NBN has abandoned Canberra

Kim Fischer 24 January 2017 52

National Broadband Network

The Christmas and New Year break has long been a preferred time of year for government agencies to deliver unpopular news. However, NBN Co has taken this practice one step further than usual.

Knowing that an update for the rollout plan on the National Broadband Network could be delayed no further, NBN Co quietly removed the plan altogether from its website just before Christmas. Its new “interactive search tool” makes it much harder to compare the old rollout schedule with the new one.

Once you manually collate the dates, the truth is damning: Nearly all of the ACT has been pushed to the very back of the NBN’s revised rollout schedule.

• See ACT NBN Co Rollout Delays broken down by suburb here.

When meeting residents during the ACT election campaign last year, it would be no exaggeration to say that access to the NBN was one of the top issues raised with me.

Just 14 months ago, NBN Co was predicting that 18 of Belconnen’s 25 suburbs would have commenced NBN construction by now. Instead, all residents of Belconnen will now have to wait until at least June 2019 to receive access. Weston Creek has also been moved to the very back of the pack, as have as over half of the suburbs of Woden Valley and central Canberra.

Tuggeranong has been finally given a scheduled date for NBN availability, but this is the same “magical” date of June 2019 that fully half of all Canberra suburbs have been assigned.

Given that NBN Co had connected less than 50% of Canberra’s promised suburbs by the end of 2016, healthy scepticism about the these forecast dates seems wise. Indeed, based on current delays and rescheduling of dates the rollout of the NBN in the ACT isn’t likely to be completed until 2025.

Residents in Dunlop remain stuck on the decade-old ADSL technology. No telecommunications company is going to invest in improving fixed-line connectivity when the NBN is continually “about to be installed” everywhere.

The Federal Government’s complete lack of interest in prioritising robust broadband for its largely Canberra-based public servants is baffling. Recent studies show that the productivity benefits of telecommuting to an organisation can be worth up to 20% of an employee’s wages due to lower absenteeism, higher morale, more hours worked, improved access to highly qualified parents needing more workplace flexibility, and more productive hours worked due to fewer office distractions. But a prerequisite for effective teleworking is access to fast and reliable broadband services.

Delivering the NBN earlier in Canberra would unlock productivity benefits and cost savings, but unfortunately the Federal Government doesn’t appear to recognise the financial benefits of that outcome.

52 Responses to NBN has abandoned Canberra
1 2 3 Next »
Chris Mordd Richards Chris Mordd Richards 2:24 pm 25 Jan 17

dungfungus said :

Chris Mordd Richards said :

dungfungus said :

We can’t have everything.

Trams are what we chose and trams (with wi-fi) are what we will get.

I don’t recall anyone demanding our local Labor/Green government give us our own super-fast broadband.

I suppose that’s because very few people in Canberra want to use 100 GBps.

Ok, because funding for a Federal Government Agency aka NBN Co. and funding for a local ACT Government Project aka Light Rail are completely related, yes of course silly me!

Hang on, I recall the ACT Government making big of the Federal funding they received for the light rail through “asset re-generation” (whatever that is).

And (as JC pointed correctly out in another thread) the Carnel Liberal government tried to be a technology innovator in the 1990s when they got ActewAGL involved with TransACT.

If we can have a light rail running off 100% renewables surely a Territory super- broadband would be a “walk in the park” (before the developers build high density housing on it, that is).

Really quick then im not continuing to engage this line of “debate”.

1. Asset recycling fund was providing about $63m out of the (as you all like to often quote) $1.7b over 20 years actual spend. So it represents about 4% of total budget. The big thing made was about any money at all coming from a Federal source on it, but honestly, its such a small amount, it was a symbolic argument not a significant funding source.

2. Carnell Liberal government not very comparable to the Barr/Rattenbury government, not going to compare apples with seafood, bit pointless.

3. Since the NBN has been in the works for years, and given the failure of Transact, why on earth would the ACT government want to duplicate what is being done federally and waste money doing so by trying to NBN in Canberra themselves when NBN Co is already meant to be doing it.

Your argument / points are weak at best, and just trolling at worse. And you know it, you are not stupid and we both know that. Feel free to tell me again why NBN and Light Rail are connected in your mind, but it’s only in your head, not anyone else’s, so I won’t continue to engage this ridiculous thought experiment further after this post itself. Have a great day dungfungus!

Chris Mordd Richards Chris Mordd Richards 2:15 pm 25 Jan 17

Garfield said :

I know you’re a Greens members and so therefore anything the Coalition does is automatically the worst thing in the world, but I’d be interested to hear why you think Labor’s NBN would have been 80-90% complete by now.

Believe it or not, a number of years back I actually thought that Malcolm himself would also bring about first rate fibre internet for Australia as well. Surely he was the one LNP member senior and influential enough, and also tech savvy enough, to make it happen. Been proven wrong on that one haven’t I by now?

I do not hate the LNP blindly. I do disagree with most of their policies, but not 100% of them, and not without actually reading and understanding them first. I do not hate all LNP elected members. I do hate a few of them, Leyonhjelm, Bernadi, Christensen would be near the top of that list – but I only hate maybe 5% of the LNP current elected members at best. I might not like the majority of them, but I don’t waste energy hating them either.

A lot of them are well intentioned to certain extents, we just have fundamental differences on how things should be achieved or what the priorities in different policy areas are. There are a few LNP members I actually quite like, the ones I think should probably really be in Labor instead, their left faction members. There are also some right faction members in Labor I hate, who I think should really be in the LNP. I don’t like the majority of the Labor members just because Labor is more left than the LNP.

I do quite like a number of Labor figures, but there are also just as many I don’t like nor hate, just like a lot of LNP figures. Again, a lot of them are well intentioned to certain extents, we just have fundamental differences on how things should be achieved or what the priorities in different policy areas are.

I don’t hide the fact I am an outspoken supporter of the Greens, but I deny being rusted on. I argue against my party often internally, and externally. Obviously I support Greens most overall, especially their welcoming of independent thought not just toeing the party line, but I am not blind to one party or another. I look at the policies themselves and the people pursuing them, and try to always make an informed judgement based on my morals, values and principles.

I supported the Greens working with LNP on the Senate Voting changes last year, as is evidenced by comments of mine on pieces on RA at the time. For better or worse how that turned out, I supported it then and I stand by that now, and at the time I touted it as an example of the Greens (and by extension my own) willingness to work with anyone on “good policy” regardless of who that is. If the LNP adopt a policy I personally support, I will support the LNP for it. This does not occur often though.

I also hoped that not only would Malcolm still give us a proper NBN a few years ago, I also thought he would bring about marriage equality via a parliamentary vote as well. Yes I had faith in an LNP member and an LNP Prime Minister, I am not making that up, there was a time when I thought naively or not that Malcolm would bring about an LNP that I liked more than less. A lot of us have realised that we thought Malcolm might do certain things that he has not though, if he has much of a policy agenda at this point, I and the rest of the nation would certainly love to hear it sometime soon.

As for my assertion Labor could have been 80-90% done by now. I am prepared to back that up, however it will require diving into a bunch of old reports, figures, rollout estimates, etc… and taking into account advances in rollout tech and speed since then which were not accounted for at the time but would have benefited them if they had started back when first proposed. I am quite busy currently working on a few different things writing wise, looking for a new job, getting ready to start Uni next month, etc…

I will try and get something put together re: the timeline if Labor had gone ahead as they wanted, but it might take me a bit, and I might not end up being able to get around to it at all in the end. Not that I don’t want to, just not my #1 priority to spend time on at the moment of course.

You are right to ask me to back up that assertion, no worries on that. I am confident in my assertion within reasonable margins of error, but I can’t prove it without spending a few hours collating the facts I would need to properly make my case on that.

dungfungus dungfungus 12:09 pm 25 Jan 17

Chris Mordd Richards said :

dungfungus said :

We can’t have everything.

Trams are what we chose and trams (with wi-fi) are what we will get.

I suppose that’s because very few people in Canberra want to use 100 GBps.

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 10:15 am 25 Jan 17

bruce_lord said :

I knew Tuggeranong had terrible internet (amongst the slowest in the entire country) but I couldn’t believe the article in last Saturdays canberra times where some areas can’t even get Dial up access. I know the hills and valleys make mobile, radio and TV reception bad, but no dial up or adsl!!!!!!!

I read that and didn’t understand. How can they not have dial-up or ADSL? They don’t have phone lines??

Chris Mordd Richards Chris Mordd Richards 1:03 am 25 Jan 17

dungfungus said :

We can’t have everything.

Trams are what we chose and trams (with wi-fi) are what we will get.

I suppose that’s because very few people in Canberra want to use 100 GBps.

Frustrated Frustrated 8:37 pm 24 Jan 17

Kambah is still listed for this year, I hope its the whole suburb, and not just the Northern section.

Anthony David Anthony David 8:17 pm 24 Jan 17

Just this morning I drove past the Melba exchange and there was a fellow with an NBN van feeding two thick blue (fibre) cables into the pit. The NBN site says that Jan-Jun 2018 is our rollout date. The whole NBN mess is comical. My son in Spain just signed up for a cheap plan: 50Mb synchronous for, I think, 20Euro. He was paying 30Euro for a 300Mb synchronous plan at the previous city.

dungfungus dungfungus 6:28 pm 24 Jan 17

Chris Mordd Richards said :

I am absolutely livid reading this, and bloody well done for bringing this to our attention Kim, that’s some solid detective work m8!

I am very familiar with the old rollout schedule for the ACT, have perused it dozens of times the past few years, sometimes to show ppl parts of ACT are only place still in all of Aus (except about 4 new greenfields sites interstate) that is still slated to get Fibre to the Home instead of Fibre to the Street or Node.

As such, I am quite familiar with the now old scheduled dates for pretty much all of Canberra, and I can confirm that data on the old dates matches what I remember, and the new dates listed for all the suburbs makes my blood boil reading it.

My suburb was already near the very end of the list, and I put up with a 500KBps down and 40KBps up max speed atm on ADSL due to my apartment blocks old wiring that constantly gets water into the copper and slows the speed right down. Now I see I am waiting an additional 12 months more on top of that. It’s now a race between ACT Housing and NBN Co – will Housing knock down my block before the NBN arrives, their schedule has recently been delayed 1-2 years as well, or will NBN Co connect me and then 6 months later I will get moved out and the block will be knocked down, and probably require reconnection at additional cost again when they rebuild then.

This whole thing is a joke, it’s pretty damn obvious that once again, the ACT is the least important place in Australia for our Federal Government. Sure Parliament House has nice fast NBN already, what about the rest of us? Give us the NBN Labor promised which would have been 80-90% complete by now if they had been allowed to go ahead when they wanted to.

So p#ssed off right now, I pay the same for 500KBps down as someone in South Korea pays for 100GBps down – what a bloody joke!!!

We can’t have everything.

Trams are what we chose and trams (with wi-fi) are what we will get.

I suppose that’s because very few people in Canberra want to use 100 GBps.

Garfield Garfield 6:20 pm 24 Jan 17

Chris Mordd Richards said :

In the first 27 months of full scale construction, starting August 2011, the NBN passed 236,000 premises, there having been around 119,000 passed in the earlier trial stages over roughly 2 years. In the next 20 months to June 2015 they added 655,000 premises and in the 12 after that another 1,880,000.

That means under Labor the NBN passed around 4,958 premises per month in the trial stages, increasing to 8,770 once full scale construction started. In the period that the Coalition took over and changed the product mix, supposedly creating massive delays, the NBN added 32,750 per month and in the 2016 financial year the rate increased to 156,666 per month. I don’t know how fast it would have progressed had Labor been re-elected in 2013, but the rate of connection and rate of increase was very slow their last 2 years, and nowhere near the exponential rate of increase that subsequently happened under the Coalition.

I’m not going to defend NBN Co leaving much of Canberra until the very end as everything I’ve heard has suggested we have some very slow connection speeds, but I will point out that until this update my suburb, along with almost all of Tuggeranong, was not even on the construction schedule. From that point of view this is an improvement for both myself and most Tuggeranong residents.

Considering Kim Fischer was a Labor candidate for the ACT election maybe she could make some enquiries and tell us why the Rudd-Gillard governments didn’t prioritise constructing the NBN in Canberra given the massive productivity gains that she claims would have accrued to the public service? A lot of the article smacks of partisan politics rather than objective journalism. I’ll suggest that the ACT is the least important place in Australia for the Federal Government regardless of which party holds power, and that’s because both lower house seats are safe Labor. If ACT voters shook things up by electing someone who wasn’t Labor every now and then I reckon we’d get a lot more consideration from both sides of federal politics.

Chris Mordd Richards Chris Mordd Richards 4:22 pm 24 Jan 17

K_c24 said :

There’s a simple solution to this; move to QTown! My FTTP connection is fantastic.

They keep changing their preferred acronyms so much it almost makes my head spin!

Originally it was FTTH – Fibre to the House. Now they are using FTTP – Fibre to the Premises instead of FTTH, and FTTB – Fibre to the Building (eg. appt complex) which is basically the same as FTTP except the existing internal wiring from the “comms room” is used for the last short distance. At one stage we also had FTTN – Fibre to the Node, which then used the existing copper to connect to your house. We also had FTTD – Fibre to the Driveway (closer than FTTN but same principle) which used the existing copper for the last few metres, comparable to the current FTTB but for a single stand alone house.

To be fair: FTTP, FTTN and FTTB are the current preferred industry terms, but all the terms listed above have been officially used at various times by NBN and announced by Government Ministers in press conferences too. I know what the terms mean and I still get confused at this point, I feel sorry for the average joe who has no idea and doesn’t want to know either what FTTX anything is anyway!

bruce_lord bruce_lord 3:56 pm 24 Jan 17

mikal mikal 3:28 pm 24 Jan 17

Don’t forget that Zed is on the NBN Senate committee. He’s done a stellar job representing his constituents there.

K_c24 K_c24 1:40 pm 24 Jan 17

Chris Mordd Richards Chris Mordd Richards 12:12 pm 24 Jan 17

funbutalsoserious funbutalsoserious 12:08 pm 24 Jan 17

I am one of the lucky ones that has an old TransACT VDSL Internet connection with healthy speeds but I have noticed this dragging of the heels on the NBN rollout.
Interesting that they have chosen to push the roll-out back yet again and have done it through stealth of changing their website over the Christmas period.

Turnbull as the ex-Communications Minister that presided over the scope change of this NBN project from the Gillard/Rudd Government to Abbott should be ashamed of this ongoing saga – but then again it has been shown how good he is as the PM ;).

dungfungus dungfungus 11:51 am 24 Jan 17

Have you complained to your local MLA about it?

bruce_lord bruce_lord 10:59 am 24 Jan 17

Rollersk8r Rollersk8r 10:26 am 24 Jan 17

I noticed a change to the rollout schedule a long time ago – perhaps 12 months. My suburb (McKellar) went from “late 2017” to simply “in planning”. In other words – years away.

To make matters worse we moved from Giralang, where we had a VDSL connection via the old TransACT network. VDSL wasn’t perfect but we did get a maximum speed of around 30mpbs.

Now we’re back to 2mpbs on ASDL. I’m able to get significantly better internet access on 4G mobile broadband (5mbps) although it’s prohibitively expensive as a permanent replacement for the ADSL.

It’is very unfortunate that in the year 2017 – in the capital city of Australia – many of us will be still be waiting years before we can make full use of all the online and streaming services offered these days.

dungfungus dungfungus 10:23 am 24 Jan 17

“Delivering the NBN earlier in Canberra would unlock productivity benefits and cost savings”

In what way?

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 9:05 am 24 Jan 17

“The Federal Government’s complete lack of interest in prioritising robust broadband for its largely Canberra-based public servants is baffling.”

Not when you consider that Canberra-based voters have a complete lack of interest in voting for the Coalition (in the lower house, at least).

1 2 3 Next »