News readers on WIN – we need a local Sandra Sully

DawnDrifter 23 July 2008 63

Im getting over it…

Watching local news with Jessica Good, Phil Small and co is really starting to get to me… Its got a very plastic, uncomfortable, awkward feel with nearly zero expression/emotion to it.

I know I can change the channel but I need my nightly fix of Canberra Raiders updates with some local news thrown in.. When is WIN going to discover a Sandra Sully or someone of that quality and stick em on at 630!?!?

We had Peter Leonard as our last anchor and he was as exciting as a floor board although did know how to read the news very well

what do you all think of the local news/journo talent we have in the ACT?
Good?
Bad?
Ugly?

63 Responses to News readers on WIN – we need a local Sandra Sully
Ged Ged 5:58 pm 09 Sep 08

Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot said :

GED – you’ve now posted this about 10000 times over the site……..

Will Jessica not answer your fan letter?

Does she not appreciate you watching her from afar?

Well, I didn’t start this particular site! I’ll stop whingeing when they get rid of Jessica and bring in a newsreader instead!

Whatsup Whatsup 5:55 pm 09 Sep 08

johnboy said :

What was Ms Good wearing last night anyway???

That was a shocker wasn’t it.

Ged Ged 5:54 pm 09 Sep 08

Pretty poor when people have to resort to insults to get a point across.

Isn’t there a moderator for this kind of stuff? It’s bad enough seeing so much of it on YouTube.

Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot 5:51 pm 09 Sep 08

GED – you’ve now posted this about 10000 times over the site……..

Will Jessica not answer your fan letter?

Does she not appreciate you watching her from afar?

Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot Eyeball In A Quart Jar Of Snot 5:48 pm 09 Sep 08

Ged said :

This current presentation makes Peter Leonard’s days on TV seem dynamic and authoritative.

I think you’ve got an asshole for an eyeball.

Oh, and Sandra Sully is a terrible news reader. Personally, I feels a news presenter should be able to spit out at least one sentence without struggle.

Anyways, stop wasting your time watching these programs. The news was manufactured 24 hours earlier underneath Jon Stanhope’s volcanic layer…. right?

Ged Ged 5:34 pm 09 Sep 08

Wow, you lot have let this subject go for a while! I found this blog after criticising the vacuous animatronic robot Jessica Good on other sites.

I repeat what I said elsewhere: Jessica Good is probably a “good” person, but she is not a “good” newsreader. She is arguably the worst newsreader in the entire worldwide history of television. Her plastic, expressionless persona always makes me feel embarrassed enough for her to want to switch off, but my son likes to catch up on the Raiders.

And what the hell is that 1950s TV equipment in the brown wooden box doing behind her ???????

regularbrowse regularbrowse 5:48 am 25 Jul 08

Listen to ABC Radio or check their website if you want comprehensive local news.
TV can only squash so much in with the National and International stories … and most editorial decisions are based on how much footage they have. That’s whay its nicknamed “Terrorvision”

My wishlist for a TV newsreader would be the ABC weather guy Mark Carmody. Good bloke. I want to know if he can get Virginia to prune roses. Always a funny chat after the weather.

Seepi – I think Mel (as in Mel and Kochie) used to work for Prime TV – back when they had a local newsroom. But I could be wrong on that. It was at least ten years ago. Sandra Sully used to work in Canberra too.

Overheard Overheard 1:36 am 25 Jul 08

fhakk said :

Um, yes indeed. Give me a good journalist with an authorative air and good comms skills anyday. If you want T&A from your news bulletins, how much news are you actually after? Surely, there are other places to go to be titallated.

Which reminds me of being at a mate’s place one night and he put on his Foxtel and we watched one of the more surreal shows I’ve ever witnessed: ‘The Naked News’ (US). Yes, the newscasters (all female) presented the stories while progressively shedding every stitch of clothing. Bizarre.

Having said all that, and having checked the link above to the vision of the French newsreader, est-ce-que je puis direz: Oh mon Dieu! Formidable! But maybe wasted on the news broadcast: I’d get to the end of a half hour bulletin and have no idea what the news was.

Overheard Overheard 1:26 am 25 Jul 08

heinous said :

As for any timing issues about when she’s doing some of her bulletins, I think the phrase you’re probably after is ‘pre-recorded’.

Overheard, surely this would be an anachronism for a news program.

I have no inside knowledge about this, but I recall it came up on Media Watch a while back wherein they showed how stations like WIN and Prime prepare all of their updates for the various regions (Canberra, Wollongong, wherever) from the one point and by the same people. I inferred that they were all recorded (not hours ahead of a time, but recorded early nonetheless). Hence, Ms Forest could conceivably knock over the evening updates for the various regions at, say, 8.30pm and then be in for the morning updates referred to above.

Again, I stress I have no intimate knowledge of their set-up, but I don’t believe you’re going to witness any up to the minute, late-breaking news on the little updates between the evening shows. I’m more than happy to be proven wrong.

jenna86 jenna86 10:58 pm 24 Jul 08

Doesn’t the guy that used to read updates for Southern Cross 10 now work for Win?

I wonder if they’ll put him on the desk?
He had a good voice and wasn’t so rigid.

Duke Duke 6:10 pm 24 Jul 08

@ Vice – There’s no point in WIN doing national news when there’s so much of it already. If you want national news switch the tv on at 6 or 7 and watch any network you choose.

I like the local format and know that if something important happens in Canberra you’ll get some decent coverage from WIN.

Jessica is looking great tonight – nothing brown or maternity-like but feminine instead. Agree with others about Sandra Sully – attractive woman but total fem-bot who often fluffed her lines.

heinous heinous 6:02 pm 24 Jul 08

Overheard, surely this would be an anachronism for a news program.

Or once at least do the news in a bikini.

BerraBoy68, I like your thinking. Perhaps more than just once would be good, I wouldn’t complain if it was every night for example.

fhakk fhakk 5:24 pm 24 Jul 08

DJ “What did it cost to buy your soul back?”

A lot of drinking in Europe, plus a significant boost in my salary 🙂

Dawndrifter – “consider this as feedback”

People should be more worried about content than they are about friggin cleavage. WIN’s got some problems, but no more so than virtually every newsroom in the nation. Plus I doubt they conduct focus groups or polling to gauge how it’s going, aside from the nightly AC Neilson poll. Either get used to it or do something about it, folks.

VicePope VicePope 4:57 pm 24 Jul 08

Gungahlin Al – I said I thought the ABC had done a smart thing (ie, picked a good structure by combining local and national news). It means there’s probably less than 10 minutes to be filled with local stuff (other than sport, of course) – much less challenging than trying to burble for 30 minutes (less ads). I was (pointedly) quite silent about the quality it produced or the journalistic skills it demonstrates.

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 2:35 pm 24 Jul 08

I think it is good that one of the local stations has a full local news stint, shoestring resources or not, it’s better than nothing.

And I’ll take Jessica Goode over Saundra Sully any time – that contrived voice and ‘headline’ talk instead of complete sentences (last bit not her fault I know).

The Win reporters do a good job of chasing up local news, they take the time to get the story right, and they don’t usually go off skewing stories.

I disageee with VP about the combined ABC coverage – they seldom cover anything other than what pops up on the ACT Govt media releases – even though they could tap into a much broader range of local stories via their radio station, the two areas don’t seem to talk to each other.

peterh peterh 2:26 pm 24 Jul 08

Skidbladnir said :

Showing that you can embed a photo in a comment sets a dangerous precedent, Jb.

Next thing you know scumdog will be back showing us things we never want to see (especially at work, where it might get someone fired).

or the bluecoat server denies access to the site….

Mick Mick 1:58 pm 24 Jul 08

I reckon there’s a good reason Win News is so plastic. (apart from Phil Small’s voice annoying the crapola out of me)

There is a total of 1 (maybe 2) crew running the show.
How hollow would you feel reading the news to an empty room. It must suck.

ABC News apparently has 2 crew. The auto-cue person also does the makeup..

VicePope VicePope 1:58 pm 24 Jul 08

To get back to the news, is there anyone else fed up with (a) the attempt to drum up revenue by hilariously silly polls on issues and (b) the invite to anyone with anything resembling news to contact the station on the basis that it couldn’t find news if it was stapled to its nether regions? As if, and I fear that this approach is going to get (ab)used by all sides of politics as the election draws nigh – I just hope they’re careful and critical. And, golly, if I were in the PR trade, I’d find some stories of benefit to my commercial clients.

WIN local news is poor, but no worse than the “national” (ie Sydney) news that precedes it. Full of late trains, NSW pollies irrelevant to the ACT and miracle cures for illnesses we didn’t know we had. Plus endless cross-promotion. Prime/Seven is no better. The ABC did a smart thing by merging local and national. SBS has been good, but the quality is wobbling.

Duke Duke 1:19 pm 24 Jul 08

“Meanwhile, I can’t decide whether I like or hate the Prime weather guy. he alternates between hilariously insane and downright cringeworthy.”

You mean Daniel Gibson? I think he’s excellent and should be doing more than just weather. I met him a few years ago and he’s a lovely guy off camera too.

I also like Madelaine Colignon (ex Channel Vision) who shares the weather with Daniel.

pug206gti pug206gti 12:47 pm 24 Jul 08

Jessica Good looks much thinner in real life, borderline Anna…maybe it’s true about the TV adding 5 kgs.

On another note Anne Fullwood, previously of Ten fame now does Newsradio day shift, and quite well too imho.