News readers on WIN – we need a local Sandra Sully

DawnDrifter 23 July 2008 63

Im getting over it…

Watching local news with Jessica Good, Phil Small and co is really starting to get to me… Its got a very plastic, uncomfortable, awkward feel with nearly zero expression/emotion to it.

I know I can change the channel but I need my nightly fix of Canberra Raiders updates with some local news thrown in.. When is WIN going to discover a Sandra Sully or someone of that quality and stick em on at 630!?!?

We had Peter Leonard as our last anchor and he was as exciting as a floor board although did know how to read the news very well

what do you all think of the local news/journo talent we have in the ACT?
Good?
Bad?
Ugly?

63 Responses to News readers on WIN – we need a local Sandra Sully
1 2 3 4 Next »
Mr Evil Mr Evil 4:27 pm 23 Jul 08

Has anyone else noticed the local Southern Cross Ten news reader who appears on news updates during the evening?

She has one hell of a moustache!!!!!!

DawnDrifter DawnDrifter 4:08 pm 23 Jul 08

got my vote thumper…

spitfire… perhaps on the sports segment? would add some life to the coverage

Thumper Thumper 3:49 pm 23 Jul 08

I’d like Jessica to show a bit more cleavage.

That should improve the ratings..

Swaggie Swaggie 3:35 pm 23 Jul 08

Keep Good but improve her wardrobe. Please get rid of Small, he only speaks in half sentences and annoys the shit out of me.

neanderthalsis neanderthalsis 3:28 pm 23 Jul 08

johnboy said :

I’m waiting for Mark Carmody’s corsage to be bigger than his head.

It’s coming.

What was Ms Good wearing last night anyway???

She was showing solidarity with the WYD pilgrims and dressing like a Benedictine Monk.

VicePope VicePope 3:24 pm 23 Jul 08

The WIN news is pretty dreadful and it’s not helped by the Jessica Good (but not quite good enough for first grade) thing or the Phil Small stuff where he tries to make local sport sound serious. And there’s something not quite right about the shape of his head, or maybe it’s just the hair.

Brain explosion idea. Why doesn’t the ABC give Mark Carmody the Gardening Australia gig vacated by Peter Cundall and let us have an English speaker doing the weather?

sepi sepi 3:20 pm 23 Jul 08

WIN news used to have Mel (from Mel and Koshie) reading the news and Jessica Rowe doing the weather – it was ok then.

Most Canberra reporters with much get-up-and-go end up on Sydney news – like Marguerite McKinnon now, and various others. She was a bit pushy to work with, so I’m not surprised she has made it to the big smoke.

Spitfire3 Spitfire3 3:05 pm 23 Jul 08

DawnDrifter, would magnet mart guy be more to your liking?

Duke Duke 2:58 pm 23 Jul 08

Jessia Good is great but her wardrobe is hideous – not her decision i’m sure. All part of the thin budget the team obviously works with.

I like Janene Manwaring too – she’s hot, smokin hot! She should be considered for co-anchor instead of Phil Small.

I’m Ron Burgundy, you stay classy Canberra 🙂

wishuwell wishuwell 2:55 pm 23 Jul 08

WIN news is just plain lazy, just a reheated days Canberra Times which was yesterdays news to start with. Must make WIN news at least two days old.

notdingers notdingers 2:46 pm 23 Jul 08

Mr Evil – Hahaha thats kinda what I mean, she has this strange “news reporter voice” she is using. I am sure that is not her every day voice.

DawnDrifter DawnDrifter 2:45 pm 23 Jul 08

the 5pm and late news on 10 has a good all-round format.. like fnaah said the ‘working’ background looks great but i think its their almost conversational style of reading/crossing to reporters and the random humour makes it very easy to watch

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 2:22 pm 23 Jul 08

Showing that you can embed a photo in a comment sets a dangerous precedent, Jb.

Next thing you know scumdog will be back showing us things we never want to see (especially at work, where it might get someone fired).

Mr Evil Mr Evil 2:20 pm 23 Jul 08

notdingers said :

There is one reporter named Erin Molan (excuse the spelling if it is incorrect) She used to do alot of good work on Channel Vision (the transact local channel) from reporting to Vox Pops. She was really good

and seriously cute if she is reading 😉

Now she is on nine she has lost that energetic edge and has adopted the very stoic “professional” persona. It is quite strange to watch sometimes after seeing her with so much charisma on the other channel.

I think this might be the problem with the others too, they try to play this character of a serious newsreader rather then being themselves and bringing a bit of personality to it. Maybe thats just “how things are done” on the news, I’m not sure. But the net result is a pretty bland boring experience.

Plus I have had running discussions with friends going for months about the lighting they use to film in the studio. They need to get a proper lighting designer in there. I don’t know if it is not enough front or back lighting but it makes the readers look like cardboard cut outs which doesn’t help either.

Molan sounds like a foghorn when she speaks!

I don’t mind Virginia on ABC, especially now as she interacts a bit better with Mark when he tries to make a joke with her about planting a carrot between melons, or something like that.

Spideydog Spideydog 2:20 pm 23 Jul 08

Jessica is a babe……Oh and on aside note can read the news pretty good too, (ie, not a robot)

Phil Small and Co, are a little robotic and boring to watch (sorry guys…)

notdingers notdingers 2:11 pm 23 Jul 08

and seriously cute if she is reading 😉

johnboy johnboy 2:10 pm 23 Jul 08

I’m waiting for Mark Carmody’s corsage to be bigger than his head.

It’s coming.

What was Ms Good wearing last night anyway???

fnaah fnaah 2:07 pm 23 Jul 08

Personally I think they need to do somehting about the quality of the digital backdrop – their tech has improved recently (no more green jaggies around people’s heads) but it’s not as nice to look at as an actual set. Ten’s “working” set where you can see stuff in the background is awesome.

tom-tom tom-tom 2:05 pm 23 Jul 08

ABC weatherman. I cant get enough of him. personally i think he should stand for the legislative assembly.

LG LG 2:05 pm 23 Jul 08