Community

Quality childcare in a
welcoming & supportive environment

North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…

By rosebud 22 August 2008 93

Top 10 things I like about the Northside:

— Walking up to Mt Ainslie from behind the War Memorial, particularly when the Balloons are up and there is snow on the mountains
— Dickson pool in summer
— Lonsdale St trendy shops
— Corroboree Park trees
— The Dendy
— Bollywood Marsala Indian takeaway at Dickson
— The AIS learn to swim program (I love the idea of kids learning to swim at an elite athlete college!)
— Cycling to work in 10 minutes…downhill!
— Gorman House
— Not living in Weston Creek!

What’s Your opinion?

93 Responses to
North-South Divide, or 10 things I like about…
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
rosebud 2:28 pm 28 Aug 08

Ahhh, the sweet smell of success! Hear that thread people? SUCCESS!

Overheard 2:23 pm 28 Aug 08

Actually, I’ve just gone back to your original post and must admit (as a Downer lad for about 20/42ths of my existence plus a sprinkling of Braddon and Campbell as well) I’ve got to agree with most of your list!

rosebud 2:22 pm 28 Aug 08

Overheard said :

rosebud said :

Overheard said :

I think I’m going to start a 25 degrees south-south-west vs 15 degrees north-north-east divide and see how many red-veined proponents it can attract.

I like that! It’s crazy, but it could work, given the right anal participants!

You just reminded me that there exists such a group of potential participants: http://confluence.org/

Strange lot. I have a cousin who is or was into it. Made for an interesting family outing, I suppose. I personally can think of other ways to pass the time that push my buttons more, but who am I to judge? (He asks, careful not to inadvertently quote any random examples.)

Scarily anal!

Overheard 2:19 pm 28 Aug 08

rosebud said :

Overheard said :

I like that! It’s crazy, but it could work, given the right anal participants!

rosebud 2:08 pm 28 Aug 08

Overheard said :

I like that! It’s crazy, but it could work, given the right anal participants!

Overheard 1:51 pm 28 Aug 08

Thumper said :

I think the time is ripe for a good ole civil war!

Actually, the Olé Civil War was the Spanish Civil War, wasn’t it?

Overheard 1:48 pm 28 Aug 08

Thumper said :

I think the time is ripe for a good ole civil war!

Or we could have an Electorate War (aka Uncivil War) and have three warring divisions of the city. That would farnarkle up the north/south debate.

I’ve moved so often that, gun to my head, I wasn’t sure which electorate I’m currently in. Had to go and look it up.

Danman 1:43 pm 28 Aug 08

Like where you live – for you rown reasons – as someone elses opinion will always differ.

Thumper 12:56 pm 28 Aug 08

I think the time is ripe for a good ole civil war!

jakez 12:45 pm 28 Aug 08

johnboy said :

Your friend sounds like a fascist.

Sometimes I think the same thing about you johnboy.

Thumper 12:40 pm 28 Aug 08

You, being, of course, south siders 😉

Overheard 12:39 pm 28 Aug 08

Oh FFS, we’re not even 350,000 people. We may be geographically sprawled, but we’re hardly big enough to get all bent out of shape about this north/south cr#p. I was born here and have lived 91.35% of my life here and I’ve never understood why the debate thrives. I’ve lived all over and the only reason I prefer my current inner north haunt is that it’s cheap, it’s central and I get to walk to work.

Thumper 12:39 pm 28 Aug 08

Being a northsider, I really like the fact that you have the rivers nearby, plus the fabulous mountain views, and a quite cute little lake.

justbands 12:31 pm 28 Aug 08

Yes Thumper, that was my point.

Thumper 12:31 pm 28 Aug 08

I dunno about that. I’ve been to PJs Tuggeranong.

Maybe Tuggers has a higher (or lower?) class of bogan.

Thumper 12:29 pm 28 Aug 08

Dunlop is really able to cycle to Civic in 10 minutes

Ah, no.

It takes longer than that to drive, even if you get green lights the whole way, there is no traffic, no speed cameras and you can pull straight into a park right outside where you want to go.

And no, I don’t live in Dunlop. It’s a barren hole which time and government forgot.

justbands 12:25 pm 28 Aug 08

Half of the things in the original post were advantages of living in *inner* Canberra, not *North* Canberra. I’m not sure someone living in Dunlup is really able to cycle to Civic in 10 minutes, or walk to Dendy, etc. By the same token, someone living in say Yarralumba (southside) has very easy access to these things.

fnaah 12:21 pm 28 Aug 08

Someone brought this up in another thread, and to my mind, it’s the trump card:

Southside is better because of Summernats not being there.

The sheer concentration of pure bogan (not to mention fooly shickness) at that event is enough to ensure that the average level of bogan is most definitely higher on the north side.

Plus, the southside has a golf driving range with automagical tee-up. Thwock! bzzzzz, clunk. Thwock!

johnboy 11:17 am 28 Aug 08

Your friend sounds like a fascist.

rosebud 11:09 am 28 Aug 08

I shared this discussion thread with a friend who is currently living in a mining town in rural Turkey, and she was shocked and appalled. But I just think she is jealous because she doesn’t live on the Northside, or even in Canberra (poor thing). And if she did live in Canberra, she’d probably want to live in Red Hill or somewhere equally unjustly thought of as swanky. Here is an excerpt of her email:

“TOOOOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!!

Who has time to participate in an online debate over who lives in the better suburb?

Have you thought about vegetable gardening?

All ready done it?

Raising money for starving kids in PNG? I know a good women’s and children’s shelter who would love your help.

Enjoy.”