News

Plumbers available 24/7
02 6297 2022

New visions for Bunda Street

johnboy 16 January 2013 67

bunda street plans

Shane Rattenbury has announced the release of concept plans for Bunda Street:

The redesign of Bunda Street will form part of the Civic Cycle Loop project, a 3.2 kilometre path that loops around the City and connects to existing paths that lead into the City. The ACT Government has so far invested $6 million for the design and construction of the Civic Cycle Loop.

“These are exciting new designs for Canberra’s city centre that we hope will encourage pedestrians and cyclists, improve safety, and also create a vibrant and user-friendly urban space,” said Mr Rattenbury.

“The Bunda Street section of the Civic Cycle Loop, between Mort and Akuna Streets, requires special design consideration as it has high pedestrian and traffic volumes and a busy retail and hospitality environment.

“We engaged three separate, highly qualified and experienced urban design consultants to participate in a design competition for the Bunda Street section of the loop. Each consultant has presented their best design proposal for the space. Each design has a unique proposal to manage Bunda Street as a high-use space for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.

“We really encourage the community to get involved and provide feedback on which design they think would work best for the Bunda Street section of the cycle loop.

You can take a look on the time to talk site.

67 Responses to New visions for Bunda Street
Leon Leon 9:04 am 17 Jan 13

Is Bunda St an important cycling ROUTE?

It’s obviously an important cycling DESTINATION, as demonstrated by the usually-full bike parking in the adjoining streets.

Some time ago I surveyed traffic on Bunda St. 88% of the on-road traffic was pedestrians crossing from one side to the other. 11% was motor vehicles driving along Bunds St. Bicycle made up only 1% of the on-road traffic.

Deref Deref 7:56 am 17 Jan 13

Dacquiri said :

Another shocking and shabby excuse for a ‘consultation’. I’ve just attempted to lodge my comments on the official feedback form and … guess what? You can’t submit the form unless you indicate your ranking (1, 2 3) of the 3 proposed options. There is then a space for other comments, but you can’t submit comments or even say ‘none of the above’ with counter-proposals. Haven’t we been through this before?

“When forced to choose between conspiracy and incompetence, choose incompetence.”

steveu steveu 7:41 am 17 Jan 13

kakosi said :

The fact that the Canberra Hospital is still using wheelchairs made in the 70s, most with parts held together with tape and brakes that don’t work, tells me that every ACT Government we’ve had since self-government has not their priorities right.

Agreed.

Seems to me if they restrict access to vehicles at lunch hours that may reduce the risk of injury. With cyclists, I don’t know how well they will co-exist with the pedestrians (I am not saying they will or they won’t, I just don’t have an opinion) – but I can’t help thinking that the predominance of a cyclists in the picture suggests they are trying to place a “green” tinge on the picture more than anything. Maybe this will be a large benefit to cyclists as well as pedestrians. Experience with act governments in the past has brought a cyclical perspective on these things that’s all.

gooterz gooterz 11:12 pm 16 Jan 13

You can tell something is wrong when its only one street. If it was a popular idea it would be in a few places.

All the examples are in cities half a world away.. why not an example from an australian city the same size?

Whats wrong with putting the cycle lane on the main road.. if they want to come in have bike racks on the main road, they’re more than likely going to shop in the mall than anything else.

Anyway.. I know shane and others might actually read this..

Bunda street is successful. YES.. but why not make other places like bunda street or extend bunda street atmosphere further. Build on the success rather than try and make it more accessable and breaking it.

If the speed limit was 10km/h on bunda street there would be no problem. Cars would avoid it and cyclists could travel the same speed. All the parking should be removed and only have loading bays.
and bunda should only be one way.

Most of all the cycle way works for the way that area has been working for the last 10 years. Thats not to say it will stay the same. Wont be long before they’re approving a redevelopment of centrepoint

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 9:48 pm 16 Jan 13

kakosi said :

Bunda Street was only redeveloped a short while ago and it’s fine apart from the fact traffic can’t flow well due to all the pedestrian traffic during lunch and dinner times. The only thing they should do to improve the situation is add a couple of “walk lights” on the pedestrian crossings to improve the traffic flow. A hell of a lot cheaper than pulling up all the new footpaths and starting again.

As for shared car, bike and pedestrian zones I can see quite a few injuries or even fatalities happening as people/children walk right into a car or bicycle. Even at 10 km per hour speed limit you’ll still get accidents happening and I can’t imagine how far the traffic jam will extend at lunch times as cars, vans and trucks drive slowly behind walkers who will also have the right of way.

I am surprised at what a ridiculous waste of money this all is.

” it’s fine apart from the fact traffic can’t flow well due to all the pedestrian traffic during lunch and dinner times. The only thing they should do to improve the situation is add a couple of “walk lights” on the pedestrian crossings to improve the traffic flow.” If I’m approaching the pedestrian crossing and there are cars I try to either keep up with other pedestrians about to cross or I slow right down to let the cars have time to go before I cross, rather than wander in a stretched out line holding up the cars, but I guess I’m stupid that way, I try to think of others.

And speaking of hospitals, I still remember in the old Acton hospital the broken bottle warmer in pedeatrics necessitating the use of a microwave to (OVER)heat milk, while the admin offices I had to walk past on the way in looked very schmick indeed. Yeah, priorities. 🙁

Dacquiri Dacquiri 9:38 pm 16 Jan 13

GardeningGirl GardeningGirl 9:37 pm 16 Jan 13

dtc said :

GardeningGirl said :

Sorry, but having almost been hit by a speeding cyclist twice recently right near where that picture shows, WHILE ON THE FOOTPATH, the idea of encouraging cyclists to think of the area as their own doesn’t thrill me. Unless perhaps they stay ONLY on that green line? But there’s always a selfish minority who zoom back and forth between being road traffic and cycle lane traffic and footpath traffic as it suits them with no regard for the other people having to jump sideways or slam on brakes. Minority spoiling it for all. That’s my gut reaction to the happy artists impression. Suppose I’d better go read the whole release.

Sooo, having almost been hit on the footpath you oppose having dedicated bike lanes that take cyclists off the footpath?

To get to, say, the Canberra Centre from west Civic (or Turner etc) you either need to take your lift in your hands and ride down Bunda St (with cars and pedestrians and taxis etc going all over the place, including parking and pulling out without seeing you) or ride on the footpath. Its the same along Marcus Clarke St (where they are also putting in cycle lanes) and much of London Cct.

Now if you think cyclists should just deal with it, then fine – but that means there will be cyclists on the footpaths with you.

I’m too tired, and cynical, to read through everything right now and try to write a decent response, just want to clarify how I feel, I’ve walked around Civic including areas I was under the impression are not for cycling, didn’t there use to be a rule about not within x number of metres of the entrance to a shop? and if I’m being considerate and paying reasonable attention and they are being considerate and paying reasonable attention everyone goes happily on there way even in those areas or anywhere else without causing any problems for anyone each, my goodness, it sounds like a shared zone, I saw a European one on tv once (perhaps on Beyond Tommorrow or Catalyst or something like that?) they did away with the rules and signs and lanes and just said watch out for each other, and people did! and I’d love it if that sort of thing happened here, but on recent experience my gut reaction to something that looks like a neon sign saying cyclists, welcome to this cycle friendly part of town, is no no, don’t encourage them, does anyone really think once they’re there they will stay on the green and dismount when they wish to depart the green, it doesn’t happen, like I said some, SOME, zoom wherever it suits them with no thought for others. And I think I agree with the comment (at a quick glance)about spending something on the Garema ghost town.

patrick_keogh patrick_keogh 9:33 pm 16 Jan 13

Henry82 said :

I hope they realise shared zones just don’t work.

Henry thanks for this insightful contribution. I’ll immediately have to write to the mayors of some of the towns and cities that I have spent time in where shared zones appear to be working to let them know that the idea is doomed…

Florence, Rome, Siena, Antibes, Cordoba, Boston, San Antonio, Munich, Pienza, Dijon, Granada and lots more… I’ll certainly have some letter writing to do.

Perhaps instead what you mean is that in Australia we have a way to go in terms of driver behaviour before shared zones will work. Certainly just “declaring” a street a shared zone doesn’t work. Just setting the speed limit at 10kph or 20kph isn’t enough. Indeed “declaring” is not even required when drivers are educated to understand the need to coexist with other users of a space, and that sitting in a metal box is not an entitlement to preferential access. I remember sitting outside the church in Pienza watching the mix of traffic travel down the one-way main street. A Volvo driver, pedestrians, cyclists, prams, wheelchairs… it was all there. The speed limit is (in theory) I think 30kph. The actual traffic speed was around 5kph. Did the Volvo driver bang the car roof, yell abuse, toot the horn? No. He drove at 5kph because that was the speed that he could safely manage with all the other road users. That is what a “shared space” really means.

We (especially but not exclusively our car drivers) are still a little short of making this kind of shared space work automatically. So what do we need to do in the interim if shared spaces are to work? A combination of education and enforcement will be required to reset community expectations about how the dynamic of these spaces must work. Will this be hard? Of course. Does it have enduring value to our community? Of course. Every year our population gets older and the percentage of vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists increases and we must do what we can to protect these groups.

So Henry, don’t give up – don’t believe that you can’t change. You can and it is for the best!

kakosi kakosi 9:07 pm 16 Jan 13

I am surprised at what a ridiculous waste of money this all is.

Postalgeek Postalgeek 8:31 pm 16 Jan 13

PantsMan said :

1. Isn’t Bunda St the most vibrant street in the Civic? Wasn’t it revamped as part of the Canberra Centre expansion (by the private sector) only a couple of years ago? Is it now at the end of its economic life?

2. Is there any evidence that people want to cycle down Bunda St more than any other street? Most people (including me) want to cycle TO Bunda Street (because there is something there), not transit it! What about Northbourne, and Garema Place as an alternate route for all those who are currently “forced” to ride down Bunda St?

3. Why don’t they spend the $8 million money on Garema Place, where the benevolent social planners have created a ghost town full of boarded up shops and an abhorrent cityscape? And where is the $8 million coming from Shane, given the $380 m deficit (not including The Greens policies yet to be implemented).

This is all about making what people demonstrably want to do (that is, go somewhere in Civic that is not a ghost town, frequent busy cafes and stores, in their cars, or by walking; despite the “dangerous” cars travelling at 15 km/h and that stop at pedestrian crossings) and imposing Green/environmental/Marxist/bike riding normative values upon Canberrans.

Ultimately, it is social engineering where Shane gets to say:

I disapprove of you because you drive a car or you run a business. I am now going to engineer a situation where you no longer have the choice to drive, choice to park, choice to run a successful business, as I am going to make those choices for you according to my personal political (extremist) agenda.

Thanks for voting for the tool, people! We’ve got this for four years!

That’s too farking funny. Oh noes, you’ve spat your dummy clear across Bunda St, the Champs-Élysées of Canberra, and now you won’t be able to retrieve it because the Marxists are going to establish a cyclocracy and ring their bells at anyone without two wheels who dares to use the road. More please.

HarrisonExpress HarrisonExpress 7:41 pm 16 Jan 13

Seems like a huge waste of money for 2 reasons;

1. I agree with PantsMan…who wants to ride down Bunda St anyway?
2. Even if I did want to ride down Bunda St, the traffic moves so slowly its easy to ride on the road!

I’d love to see the Northbourne cycle lane improved with a kerb to keep cars out of the bike lane.

zippyzippy zippyzippy 6:01 pm 16 Jan 13

Wow, the outrage!

I read about this on ABC where, business seems happy with the proposals:

“Stephen Gregory from Canberra CBD Limited says any activity that improves Civic is welcome.

“The thing about a shared zone is that everybody has the right of way and I think that’s important in a space like this,” he said.

“What we’re seeing in some of these designs is examples of what works in other big cities around the world.”

Deref Deref 5:11 pm 16 Jan 13

PantsMan said :

What an absolute load of s*&t!

Because Bunda St is the only street where one can successfully run a business in Civic, because people actually want to go there, and because people who ride bikeS (like me) just plainly do not actually want to ride down Bunda St, as it is really on the way to nowhere, the Marxists at the London Circuit Soviet have a problem of capitalism seeming to work, and their extremist agenda not being imposed upon the lemmings of Canberra.

Shane Rattenbury’s solution to Canberrans seeming to engage in capitalist behaviour is to ban it, then impose his extremist, Marxist, bike-riding agenda on us all. Will Shane compensate all the businesses that will go bust on Bunda St when it became another Garema Place?

If you tolerate this, then your business will be next!

Maybe Mayor Rattenbury should just take his (READ OUR!) $8 million f*&k-up waiting to happen and just go away.

I have a lovely selection of tinfoil hats just in, all at discounted prices.

KB1971 KB1971 5:09 pm 16 Jan 13

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Stop being such babies. This is a great idea.

I agree, Bunda St has been turned into a great eating precinct in parts & there is nothing worse than sitting outside & having cars & loud bikes go past.

Southlife in Tuggers is the same, it would be so much better without the traffic in the main street.

When it all comes down to it, for the most part, parking in the car parks of Cooyong St sees you pop out onto one of the side streets within a few steps of Bunda. There is a different park almost all the way so you don’t have to walk far if you don’t want to.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:33 pm 16 Jan 13

Stop being such babies. This is a great idea.

deye deye 4:18 pm 16 Jan 13

To those complaining about the shared road, or the lack of parking, you had better look at the designs and give feedback so that the one that is most suitable to what you would like is chosen instead of the one that isn’t.

Henry82 Henry82 4:11 pm 16 Jan 13

enrique said :

I’m sure it does in Europe, but it doesn’t in Canberra. Simply walk to Childers St and you’ll see why

Sgt.Bungers Sgt.Bungers 4:08 pm 16 Jan 13

“In the early 1960’s Strøget, the main street running east-west through the city centre, became quite famous. It was closed off to cars and transformed into a pedestrian zone.

There were protests back then. Cries of “we’re not Italians! We don’t want to walk!” were heard in the city. Shopkeepers feared for their businesses. Fortunately, the idea was implemented and the architect and urban planner Jan Gehl was instrumental in making it happen.

This was a turning point in the modern life of Copenhagen. Cars were taking over, fewer people were cycling and the city was congested and polluted. Visionary political decision-making and urban planning was needed and it arrived.

Since then, Copenhagen hasn’t looked back. The fears of the shopkeepers were soon allayed – indeed there is nowhere in the world where pedestrian zones or bike lanes have caused commerce to suffer. These two urban planning instruments only serve to increase the number of pedestrians and act as a form of traffic calming. Streets become, quite simply, nicer places to be.”[1]

PantsMan PantsMan 4:06 pm 16 Jan 13

Ultimately, it is social engineering where Shane gets to say:

Thanks for voting for the tool, people! We’ve got this for four years!

what_the what_the 3:51 pm 16 Jan 13

enrique said :

To all the people complaining about this saying it won’t work… have any of you ever been to Europe? This sort of thing has been around for centuries and it works just fine. Netherlands or Denmark anyone?

So on this rationale can we have ‘cafes’ and throw in autobahn too?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.