Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Lifestyle

Thinking about your business
Is a big part of ours

New Acton Fire, the morning after.

By johnboy 24 June 2011 22

hotel diamant

Anthony has sent in pictures from his home in the ApARTment building of the aftermath to last night’s fire in New Acton.

More of his photos and some I took in the slideshow below. If you’ve got more please send them in to images@the-riotact.com .


The Canberra Times is reporting that the Efkarpidis family is planning to rebuild, and that the damage has taken in Flint Restaurant, Parlour Wine Room, Bicicletta and the offices of the Molonglo Group.


This statement has been made by the owners:

Statement from Nectar Efkarpidis, Director, Molonglo Group

We are grateful and relieved that nobody was hurt and we would like to thank the authorities and the people of New Acton who responded so quickly to the fire.
We are devastated that this beautiful piece of Canberra’s history has been partially destroyed.
We have had hundreds of calls of support for which we are sincerely grateful.
We are touched that so many people share our love and our passion for New Acton.
We will rebuild. Starting tomorrow we will begin work to bring the building back to life.
Nectar Efkarpidis
Director
Molonglo Group

What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
22 Responses to
New Acton Fire, the morning after.
Filter
Showing only Website comments
Order
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
creative_canberran 7:20 pm 26 Jun 11

I-filed said :

You also don’t leave open fireplaces in heritage buildings unless they are going to be supervised whenever they are lit, and that there is nothing flammable within spark distance other than very slow-burning e.g. wool carpet. Stopping the fire from spreading to another building with a firewall is beside the point. The point is that precautions on the face of it were inadequate. Let’s see what the investigation comes up with.

Canberra Times reported yesterday that the current belief is the ACT Services Club fire was caused by residual heat from fires lit, breaking out while closed and no one there.

I-filed 4:26 pm 26 Jun 11

creative_canberran said :

I think you’ll find many heritage buildings have wood fire places and old fashioned stoves, which is to say nothing of sometimes ancient electrical wiring. Old buildings have hazards, it’s a fact.

Old-fashioned stoves had triple brick chimneys which would never allow beams to be exposed to enough heat to cause a fire – even if the chimney itself caught on fire. Old electrical wiring is checked and replaced in any heritage upgrade. You also don’t leave open fireplaces in heritage buildings unless they are going to be supervised whenever they are lit, and that there is nothing flammable within spark distance other than very slow-burning e.g. wool carpet. Stopping the fire from spreading to another building with a firewall is beside the point. The point is that precautions on the face of it were inadequate. Let’s see what the investigation comes up with.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site