NSW speeding fine as ACT driver

Rollersk8r 1 February 2013 30

Ok – mostly rant – but part prayer for a free solution:

During the Christmas holidays I got a speeding fine in Sydney – 70kmh in a 60kmh zone – outside of the double demerits period. A quick search of the NSW RTA website indicates the fine will be waived if it’s a low range offence (less than 30kmh over) and you have a clean driving record in the last 10 years.  I have had ONE minor speeding fine, 15 years ago, in 20 years of driving – so I filled out the online form and thought that would be the end of it (but knowing my luck, probably not).

So sure enough, another week later, I get an email from the NSW RTA saying sure, you can get out of the fine, just send us an official copy of your clean driving record.  So I go into the motor registry – sure you can have a copy of your driving record – that will be $21.40.  WHAT!?

Seriously WTF?  The NSW system clearly has all my details, just not my history? Databases still don’t talk to each other in 2013? At the very least the NSW RTA can’t just call the ACT Registry? Would be a hell of a lot quicker, rather than sending me to do it, waiting, then reprocessing the whole thing when I get back to them?? And don’t even get me started on lining up for hours to pay someone $20 to press ‘print’.

So I didn’t pay the ACT motor registry’s $21.40 “document fee” – but it looks like I have no choice – to get out of a $105 fine.

My human rights are being violated here Corbell!  I’ll take this to the highest court in the land!  It strikes at the very heart of…. family values or something!

I’ve already wasted more than $21.40 worth of my life just now!

I know, I know, I’m a criminal and need to shut up and just pay the ACT fine to get out of the NSW fine.

30 Responses to NSW speeding fine as ACT driver
wrigbe 10:12 pm 01 Feb 13

Ok well I just had to spend my afternoon with 2 cranky kids in the car, run out to Fyshwick and pay the ACT Govt $40 because the Aust Passport office couldn’t quite decide if a single letter on my son’s birth certificate was an ‘L’ or an ‘i’. There was a slight smudge on the print probably from when it was sent out folded in the post to me back in 2006 ( I have had it stored flat in an acid free album so I know it wasn’t my fault).
The letter was in my second name. Every other detail was matched perfectly.
So don’t complain about databases not talking to each other. And having to pay for something that is not your fault! Oh wait ….
I’m with them – Suck it up princess
Now I feel mean. I’ve had a bad day.

KB1971 8:33 pm 01 Feb 13

There is a national database, its called NEVDIS but it only gives basic details interstate like your name & if your licence is current. This is why NSW are asking you to get the details.

The $21.50 is an admin fee, the ACT RTA have never, & I repeat, never have given this information out for free. It actually takes quite a while to find some of this information so that is why they charge.

54-11 8:19 pm 01 Feb 13

Rollersk8r said :

p996911turbo said :

I got a fine for the lowest speeding category (under 15km/h over the speed limit) in South Australia. It was over $300. For the lowest category speeding fine.

Suck it up, princess. $21.50 is a lot better than over $300.

Ha! It took all of 4 comments before I got a “suck it up princess”! I was expecting that as post 1!

Agreed. What is it with all these RA whackers that keep saying this? What a puerile comment “suck it up…” is. Shows an intellectual vacuum between the ears. Find something new that actually makes sense, and that hasn’t been said so many times before.

c_c™ 7:51 pm 01 Feb 13

Suck it up princess.

DrKoresh 7:47 pm 01 Feb 13

I do love that it somehow costs $20 when it’s not in their interests, yet they are perfectly happy to do it for free of their own initiative when they want to catch you out in a lie.

G.R.R 7:36 pm 01 Feb 13

You can’t afford $21.40?
Are you the homeless guy outside Civic Maccas?! I just gave you $10 about 20 minutes earlier!

Rollersk8r 7:09 pm 01 Feb 13

JC said :

So what price do you reckon you should pay to access your record? Now don’t say nothing, because frankly the $300 or so that we pay for car rego doesn’t go very far and it does cost to have the people in the Canberra connect offices..

Nothing!! Why is the ACT motor registry any different to the dozens of other services I pay for? If you think of it in terms of accessing your account information and usage history I can do this as much as I like for banking, ISP, phones, Medicare, ACT library (And that’s free! Hello!), ACTION (hello again!), E-tag, health insurance, newspaper subscription, etc, etc. Everyone else realises zero customer interaction saves them money…

And hey – I’d happily pay a lot more than $21.40 to never visit an ACT motor registry again!

OLydia 7:01 pm 01 Feb 13

Years ago (more than 15) I sold a vehicle in NSW but we forgot to update the change of rego for a couple of weeks. In the course of about 3 months, the new owners racked up about 20 parking tickets (no on-the-spot fines then). Even though the rego details had been updated, NSW still sent the tickets to us. The back of the parking infringement notice stated if you weren’t the registered owner at the time of the infringement “please sign here,witnessed by a JP”. We duly did this for all the infringement notices we received. The infringements that occurred after the rego change over were waived, however we still had to fork out for the 4 or 5 that were issued before then. Obviously the databases DO talk to each other when pushed.

Dante 6:43 pm 01 Feb 13

Databases don’t talk to each other across state/territory borders due to privacy regulations.

I’m glad they don’t talk, as I’m not a citizen of NSW and would prefer for them to not have rampant access to my details for no reason.

For them to talk and share like that the Feds step in and arrange it (i.e. Crime Commission). Road services aren’t really a big enough issue to the Feds to consider giving it a statutory authority.

BenMac 5:58 pm 01 Feb 13

It might be quicker for both RTA’s to talk to each other, but why should they?

You want the fine reduced, you do the leg work.

JC 5:51 pm 01 Feb 13

Rollersk8r 5:16 pm 01 Feb 13

p996911turbo said :

Suck it up, princess. $21.50 is a lot better than over $300.

Rollersk8r 5:14 pm 01 Feb 13

Ahem – minor edit – nowhere does it officially say the fine will be waived, though I still expect my chances are better than 50/50. Of course, worst possible outcome is I pay the $21.40 for my record and have to pay the fine regardless…

arescarti42 5:07 pm 01 Feb 13

A very similar thing happened to me but in reverse, the NSW RTA also has ~$20 fee for retrieving driving record.

p996911turbo 5:02 pm 01 Feb 13

p996911turbo said :

Suck it up, princess. $21.50 is a lot better than over $300.

Sorry I should clarify. It was 12km/h over the limit. That’s the lowest category in the ACT, but not in SA. Their cut-off is 10km/h.

p996911turbo 4:59 pm 01 Feb 13

Suck it up, princess. $21.50 is a lot better than over $300.

aidan 4:46 pm 01 Feb 13

A few years back I got pinged doing 55 in a 40 zone, on the first day of the school term when none of the kids were in the school because it was a pupil-free day. I know this because they were at the park where my kids were playing. I didn’t see the first 40 sign, then noticed the school, slowed down but too late. The rellies car following behind didn’t get a fine and didn’t see the first sign either.

A couple of weeks before they had decided to double the demerit points and fines for speeding fines in school zones. Fair enough too. Because of this I also couldn’t apply for the clean-record waiver.

I paid up and didn’t post to RA … until now.

PantsMan 4:39 pm 01 Feb 13

Idea 1: FOI your driving records, and then claim the personal information exemption to charges.

Idea 2: Apply for a waiver of the fee under section 131 of the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1996.

zorro29 4:31 pm 01 Feb 13

wow…i didn’t know that. we might as well get out of everything…what a farce. less than 30km/hr over is considered “low range”…? wow.

$21.40 is a bit steep (but you still should be counting yourself lucky to get out of a fine)…but to reduce the work we should be able to get it online, that sounds more efficient all around

out of interest, do they record that you were given a “hall pass” on this? otherwise who’d ever get a fine?

goggles13 4:16 pm 01 Feb 13

why would you expect NSW and ACT databases to talk to each other? each state and territory has different road rules and some even have stopped issuing rego stickers.

pay the $21.40 and be done with it (it does actually cost money to pay someone to interrogate a database and print your record), or live with the demerit points and a dirty driving record.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.