No noise please, we’re Canberran

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo 17 January 2012 91

Today’s Crimes has it that Summernats, Stonefest and Groovin’ in the Moo copped multiple EPA fines for noise pollution between 2007 and 2011.

Interestingly, the authority warned the Chief Minister’s Department for exceeding noise levels for the 2007 Australia Day Live event, however no further action was taken.

This is why we can’t have exciting things.

91 Responses to No noise please, we’re Canberran
Skyring Skyring 4:18 pm 17 Jan 12

powerpuffpete said :

Sorry, I really don’t agree that being inconvenienced by noise is the same as being attacked by a burgler or rapist. That’s disproportionate. I think the original point joey was making is that Watson is probably generally a pretty good place to live, which is why he mentions being “fortunate”. If the residents there didn’t agree, I’m not sure what reason they would have had for moving there in the first place, or continuing to live there long term.

I’m sorry you thought I was equating several different things, such as burglary and rape and Summernats. Not at all. Just the feelings of unhappiness created by the different events. If a Watson resident says that their lives are miserable each Summernats due to noise, toxic smoke, loutish behaviour and all the rest of it, then who are we to say that they are mistaken?

It’s akin to telling the victim of a burglary that they are insured, so just suck it up and use the insurance money to buy something better and be glad it wasn’t worse, you lucky bastard!

Or telling famine victims in Africa that they should be pleased with their weightloss program.

Ridiculing the suffering of other people is pretty low, in my opinion.

Dork Dork 4:25 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

powerpuffpete said :

Ridiculing the suffering of other people is pretty low, in my opinion.

I fail to believe that people who have to deal with a bit of noise a few days a year can be considered “suffering”. The ridiculing comes from the fact they actually believe they are suffering. You cannot compare these situations as they are nothing alike.

Skyring Skyring 4:26 pm 17 Jan 12

powerpuffpete said :

Personally I enjoy a lot of the events in Canberra (bar Summernuts). I think a little bit of noise is worth it. And I strongly believe that if a majority of Canberrans feel the same way then, yeah, democratically the option to enjoy events should be made available.

So pleasure at the expense of someone else’s unhappiness is okay? So long as minorities are being harmed or suffering, the pleasure of the majority outweighs this?

Again, I make the point that we, as a community, put a lot of effort into relieving the suffering of tiny minorities. We pay for fire brigades to put out the fires of those very few Canberrans unlucky enough to have their house catch fire. We pay for hospitals to look after the few who are ill enough to need dedicated medical care.

And yet, those few who express genuine unhappiness over the invasions of noise, toxic smoke and louts are mocked and ridiculed and told that they are lucky. I don’t agree.

Skyring Skyring 4:30 pm 17 Jan 12

KB1971 said :

Skyring said :

KB1971 said :

I actually think that all the complaints we hear about are from a minority rather than the majority but that is more my disbelief in the media & he said/she said gossop more than anything else.

Do you see misery and unhappiness as like a democracy? If most people are happy, then that’s okay?

Or should we look at those who are not happy and see how we can help them?

After all, only a few people are sick or injured. Most of the community are fine and healthy.

Yet still we have hospitals and doctors. We have a fire brigade for that tiny minority of Canberrans whose houses burn down. They should just suck it up instead of whining and we could all save a lot of money on insurance and rates and taxes, right?

No I see that there are groups that have self interest at hand when they get on the media & shed negative light on an event.

Just like you are now, you are promoting the fact that the residents of Watson are supposedly disadvantaged by on event. You are dramatising the fact to get your point across, but you are presenting no facts.

The complaints to the government, the letters to the editor, they are there for all to see and read. They have been going on for twenty-five years. Of course there is self-interest. These people who live closest to the Summernats venue do not wish to endure the noise, smoke and antisocial behaviour that goes on.

Are you somehow saying that these people are lying, and they really actually enjoy Summernats? Or are you demeaning and ridiculing and mocking them, because you do not wish to address their unhappiness?

Skyring Skyring 4:37 pm 17 Jan 12

Dork said :

Skyring said :

powerpuffpete said :

Ridiculing the suffering of other people is pretty low, in my opinion.

They say they are suffering and unhappy, but you don’t believe them. You know better than they do. Right.

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo joeyjojojuniorshabadoo 4:39 pm 17 Jan 12

Deep breaths, Skyring.

chewy14 chewy14 4:48 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring is doing a great effort of trolling here.

Surely no one is really affected this much by a few nights of noise every year?

Oh wait, I just remembered how we used to have fireworks until the whingers had their way.

Evil_Kitten Evil_Kitten 4:56 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

as a community

As a community we should all have a bit of give and take! There are plenty of events that I don’t care about (like that stupid flower show) and inconvenience me but I deal with it. Perhaps the people who hear a burnout or two or a loud engine could do the same instead of whinging.

It’s only a few days – how hard is it??

Or perhaps we can all complain about every single event held in Canberra and end up with NOTHING. No Nats, no Floriade, no festivals, no concerts in the park, no NYE fireworks in Civic and the list goes on. We will be known as the most boring city in Australia (oh wait… we already are) and we can all sit in our houses in dead silence.

danggers16 danggers16 4:58 pm 17 Jan 12

old people 🙁

Dork Dork 5:10 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

Dork said :

Skyring said :

powerpuffpete said :

Ridiculing the suffering of other people is pretty low, in my opinion.

No, YOU say that they are ‘suffering’. No one I know that lives near these events has ever described their dislike for the noise as ‘suffering’, more just a fact of life, which it is. How are they possibly suffering? what is the worst that they have to deal with? a bit of noise for a few nights a year? you have to be joking if you consider this suffering, every person that lives in a city has to deal with this for the reason that: people make noise

Why don’t we not have planes either, they fly over my house? Oh wait, I chose to live here, knowing that planes will fly over. FACT OF LIFE.

I think you are overreacting a little bit. Just a smidge.

fabforty fabforty 5:32 pm 17 Jan 12

How hard is it ? Try having someone park in your driveway for four days and constantly rev their car, and I mean CONSTANTLY. Then they do a few dozen burnouts. Then they turn their car stereo up as far as it will go. You will need to put up with this for about four days straight. You can’t open a window or door because the air stinks so bad. Regardless of the noise level of our usual day-to-day lives, this is totally unacceptable.

You also need to pay for security because in previous years these losers have walked around your complex smashing anything they can and p*ssing on your front door.

And for those who say “Summernats was here first”, check your history. Watson is arguably the oldest suburb in Canberra.

Skyring Skyring 5:37 pm 17 Jan 12

chewy14 said :

Skyring is doing a great effort of trolling here.

Surely no one is really affected this much by a few nights of noise every year?

They are just making it up. They really enjoy all that burnt tyre smoke. Those complaints they make to the government, they are just to stir things up. Those heartfelt letters to the editor – just a bit of fun. Secretly they are laughing on the inside, closet revheads.

If it’s someone else’s pain, it doesn’t count, right?

It’s not my problem, and I wasn’t affected at all by Summernats this year. But there was no mistaking the unhappiness of some Watson residents, and there is no mistaking the bizarre attitude of some here who think that Watson folk were lucky to have suffered.

Evil_Kitten Evil_Kitten 5:47 pm 17 Jan 12

fabforty said :

Bloody hell, where do you live? Summernats front gate? lol

I’m guessing you’re in those apartments on the Federal Highway? So while Watson may be the oldest suburb in Canberra, they’re certainly not.

But yes, I agree, that’s unacceptable. Why were they parked in the driveway for 4 days, were they staying with one of your neighbours? Did you call the police?

Skyring Skyring 5:49 pm 17 Jan 12

Evil_Kitten said :

Skyring said :

as a community

It’s only a few days – how hard is it??

So it’s more than just “a burnout or two”. It’s a few days – and nights – of unwanted noise and pollution. It’s inflicting unhappiness on other people that bothers me.

Sure, there’s a bit of give and take in every community. Everyone knows and accepts that. My feeling is that those Watson residents who are upset enough to lodge complaints regard their discomfort and unhappiness as going beyond the normal “give and take”.

Otherwise they wouldn’t bother to complain.

I’m especially amused by the attempts at spin-doctoring – “Oh, it’s just a little bit of engine noise. They are really lucky compared to people in war zones.”

And yes, I’m happily trolling to see who bites. That’s what this site is all about, yeah?

Dork Dork 6:01 pm 17 Jan 12

fabforty said :

If they are on your property you can call the police (this is the reason we have police)
as for doing burnouts, i’ll listen to your complaints once you have gone outside and actually tried to get the number plate of the dickhead doing it. This would be the same for every other day of the year. The reason for summernats is to have a place where people can do it LEGALLY. This is in regards to the noise level of the EVENT, not the noise level of dickheads on your street ruining it for everybody.

I never said they were making it up, or that they are lucky. I’m saying that you have to understand that noise levels is something that everybody has to deal with, not just people who live next to high profile events. Stop making it sound like you are special just because there is an event going on. There are noisy people everywhere.

DrKoresh DrKoresh 6:32 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

powerpuffpete said :

Skyring: 1st world problems bro, the idea you can call it “suffering” is a sick joke in itself, seriously, grow up a bit, eh? I hate SummerNats as much as you do, but I hate snobbery even more so and you, sir, are being a snob.

Skyring Skyring 6:58 pm 17 Jan 12

DrKoresh said :

What makes you think I hate Summernats? Or anything? I detest bad behaviour, but there is a lot about Summernats to like – in my case the classic cars and the gentlemen, many of them my classic age, who have devoted decades to their cars. I cannot say that a P-plater in a rusty old Commodore shitbox turns me on, but a lovingly restored ’65 Mustang, and I drool.

As for “suffering”, I merely repeat the term used in recent Canberra opinion and letters pages. The suffering, discomfort and unhappiness exists, as expressed by the residents.

HenryBG HenryBG 7:34 pm 17 Jan 12

DrKoresh said :

Skyring said :

powerpuffpete said :

“Hello, is that Urban Services?”

“Yes, how may we help you”

“I have a noise complaint”

“Is that so?”

“Yes, my Tutsi neighbours have some Hutu visitors over, and the screaming is upsetting my cat”

Dork Dork 7:45 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring said :

DrKoresh said :

By ‘gentlemen’ i’m guessing you mean the old codgers giving rides to girls that are old enough to be their granddaughters?

I understand what you are trying to say, it’s the same with any other complaints that anything gets. If the good outweighs the bad it’s going to stay. A few people are not a community, it’s probably the same person writing them anyway.

vg vg 7:53 pm 17 Jan 12

Interesting to read the posts of the self-interested bogans who either live with Mummy and Daddy, or in Tuggers, or both.

Having lived in Downer previously (about 200m in a straight line from the front door of EPIC), said house being built 25 years before Summernats started, I can say that whilst the noise and smoke may only be 3 days a year it doesn’t make it less annoying.

Perhaps I can find the naysayers someone to punch them in the face for ‘only’ 3 days a year.

Interestingly there are EP laws in the ACT that Summernats breached and admitted by paying the fines. Would that then not indicate a reasonable case for objection?

You may well advise a teaspoon of concrete to harden up. I’d advise a case full of fish oil to assist brain function for those that suggest the former