Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

Ngunnawal house fire with a familiar culprit

By johnboy - 25 August 2012 4

ACT Fire & Rescue has issued a reminder today about the importance of having working smoke alarms after a fire in Ngunnawal.

Fire crews responded to an emergency triple zero (000) just after 2 o’clock this morning in Carina Street.

Firefighters arrived to find fire in a bedroom of the property and a smoke alarm sounding off.

The sole occupant, an elderly lady, had safely evacuated from the property.

They quickly extinguished the fire containing it to the room.

The initial damage bill has been estimated at $5000.

ACT Fire & Rescue have confirmed the fire was started by an unattended cigarette.

[Courtesy ESA]

What’s Your opinion?


Post a comment
Please login to post your comments, or connect with
4 Responses to
Ngunnawal house fire with a familiar culprit
c_c 5:31 pm 27 Aug 12

Odd, the ESA statement doesn’t actually say ‘self-evacuated’. Yet they still used the term when I heard the story on the radio.

LumpySpacePrincess 5:28 pm 27 Aug 12

c_c said :

‘self-evacuated’ – surely there’s software that can spit these media releases out now. Even Siri sounds more human.

Self evacuated? I can’t see that, did they edit this or did you misread safely evacuated?

Question: when renting, is it the tenants or landlords responsibility to have smoke alarms fitted? I’ve just moved and this article has drawn my attention to the fact that there are none here….

c_c 4:59 pm 27 Aug 12

‘self-evacuated’ – surely there’s software that can spit these media releases out now. Even Siri sounds more human.

blueterrestra 4:45 pm 27 Aug 12

Fire-proof ash trays were invented quite some time ago. I wonder how it actually started?

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2017 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
www.the-riotact.com | www.b2bmagazine.com.au | www.thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site