I linked to were ones that were not mine or those of people I know, just images I had bookmarked over some time that were “spectacular” in my opinion and without bias. That seems logical doesn’t it?

asp asp 12:03 am 28 Sep 07

spec·tac·u·lar /sp?k?tæky?l?r/ Pronunciation
–adjective
2. dramatically daring or thrilling: a spectacular dive from a cliff.

Danman,

– Photography from Ken Duncan is spectacular.

Ari Ari 10:24 pm 27 Sep 07

I don’t normally pay much attention to flame wars, but asp is certainly acting like an a-grade tool.

Danman Danman 10:03 pm 27 Sep 07

Wow – Brownie points and props out to you…

Your post has been reported to the AIPP because it is my belief that you are bringing them into disregard.

asp – Unlike you – I have a small penis – to that end everything i do will always be worse than what you can do…..kapish ?

Rally though – Pathetic attempt at flaming me champ…..What I call spectacular may not be as such to others – spectacular is a universal term – but not universal by definition.

For you to base your whole argument on that word is grasping at straws..

So what if you have hung out of a helicopter in the Gobi desert photographing camels arses with your 1000mm zoom – your feats do not inspire me or make me look at you with awe.

My photography is a hobby – as is my music and my RC helicopters. To think I was better than anyone ot these would be cheating myself – becaus ethe real reason I have these hobbies is to enjoy them, yes I am passionate – but I am passionate about me and my enjoyment – I get no satisfaction with playing the I am better than you game – so no point trying that….. Thus sais – I really loved how you posted someone elses photography when yours is obviously the best in the world.

To that end I will no longer have any time for responding to your childish snide comments.

PS I would barely call taking a 3.5 million candle power torch in my backpack with a few theater gels carting a lighting rig around.

If you wanna talk the talk – show EVERYONE on RA how well you can walk the walk – me, im happy to just plod along and make myself smile with my personal achievements.

People like you deserve none of my time.

asp asp 6:46 pm 26 Sep 07

Danman’s photos are certainly not bad. That said, I wouldn’t call them spectacular. Just okay.

Fluges Fluges 6:36 pm 26 Sep 07

I thought your photos were very nice Danman. But, then again, I’m not a member of AIPP, whatever that is, nor have I won any awards for anything …

asp asp 5:27 pm 26 Sep 07

Danman. Please don’t use the word “spectacular” to describe those photos. It demeans the whole thing. As an award wining photographer, Member of the AIPP and someone who has flown harnessed to the side of a helicopter while flying over the twelve apostles, I can safely say that those photos posted (except for the first one which is very good) are not spectacular. I have been to a couple of cemeteries, but I don’t cart lighting and everything and make a trip of it. And looking at galleries from amateurs and pros alike, 99% don’t have any or more than a couple of graveyard photos. Please tell me that that shot of the grave stone you posted isn’t an example of a good one. The depth of field was poorly controlled, contrast poor and composition dull.
Yes, some gravestones are aesthetically pleasing. But you have to think about how to capture it. Just hauling out a huge light isn’t enough. Should you light it from multiple directions to add depth and create interesting shadows? Should you backlight it to add mystery? Should you use colour or B&W photography? These are things you might want to think about.
I myself have shoot a wide range of subjects and styles. I respect diversity in photography and even if someone’s composition is not my style, I will still appreciate it it for what it is and its technical merit. Except for that well exposed first shot of the night sky and power pole, yours lack both technical skill and compositional quality. I invite you to post some more that are at least of a higher technical quality.

Ari Ari 3:03 pm 26 Sep 07

I wonder if the student involved was the erstwhile Terry_Wrist who got caught out doing an Oedipus Rex on threads such as this one.

Danman Danman 2:46 pm 26 Sep 07

why would I not do ao dusk project at Yass cemetary ?

Have you actually been there ?

They have very ornate headstones that date back to the late 1800’s.

Just because its not your style of photography does not mean that no one likes it.

To think that would be very narrow – something I am sure you are not.

Also – 99.99% pf my photography is at night – supplying my own light where needed with a 3.5 mil candelpower lantern and coloured theatre gels.

Some of my more spectacular shots can be found here, here, here, here and one of yass cemetary

Apoligies if i buggered the hyperlinking, it has been a while….

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.