No noise please, we’re Canberran

joeyjojojuniorshabadoo 17 January 2012 91

Today’s Crimes has it that Summernats, Stonefest and Groovin’ in the Moo copped multiple EPA fines for noise pollution between 2007 and 2011.

Interestingly, the authority warned the Chief Minister’s Department for exceeding noise levels for the 2007 Australia Day Live event, however no further action was taken.

This is why we can’t have exciting things.

91 Responses to No noise please, we’re Canberran
Skyring Skyring 12:02 pm 18 Jan 12

KB1971 said :

Skyring said :

KB1971 said :

Bzzzt. Wrong!
You should read what is being written. I’m talking about the residents of Watson who were moved to complain about the noise, the smoke etc. in terms emphasising suffering, misery, unhappiness and so on.

Some Watson residents love Summernats. I seem to recall Chic Henry living there at one stage.

But my concern is with the people who are suffering, not those who would like to see it a year-round event.

Um, not so, nowhere have you talked about a minority of Watson residents but have used general tems.

I’ve just checked, and this turns out not to be the case. But I’m always happy – as above – to clarify the misunderstandings of those who are hasty or illiterate or backwards in their comprehension.

Dork Dork 12:02 pm 18 Jan 12

But in all honesty, you are overreacting, being unrealistic and over exaggerating. My neighbour has baby who I can hears crying at night, let’s get rid of all the babies.

Watson residents wont be happy until there is complete silence at ALL times. Now i’m going to make a special effort to turn my music up really loud everytime I drive through.

Dork Dork 11:58 am 18 Jan 12

Also mentioned on there is that Watson residents are annoyed with the noise because of Canberra airport.

Let’s get rid of all the planes!

KB1971 KB1971 11:47 am 18 Jan 12

Skyring said :

KB1971 said :

Bzzzt. Wrong!

The thread has talked about minorities but not in Watson specifically 😉

Dork Dork 11:47 am 18 Jan 12

In the last edition of the watson ‘watzon’ newsletter, the only thing they mention about summernats is that they had someone attend nightly meetings with the event organizers. It doesn’t say whether they expressed concern, or anything like that really, just that they were there.

Skyring Skyring 11:42 am 18 Jan 12

Keijidosha said :

So where can I read what is being written on the subject?

Kindly check the tagline.

Keijidosha Keijidosha 11:27 am 18 Jan 12

Skyring said :

So where can I read what is being written on the subject?

Skyring Skyring 11:13 am 18 Jan 12

KB1971 said :

Bzzzt. Wrong!

EvanJames EvanJames 10:47 am 18 Jan 12

chilli said :

I live a couple of streets back from Northborne and yes, the noise increases a bit during Summernats, but I quite like it. There are worse things in the world than the throb of a supercharged V8, or having a car do a few donuts at the end of your street once a year.

It may not be your idea of fun, but it is for a lot of other people – harmless fun too, for the most part.

Live and let live.

Yes, but if the “fun” of some people impacts severely on the lives of others, “live and let live” doesn’t apply. It seems that people calling for Freedom and Tolerance from other people are always intent on foisting their noise or other undesirable effects on other people, but don’t recognise that other people should be free from their noise, or expect tolerance for their desire for quiet.

No one has the right to blast other people with noise and anti-social behaviour.

KB1971 KB1971 10:03 am 18 Jan 12

chilli said :

Live and let live.

My point exactly. Skyring is generalising all the residents of Watson hate it, I am sure not all residents feel the same. I still see no evidence of a massive uproar in Watson every year about the nats.

Skyring Skyring 8:16 am 18 Jan 12

HenryBG said :

sepi said :

Still – it is a big improvement now they don’t let them sleep in their cars all up the side of the federal hwy, and you would have to walk past them all pissing on the nature strip every morning.

Oh dear, people pissing. What would Queen Victoria say, if she knew people were pissing?

I think it was Queen Follett at that stage. She didn’t like to think about it.

Or anything much, really.

Dork Dork 7:55 am 18 Jan 12

Jivrashia said :

Let me see if I get the logic…

Canberra yielded to the will (whinge) of the people who complain about the noise for a few hours a year, because it upset their pets.

Canberra ridicules the whinge (will) of people who complains about the noise for three days a year that personally upsets them.

My brain is full of fudd.

Maybe the problem is not that they arent banning summernats, but that they banned fireworks in the first place?

chilli chilli 11:53 pm 17 Jan 12

Live and let live.

HenryBG HenryBG 11:13 pm 17 Jan 12

sepi said :

There is also the minor inconvenience of having to pick bits of melted tyre off your washing or outdoor settings.

Jivrashia Jivrashia 10:48 pm 17 Jan 12

Let me see if I get the logic…

My brain is full of fudd.

sepi sepi 10:31 pm 17 Jan 12

Skyring Skyring 8:42 pm 17 Jan 12

Dork said :

…a bit of noise.

Like a puppy sneezing. How anyone could be offended is beyond belief.

HenryBG HenryBG 8:40 pm 17 Jan 12

Dork said :

vg said :

Interesting to read the posts of the self-interested bogans who either live with Mummy and Daddy, or in Tuggers, or both.

Having lived in Downer previously (about 200m in a straight line from the front door of EPIC), said house being built 25 years before Summernats started, I can say that whilst the noise and smoke may only be 3 days a year it doesn’t make it less annoying.

Perhaps I can find the naysayers someone to punch them in the face for ‘only’ 3 days a year.

Interestingly there are EP laws in the ACT that Summernats breached and admitted by paying the fines. Would that then not indicate a reasonable case for objection?

You may well advise a teaspoon of concrete to harden up. I’d advise a case full of fish oil to assist brain function for those that suggest the former

Wrong on all accounts!

Punching someone in the face is different from a bit of noise. Read my previous comments. My brain functions just fine. thankyou for being so concerned.

Additionally, it is amusing to see an ex-copper accuse others of being bogans….

Dork Dork 8:30 pm 17 Jan 12

vg said :

Wrong on all accounts!

Dilandach Dilandach 8:16 pm 17 Jan 12

vg said :

The house may have been built just after the beginning of time but did you life there before summernats started? Let alone before epic park and the various shows that go on during the year?

vg said :