Lifestyle

Thinking about your business
Is a big part of ours

Nitrous Oxide Cartridges

By datura 5 June 2008 49

Hi everyone.

I was just about to make some scones but I realised I had run out of the cartridges or bulbs for my whipped cream dispenser but for some reason I haven’t been able to find them in shops within the ACT. So could someone please tell me what shops sell these cartridges. It’s an emergency. These scones cannot be consumed without whipped cream.

Thanks

What’s Your opinion?

49 Responses to
Nitrous Oxide Cartridges
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Deadmandrinking 7:19 pm 06 Jun 08

Datura, please stay on riot-act. I couldn’t stop laughing reading this thread.

datura 6:33 pm 06 Jun 08

Kramer said :

Next week on RiotACT… I have a really bad head cold, where can I find a pharmacy that sells pseudoephedrine tablets?

Don’t worry about that. I’m already taking Robitussin for my bad cough

lemaChet 6:23 pm 06 Jun 08

kramer, all pharmacies sell psuedoephedrine, they just ask for your license.

this is a stunning differenc to victoria, where over the course of 2 weeks, we bought 3 packes, and weren’t asked for ID once.

astrojax 3:45 pm 06 Jun 08

Egg beater and a whisk as tickboom said. It is cheaper and they wont give you a headache or cause breathing difficulties. Less chance of brain damage too.

i dunno, sticking a beater in your head can mush up your brain some…

(and i have memories, kramer, of just ephedrine for ‘hay fever, sir’ – bugger this ‘psuedo’ stuff..! that and several schooners of cider made the hay fever seem a long way away.)

Kramer 2:40 pm 06 Jun 08

Fiona 1:55 pm 06 Jun 08

I like to throw a bitt of icing sugar (jsut a little) into my cream, makes it ticken better and takes the overly cream toaste away…

PBO 1:06 pm 06 Jun 08

Look datura, obviously there is a lot of opinion as to what you should get. Why not try both and stick with the one you like the most……….

fnaah 11:59 am 06 Jun 08

WMC, thanks for the info – didn’t know home brewers used nitrous. Note that I did say “don’t buy SODA ones”, I was just unaware they sold both. 🙂

Woody Mann-Caruso 11:36 am 06 Jun 08

are you sure it it nitrous oxide and not nitrogen they are selling?

They’re just run-of-the-mill bulbs for whipping cream. They even have a picture of whipped cream on the side.

skaboy12 9:17 am 06 Jun 08

p1 said :

Guarantee I can make one go bang in less then 90 seconds in a manner that will certainly cause damage, using only two other products available from the same IGA that you get the NO2.

I have to agree with him scottie, back when i was young and stupid i could make them go bang almost instantaniously. It all depends on the methods and ‘ingredients’ used. And it was all available at the supermarket.

NoAddedMSG 8:59 am 06 Jun 08

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

Lastly, DON’T buy Soda ones from a brewery supply.

Erm…why? They sell both kinds, and they know the difference between them. CO2 is for carbonation and dispensing. Nitro is for mixing with the CO2 for finer carbonation, denser head and a creamier finish. Get a Tap-A-Draft, put a CO2 bulb in one side and an nitro bulb in the other, then fill it with stout (or some other British ale). Voila – widget / Irish-pub style beer.

But when you buy a can of guiness etc, it is nitrogen, not nitrous oxide, in the widget. So, are you sure it it nitrous oxide and not nitrogen they are selling? The difference is pretty substantial.

lemaChet 8:03 am 06 Jun 08

scottie – you can explode Soda bulbs in much less than 30 minutes 😛

lemaChet 8:01 am 06 Jun 08

also try supabarn in the city and IGA at Kingston.

lemaChet 8:00 am 06 Jun 08

Soda bulbs are CO2.
Cream bulbs are NO2.

You can get Cream bulbs at Florey IGA.
Whatever you do, don’t explode Cream bulbs. Soda bulbs are for exploding. Cream bulbs have better (albeit just as stupid) uses..

shiny flu 12:32 am 06 Jun 08

Make your own!

whipped cream.

p1 9:54 pm 05 Jun 08

scottie_517 8:54 pm 05 Jun 08

Hehe – you wouldn’t even get halfway through taking a breath of co2 before you coughed your little lungs out. Bloody hell – I can’t believe the government (and community) is so concerned about people making “bombs” from these things. You have to heat the bloody things for half an hour to get them to blow (Ok – I used to do it when I was a kid) – and even when they do go off it doesn’t have that much explosive energy (on the other hand, they do make nasty shrapnel). If someone wanted to make real bungers/bombs all it takes is a trip to the hardware – but you don’t see those items being banned?

ant 8:26 pm 05 Jun 08

Yuck, “whipped” cream from those fake dispensers is SO tacky. Rotary beater, or hand-held motor beater makes very nice whipped cream. Put a few drops of vanilla in, and some icing sugar if you want to tart it up a bit.

Our crop of grads at work were moving on to their next rotation and made scones and brought all the usual stuff to put on them. But the bloke who brought one of those squirty cans of ‘cream’ incurred derision and was seen squirting it into a bowl, and then carefully flattening it down with a spoon so it’d look like real cream.

Woody Mann-Caruso 8:26 pm 05 Jun 08

Lastly, DON’T buy Soda ones from a brewery supply.

RealBasic 7:40 pm 05 Jun 08

Ha ha ha.. That’s so f***ing funny.

starry 7:03 pm 05 Jun 08

Palmerston IGA end ailse facing the freezers