Needles in the prison up for public comment

johnboy 28 July 2011 137
photo by Crash Test Addict CC BY

Chief Minister Katy Gallagher has announced the release of Michael Moore’s report: Balancing Access
and Safety: Meeting the challenge of blood borne viruses in prison

The report recommends:

1. The ACT Corrections Management Act 2007 be amended to require the establishment of an NSP at the AMC.

2. A clear set of rules, procedures and protocols be established through an appropriate process guided by the ACT Corrections Management Act.

3. Adopt a contingency process for the implementation of appropriate model/s for a needle and syringe program at the AMC.

4. Recruitment of a dedicated Aboriginal Health Worker position in an NSP and related service provision would be worthy of consideration.

5. The installation of secure syringe disposal bins would further reduce the potential for accidental needle-stick injury and be worthy of consideration even without the implementation of an NSP.

6. Future developments in retractable syringe technology will need to be considered as part of the ongoing development of an NSP in custodial settings.

7. Legislative amendments be considered to protect all staff from potential civil and criminal liability.

“The Government engaged Michael Moore to investigate and report on models for the implementation of an NSP at the Alexander Maconochie Centre (AMC) and the project included an assessment of the barriers to implementation with a broad range of consultations held with key stakeholders,” Ms Gallagher said.

The report has made seven (7) recommendations and the Government will now consider the recommendations, and seek the views of the community about the report, prior to finalising our response to report.

“The Government will welcome feedback from stakeholders to assist us with our final consideration of this very important issue. It’s important for anyone interested to provide their feedback on the report to the government over the next six week period.”

The consultation closes on 8 September and submissions can be made to AODpolicy@act.gov.au .

UPDATE: The Greens have announced their approval.

[photo by Crash Test Addict CC BY]

137 Responses to Needles in the prison up for public comment
The_TaxMan The_TaxMan 1:09 pm 29 Jul 11

Jim Jones said :

Cigarette butts and broken glass I see in parks every damn day, and go to great lengths to clean them up and prevent kids messing around with them.

Given this, how anyone could argue that syringes/needles are more dangerous beggars belief.

Ah Jim I am so sorry of course you are correct can’t chat any longer as I am off to rob a shop with a lethal cigarette.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 12:59 pm 29 Jul 11

Proboscus said :

That’s right. It hasn’t happened before. So it couldn’t possibly happen in the future, could it?

(PS – let’s just ignore the fact that the place has only been open for a couple of years).

Watson Watson 12:35 pm 29 Jul 11

Proboscus said :

That’s true, but I also asked if people would billet a released prisoner?

Sure! They can come join the 13 homeless people and the 7 people with paranoid schizofrenia that are currently camping in our loungeroom.

WTF?!

Just because I don’t want to mingle with these people doesn’t mean I hope they die a horrible death! I don’t like extreme right w@nkers either, yet I don’t find myself wishing they contract some horrible disease. Strange that…

Watson Watson 12:05 pm 29 Jul 11

johnboy said :

A safe place away from me for people who’ve already got drugs in my workplace to shoot up without spreading disease?

Yes please!

So Canberra’s most dangerous criminals are working with you?

People doing drugs are “Canberra’s most dangerous criminals’??? Wow.

qbngeek qbngeek 12:03 pm 29 Jul 11

Hang on, calm the f**k down. I am seeing a crucial flaw in the entire argument.

The policy is about clean needles/syringes, not about providing the drugs. The crackies are going to get the drugs in AMC anyway so the idea behind the policy is to give them clean needles since they are going to do it anyway.

If you think really hard, I know that is difficult for some of you, this policy can be used to rduce drugs in AMC. The guys coming for needles/syringes all the time are probably going to have drugs somewhere, then you can target your raids adn take their stash.

You are all so busyu arguing over something which has bugger all to do with the policy to see the big picture. The drugs will alsways be there, this policy is about giving thema ssafe way to deliver them and can be used to remove some of the drugs if done properly.

Bloody Canberrans….always too busy with your heads between your legs sniffing your own farts to see the full picture. Try thinking outside the box.

Proboscus Proboscus 11:55 am 29 Jul 11

Jim Jones said :

Everyone who supports harm minimisation should be forced to live with criminals

Ah … yeah … great point … [nervous cough] … that’s really … smart … and stuff.

Nice quote – pity I didn’t say it. And nice effort on your subsequent efforts.

You sound like your a fan of Hunter, Rattenbury and Bresnan (or you could be possibly one of them) but the facts are that this isn’t about harm minimisation. The Hilton hasn’t had a single blood borne disease passed from prisoner to prisoner inside the facility – it all occurs outside within the community. So why implement something that is clearly not needed?

Like I said many posts ago – fix the needle sharing and disposing problem in the community first before considering it in a correctional facility.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:42 am 29 Jul 11

fgzk said :

$300 a day (+ vehicle, expenses and “ass” allowance if applicable) .

fgzk said :

Proboscus said :

I suggest to those supporting the NSP “trial” that maybe it should be held in your workplace.

Or, better still, have the NSP at your workplace AND have a billeting arrangement with the recently released and “rehabilitated” guests from the Hilton where they live with you and car pool with you to work each day for a clean syringe. [Insert Crickets Here]

Whilst its full of cringe moments in the work place, its easy to remain professional when you are paid.

Well I believe that professionalism isn’t measured by how much you’re paid but how you perform – but that’s off subject. I’m interested in how much you think putting up with drug-crazed criminals is worth?

$300 a day (+ vehicle and expenses) .

+ $150 ass money, right?

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:42 am 29 Jul 11

The_TaxMan said :

Violet68 said :

I wasn’t talking about HIV but since you are, HIV doesn’t live outside the body for very long at all….probably as long as the blood is still liquid, if that – FOOL. Cigarette butts/filters contain nicotine which is extremely toxic to small children. I suggest you educate yourself before commenting any further.

My offer still stands, next time I pick up a syringe I’ll duck over and give you a little jab and see if your all good, you should be afterall blood born viruses can’t live outside the body for long but are YOU prepared to take the risk. Nicotine is toxic I agree, however to be fatal a child would need to injest 10MG the average cigarette contain 0.5mg of nicotine of which approximately 70% is burnt off during the smoking process leaving 0.15mg meaning that for a child to injest enough nicotine through cigarette butts they would have to eat approx 60 cigarette butts in one sitting. uneducated LMAO

In my many years of attending children’s parks (and talking to other parents who do the same), I have never once seen or heard first-hand of anyone I know (or know of) encountering a syringe or needle.

The_TaxMan The_TaxMan 11:35 am 29 Jul 11

Violet68 said :

fgzk fgzk 11:33 am 29 Jul 11

$300 a day (+ vehicle, expenses and “ass” allowance if applicable) .

fgzk said :

Proboscus said :

$300 a day (+ vehicle and expenses) .

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:29 am 29 Jul 11

drug-crazed criminals

BWA AH AHAHA HA HAHAH A HAHA

You do realise you sound like the narrator from Reefer Madness when you write that stuff.

“Know your dope fiend. You will not be able to see his eyes because of tea shades, but his knuckles will be white from inner tension and his pants will be crusted with semen from constantly jacking off when he can’t find a rape victim.”

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:24 am 29 Jul 11

johnboy said :

Most people aren’t reading this thread any more.

Also, it’s rude to make fun of retarded people.

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:24 am 29 Jul 11

Everyone who supports harm minimisation should be forced to live with criminals

Ah … yeah … great point … [nervous cough] … that’s really … smart … and stuff.

johnboy johnboy 11:21 am 29 Jul 11

Most people aren’t reading this thread any more.

Proboscus Proboscus 11:20 am 29 Jul 11

fgzk said :

Proboscus Proboscus 11:12 am 29 Jul 11

johnboy said :

nope, but that wasn’t your question.

That’s true, but I also asked if people would billet a released prisoner?

As you’re the only one who answered half the question in the positive (besides the crickets) I’d say that a large amount of people here, and in the community, are dead-set against the NSP.

fgzk fgzk 11:05 am 29 Jul 11

Violet68 Violet68 11:05 am 29 Jul 11

The_TaxMan said :

Violet68 said :

Next time you’re in a kid’s playground check out the broken glass and cigarette butts – probably more lethal to a child than the ocassional syringe you might come across..

Wow a genuinely insane person posting here I mean some people’s comments are out there and argumentative but this is the best (worst) comment ever posted on any forum I have ever seen. Stating that cigarette butts are more lethal than HIV now that’s “out there” BIG TIME. Tell you what next time I find a needle in a playground, park or public space and that would be last Friday in the carpark behind the Canberra Centre I’ll bring it over and give you just a little stick with it and we’ll see how you cope waiting for six months to find out whether you have contracted a life threatening disease and then tell me that a cigarette butt is more lethal, now imagine for one second in that tiny little mind of yours that it’s not you but your four year old daughter. FOOL!

johnboy johnboy 11:04 am 29 Jul 11

nope, but that wasn’t your question.

Proboscus Proboscus 11:03 am 29 Jul 11

johnboy said :

Yes please!

So Canberra’s most dangerous criminals are working with you?

Region Group Pty Ltd