Territory And Municipal Services have released their report into the operation of the NightRider bus service this summer.
Key Learnings from the trial were:
1. The service could not be seen to be cost effective in its current design at an average cost of $157 per passenger
2. The service carried most passengers on New Year’s Eve and night where there were special events.
3. Saturday nights usually carried almost twice as many passengers as Friday nights.
4. The Nightrider services to the suburbs carried most passengers. The loop services did not attract significant patronage.
5. An earlier procurement decision would have allowed for an earlier start on promotion.
6. Relocating the Nightrider bus stop may improve traffic operations.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
RiotACT humbly suggests that more online advertising and a smartphone app showing where the buses are, combined with sticking with it for more than a few months at a time, would dramatically help too.