No noise please, we’re Canberran

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo 17 January 2012 91

Today’s Crimes has it that Summernats, Stonefest and Groovin’ in the Moo copped multiple EPA fines for noise pollution between 2007 and 2011.

Interestingly, the authority warned the Chief Minister’s Department for exceeding noise levels for the 2007 Australia Day Live event, however no further action was taken.

This is why we can’t have exciting things.

91 Responses to No noise please, we’re Canberran
1 2 3 5 Next »
G-Fresh G-Fresh 12:31 pm 17 Jan 12

hahaha what a bunch of whingers! Try living in the west bank for a while

Skyring Skyring 12:30 pm 17 Jan 12

KB1971 said :

I have always wondered this? Which residents are actualy complianing? Is it the ones who line Northbourne/Barton Hwy &/or are within a couple of streets of one of the busiest roads in Canberra? If so then how is the noise really that different?

The residents that are further would defiantely notice an increase as their background noise is less but having said that, these suburbs are in the middle of the busiest part of Canberra. Living in town coes with noise, antisocial behavoir on the other hand is a different thing.

Its appears to be hypocrytical, bit like the residents of Majura whinging about the noise of a drag strip when the airport is right there.

I’m guessing that you are a resident of neither place, and are therefore talking from a low level of knowledge about the facts.

My understanding is that the unhappiness with the noise and the smoke is genuine, as are the complaints about them.

chewy14 chewy14 12:29 pm 17 Jan 12

Solidarity said :

Skyring said :

The people I feel most sorry for are those Watson residents who have been putting up with twenty five years of Summernats. Every year we see the same complaints from the same people about noise, smoke, loutish behaviour etc. Where does the government stand on deliberately inflicting misery on these folk, albeit by proxy?

I’d say a vast majority of Watson residents would have known about Summernats before moving in.

That’s not the point. The residents there are complaining about excessive noise and noxious smoke pollution. Their misery is real. Are we, as a community, so callous that we think it’s okay to inflict unhappiness on a part of the community so that another part can experience pleasure?

No, that’s not the point.
Resident complaints should have little bearing on what the EPA does.
Every event should have to comply to set standards and if they break them they should get penalised.

I think myself and a lot of other people would like an order of occupancy rule so that events and venues that were in a location first should not have their restrictions increased when people move closer and closer to where they are.

Interesting that the CMD gets off while other events get fined.

Dork Dork 12:27 pm 17 Jan 12

That is so silly. Like everybody doesn’t hear a car hooning along their street every now and then? Or someone blasting their music till early morning? It’s the same thing, you just have to deal with it, they are not going to get rid of loud cars or stereos or even people with loud voices anytime soon, so people just suck it up. Why can’t these people? I say have a teaspoon of concrete and harden up.

Skyring Skyring 12:23 pm 17 Jan 12

powerpuffpete said :

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo said :

Skyring said :

If the worst thing in your life is putting up with Summernats for one weekend a year, consider yourself fortunate.

That’s like telling someone who has been burgled that they are lucky they weren’t raped as well. Such lucky people!

Nope, it’s not like that at all.

Telling miserable people that they are lucky? There may be different reasons for the misery, but it’s the same misery, surely?

Skyring Skyring 12:20 pm 17 Jan 12

Dork said :

You have got to be kidding me. They chose to live there for my first point, if they have such a big problem with noise, buy a house in the middle of nowhere. People are too sensitive these days. You can’t handle a bit of noise? It’s one week of the year, some of the events listed are one night a year. All of the events list have a finish time of 11-2 at the latest, You are not missing an entire nights sleep. During summernats maybe, but in that case it’s certain people not everybody involved in the event hoons around all night. You need to get your ears checked, they are to sensitive.

I don’t live in Watson and my hearing degraded long ago. But I like to think that I am sensitive to the unhappiness of other people – for whatever reason – and would like to see them happy and comfortable. I would like to see everybody happy, if at all possible.

Skyring Skyring 12:13 pm 17 Jan 12

Solidarity said :

Instant Mash Instant Mash 12:12 pm 17 Jan 12

Sounds like some heads might be better off back up the rear ends from whence they came.

KB1971 KB1971 12:06 pm 17 Jan 12

Dork said :

Dork Dork 11:44 am 17 Jan 12

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:36 am 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

Problem being, loud concerts now have to be restricted to silly times (ending ridiculously early), and – Canberra has a particular problem with this one – venues that host live music get shut down because residences have moved into the area post-factum and started complaining.

Solidarity Solidarity 11:31 am 17 Jan 12

Skyring Skyring 11:29 am 17 Jan 12

buzz819 said :

Yeah, we should hold Summernats in the Manuka Taxi Rank.

There’s only two places in Canberra that are worth “cruising”. The Braddon/Civic area, and Manuka/Kingston. I used to enjoy watching the fancy lowered cars cruise along the speed bumps in Manuka. Every now and then someone from interstate would have their eyes on the cafe tables not the road and hit the big bump on Franklin Street with a satisfying wallop.

powerpuffpete powerpuffpete 11:26 am 17 Jan 12

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo said :

Skyring said :

Nope, it’s not like that at all.

Skyring Skyring 11:22 am 17 Jan 12

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo said :

poetix poetix 11:14 am 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

I don’t have to make a lot of noise when I’m having an exciting time…

I wish I got the room next to you in hotels.

buzz819 buzz819 11:13 am 17 Jan 12

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo said :

Skyring said :

Yeah, we should hold Summernats in the Manuka Taxi Rank.

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo joeyjojojuniorshabadoo 11:11 am 17 Jan 12

Skyring Skyring 11:00 am 17 Jan 12

I don’t have to make a lot of noise when I’m having an exciting time. No do I emit a lot of smoke and firecrackers.

Loud concerts are one thing, but just as mowing your lawn at three in the morning is generally frowned upon by the neighbours, loud concerts during the reasonable sleeping hours of nearby residents are antisocial.

buzz819 buzz819 10:45 am 17 Jan 12

In all fairness when these events are held in Canberra, the EPA puts a condition on their permits saying they can’t go above a certain noise level, if they do, they get fined.

Seems fine to me.