North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…

rosebud 22 August 2008 93

Top 10 things I like about the Northside:

— Walking up to Mt Ainslie from behind the War Memorial, particularly when the Balloons are up and there is snow on the mountains
— Dickson pool in summer
— Lonsdale St trendy shops
— Corroboree Park trees
— The Dendy
— Bollywood Marsala Indian takeaway at Dickson
— The AIS learn to swim program (I love the idea of kids learning to swim at an elite athlete college!)
— Cycling to work in 10 minutes…downhill!
— Gorman House
— Not living in Weston Creek!

93 Responses to North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…
I-filed I-filed 10:46 am 24 Aug 08

North, yes, but which side of Northbourne?

tastyjam tastyjam 10:41 am 24 Aug 08

Drinking a beer in Charnwood doesn’t make me a bogan, that’s like saying anyone with a croissant in manuka is a snob.

and yes, mates and i went to charny club that night and i stashed my beer in the soon-to-be crime scene on the way.

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 10:18 am 24 Aug 08

I’ve lived both Northside and Southside and loved them both when I was there. Ergo, the best thing about living either the northside or southside must be ‘me’!

I do love the metal sheep at Kambah shops though. I’ve convinced my kids that’s where ‘steel wool’ comes from.

Tastyjam – how the hell does your beer become part of the crime scene at the Charnwood stabbing unless you were drinking it outside charcoal BBQ chook shop one arvo? Don’t look now but if thats what happened, chances are you’re (stage whispers….)a Bogan!

astrojax astrojax 8:45 am 24 Aug 08

Love it Astrojax. Can we now get started on inappropriately placed appostrophes when indicating a plural ? ie Spa’s and car’s ?

‘s been done to death here already, i think. sooner try to reclaim ‘effect’ and ‘affect’ from [insert expletive here] ‘impact/ing/ed/s’

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr……..

sadly, an enterprise doomed to fail, methinks. 🙁

Cletus Cletus 5:31 pm 23 Aug 08

Man, you should come to Kingston occasionally! Smackies, vandalism, and crime (both violent and petty) in abundance! I also house-sat in Red Hill last year and saw more of the same while walking the dog around the suburb – esp. around the shops.

Southside has its areas, sure. And everywhere is going to have some crime. But it has plenty more smackie free places than northside tends to, in my experience.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 4:09 pm 23 Aug 08

I like Weston Creek because some mornings I can wake up and look down on a valley full of fog, or mountains covered with snow.
There are also times when you can look up at Mount Taylor, Arawang, or down towards Gleneagles and can see eagles flying around scouting for food.

The Parkway can put me in Civic, Belconnen, or Tuggeranong in a under ten minutes.

Also, the Irish Club is close.

fabforty fabforty 10:31 am 23 Aug 08

astrojax said :

Less bogans.

fewer, people. ‘fewer’ whole, single entities, ‘less’ of stuff that comprised of various bits – eg: less flour (you can have an non-determined amount and it will still be ‘flour’); ‘fewer’ coins (you can only have ‘a’ coin or no coin, not half a coin. if it isn’t a whole coin it isn’t a coin) or ‘fewer’ occasions (each time something happens, it happens ‘a’ time, not ‘half happening’) it’s easy…

while we’d all like to see bogans dismembered, they’d still be ‘a’ bogan with a limb missing. we want fewer, not less.

carry on…

tastyjam tastyjam 10:14 am 23 Aug 08

South side is a few degrees warmer, on average, than north side, except if you’re out and about in which case you’ll cop the wind.
My buddy in Stab Central (charny) also says that except for the recent stabbing, (to which my beer actually became part of the crime scene… *tugs collar*), he hasn’t heard of/seen a single incident which sets charny apart.

Northside has “Bega Flats”, the big complex opposite city centre. Southside has the equivalent, it’s called Stuart Flats in Manuka. Dunno what intelligent individual made the decision to put Stuart Flats in prime proximity to a McDonalds and (until recently) 24 hour coles. I lived in Stuart Flats for 6 months and it’s no tea party. So no points for either side on that one.

Personally I like Woden mall better than Civic though. Civic’s confusing… or is it my tiny Far South Coast NSW grown brain…

astrojax astrojax 10:07 am 23 Aug 08

Less bogans.

carry on…

Thumper Thumper 9:18 am 23 Aug 08

11. Everyone in the south is a drug addict.

oh, hang on, that;s Redfern, how did I get that mixed up 😉

Spitfire3 Spitfire3 9:17 am 23 Aug 08

Both sides have bogans and yuppies, well outnumbered by normal people. Both sides have great restaurants, tourist attractions, and multiple cinemas. Both sides are surrounded by incredible countryside. Both sides have leafy suburbs blessed with wonderful birdlife, and both sides have sheep sculptures.

Both sides have ‘supporters’ who think support is better performed by insulting the other rather than promoting your own.

The south side of Canberra is very nice. I would rather live on the south side of Canberra than anywhere else, except… the north side.

gun street girl gun street girl 9:12 am 23 Aug 08

2604 said :

Cletus said :

Not sure why people automatically equate the Inner South with a good quality of life, either. While it’s conveniently-located, and awfully trendy for the eating-grey-poupon-in-Manuka set, I would hate to be raising kids here.

Would you rather raise them next door to the likes of Ainslie Village or Havelock House…?

Seriously – both inner North and South have their fair share of public housing shockers – it’s not as though all the smackies live on one side of the bridge.

Matto Matto 4:24 am 23 Aug 08

Nice one Mælinar. Sux you have to spend so much time down there. But at least it’s not happening in our neck of the woods, Charnie excluded. And that was in broad day/nightlight, so it doesn’t count.

2604 2604 1:28 am 23 Aug 08

Cletus said :

Mælinar - *spoiler alert* I've seen S04E13 Mælinar - *spoiler alert* I've seen S04E13 11:01 pm 22 Aug 08

1. I’ve been up looking for dead people at Point Hut Crossing
2. I’ve watched the sun rise over a snowy ridge (and summarily go down) while looking for dead people.
3. I’ve done more forensic searches at flat complexes Southside
4. Your pathetic excuse of a road is called Tharwa Bridge
5. Your closer to the snow
6. They can’t afford knives at Lanyon, you know thats not because they aren’t bogans, its because they are poor bogans
7. In Belconnen, there was no kangaroo protest. Some hippies came up from Southside and made a fuss, and then got into their pajeros and landcruisers and drove home and didn’t see the irony of the situation
8. You can call the parkway whatever you like, no northsider needs to drive on it
9. You have the Hyperdome – what the ?
10. Don’t open the temporal gate. There’s so many more items, us northsiders might raise the stakes and start listing them in 20’s.

huwr huwr 10:40 pm 22 Aug 08

Ten things I like about Brocolli

– It’s green
– It’s delicious
– It’s good for you
– You can pretend you are big mean monster that’s eating trees
– It stir fries really well
– It’s cheaper than meat
– It’s suitable for just about every mean
– It doesn’t stain
– Eating it will make you big and strong
– Less bogans.

bd84 bd84 10:39 pm 22 Aug 08

Ah the north side.. affectionately known as the dark side.

I had the pleasure (or lack of) of going to smellconnen for work in the last week. I have come to the conclusion that it’s overtaken Tuggeranong in the young teenage mother and kids wagging stakes. There were more kids than adults in the mall in the middle of the day and I counted at least 6 teen mothers, when I’d be lucky to could 3 or 4 in the Hyperdome, what’s been happening in the con lately??!

I do have to say I haven’t been to Queanbeyan in a fairly long time, so I can’t make comparisions as to whether the dark side has become worse than there..

Cletus Cletus 10:00 pm 22 Aug 08

rosebud: help? Uh, you got plenty of help from other posters, if you’d care to read them!

It’s funny, inner north yuppies always equate southside with Tuggeranong, and conveniently forget about Belconnen and Gungahlin. Inner south suburbs are much like inner north, without the traffic congestion or smackies.

kittycat kittycat 8:53 pm 22 Aug 08

Lets face it. Canberra is full of bogans ( knocking off work in flouro vests )…who cares what side of town you live on??. Though, i am loyal to the inner north (not that it was, when i was growing up in Downer!!) I cant believe that this stupid debate , “over the bridge” like Sydney has become a Canberra thing. Manuka & Kingston are boring & over rated. Dickson is where all the action is!!

rosebud rosebud 8:16 pm 22 Aug 08

10 things that, are, well, OK I suppose if you really push me, about the southside.

Closer to the snow.
Ummmmmmm.
Not Queanbeyan.

Help?

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.