New wind sculpture on Adelaide Avenue – Dinornis maximus

johnboy 18 August 2008 78

[First filed: August 14, 2008 @ 13:47]

When approaching Woden’s great Round-a-bout ‘O Destiny from the North drivers can now be distracted by a majestic wind sculpture.

It went up yesterday and the blokes building it reckon there are no motors, just the wind on the blades.

I think I saw something very similar at the last Bondi Sculpture By The Sea, but I’m liking this installation. More info when it comes to hand.

YouTube of it in action and a slideshow below.

UPDATED: The infamous Canberra art critic, prisoner of war, and conservative politician, Steve Pratt has responded predictably:

The Stanhope Government have unveiled yet another wasteful public art project on our roads instead of devoting attention to basic infrastructure, Shadow Minister for Urban Services Steve Pratt said today.

The new public artwork, described as an 11 metre tall, wind activated kinetic sculpture, recently installed at the junction of Yarra Glen, Melrose Drive and Yamba Drive is not only unnecessary, but also poses a serious traffic hazard for motorists on this busy intersection.

Another Update: artsACT has a brief on it:

Dinornis maximus has recently recently been installed at the junction of Yarra Glen, Melrose Drive and Yamba Drive.

Dinornis maximus is a prominent 11-metre tall wind-activated sculpture. The title refers to an ancient flightless bird.

The artwork forms a striking gateway on the northern edge of Woden Town Centre.

The sculpture uses fully-sealed rolling bearing systems designed for longevity and environmental resilience to create ‘a wind powered ballet in the sky’.

In describing his artworks New Zealand artist Phil Price says he seeks a ‘… combination of movement that provides a flow and a dance’.

78 Responses to New wind sculpture on Adelaide Avenue – Dinornis maximus
Pandy Pandy 8:07 am 15 Aug 08

Beautiful thing to hang Sonic from.

thetonguetwister thetonguetwister 9:27 pm 14 Aug 08

for everyones info its called Dinornis maximus- which is a large flightless bird found in NZ its also known as a moa

wiki search gives u this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa
the artist is from NZ and i think he has his name to the one in bondi
there was an article in the CTs a couple of weeks ago about it and various other artworks.
hopefully it wont cause accidents.
i like it
if we have to have our city all artworked up we may as well have something thats looks impressive.

miz miz 7:07 pm 14 Aug 08

Looks like a sickle or some kind of vicious guillotine-like blade snapping angrily at something. (Then again, maybe I have seen too many horror movies.)

Holden Caulfield Holden Caulfield 6:24 pm 14 Aug 08

First impressions I reckon it’s okay. But I do agree some of our less attentive drivers may cause some grief. A bit like the person on my commute home just now that couldn’t decide which of the two lanes to go in, so just drove down the middle of the road … at 30km/h.

FFS!!!

lux lux 6:22 pm 14 Aug 08

I drove past it at lunchtime, and thought, That’s pretty cool, distracting as it whirls around, but still pretty cool.

I drove past it about twenty minutes ago, and the blades were pointed to about 11 o’clock, and not moving. I liked the idea of a spinny thing, but not so keen on the stationary blades. Less distracting, but… dull.

Whatsup Whatsup 5:31 pm 14 Aug 08

I like it !

peterh peterh 5:23 pm 14 Aug 08

Sammy said :

Is this the first piece of major public art in Woden?

Nope, but Steve Pratt has wiped out all the others.

LOL!

good one sammy!

Sammy Sammy 5:11 pm 14 Aug 08

Is this the first piece of major public art in Woden?

Nope, but Steve Pratt has wiped out all the others.

Buzz2600 Buzz2600 5:09 pm 14 Aug 08

Driving home last night, I had no idea WTF it was! Thanks for clarifying. I thought there’s gonna be an accident for sure with all the rubber necking going on. Definitely not the best location for it, the lake would have been better. Ultimately, a great concept, only wish it produced some green energy at the same time! Is this the first piece of major public art in Woden?

RAGD RAGD 4:08 pm 14 Aug 08

Oh sorry. Yeah what blueberry already said.

RAGD RAGD 4:04 pm 14 Aug 08

I find it interesting that people blame their bad driving on what’s on the side of the road. If you get that distracted by objects on the side of the road then you probably shouldn’t be driving. No matter if it’s art, a car accident, someone walking their dog, metal grass, or what ever it may be.

Sammy Sammy 4:03 pm 14 Aug 08

I like it, but I think the location is totally inappropriate.

What is the point of art: to look at.

What is the point of driving: to watch the road in front of you.

Case closed.

sepi sepi 4:02 pm 14 Aug 08

I like it.

I love public art.

Melbourne inner city is fantastic for the sculptures on many of the corners.

and in the scheme of the ACT budget, these sculptures really don’t cost that much.
People just pick on them cos they are highly visible.

Far more money is wasted on these endless ‘reports’ and ‘committees’ they set up. Some of which never even see the light of day. Not to mention all the advertising this govt is running at the moment.

I don’t like football, but I don’t complain when the govt sponsors it, cos I know some people do like it. You can’t expect the govt to only fund stuff that you personally appreciate.

Joe Canberran Joe Canberran 4:02 pm 14 Aug 08

I like it too but some of the creative insults you guys are coming up with are fantastic 😀

AussieGal83 AussieGal83 3:47 pm 14 Aug 08

So, it’s a crazy inflatable flailing arm tube man, except slower, and less interesting.

Gold!

AussieGal83 AussieGal83 3:42 pm 14 Aug 08

Another wonderful addition in ‘Stanhope’s Shitty Industrial Art About Town’ series.

peterh peterh 3:33 pm 14 Aug 08

shanefos said :

peterh said :

oh, great. wait for the “what the hell is that??” accident…

Don’t ever go driving in Melbourne then, mate!

hey, if i have an accident there, it isn’t much of a bender, 10 km / year coming out of sunbury to the city, and then roundabouts everywhere!

easier to stop in melb traffic.

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 3:31 pm 14 Aug 08

jmac said :

I’m not an artistic person so i’m happy for you to fly insults at me and tell me how ignorant i am…but what is it with this government and so called art work along the roads. Can i please ask why can’t we save that money and actually put it to something useful…like duplication of some of our other roads. I would much prefer to drive on a road where traffic flows at a decent pace…then sit in traffic and look at this stuff.

JMAC, if you were to read back through the dim, dark recesses of the Riot archives, you will see the same observation made a great many times. We spend much of our time pondering the spending excesses on the government on rather odd items of public art such as the steel weeds beside the GDE and the tap dancing Al Grasby.

Loquaciousness Loquaciousness 3:08 pm 14 Aug 08

Skidbladnir said :

There was a thing in the CT a whie back about all the art Stanhope had acquired for Canberra at no cost to himself, and where to expect it to be placed.

I can think of a good spot. And it’s not in Woden. Or the GDE. In fact, it’s somewhat intimate to Stanhope – and the place where quite possibly he has produced these works of (somewhat negligible) art.

jmac jmac 3:02 pm 14 Aug 08

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.