[First filed: March 24, 2009 @ 09:56]
This is the tenth part of a series of photographs taken by RiotACT reader Old Canberran on his Kodak Box Brownie from 1948.
This one came in with the following note:
- Here’s a couple of photos of Torrens Street, Braddon. One is looking North from Eloura Street which was taken in 1948 and the other is looking South from about the same place a few years later. In the full sized version you can just make out the old Parliament House in the distance.
The other one looking North, shows how each house had a front hedge in those days and the Parks and Gardens people used to water and mow the nature strips and keep the gutters swept and clean from debris. They also pruned the Canadian Pin Oaks when needed. The trees made this street one of the prettiest in Canberra in those days with the various colours of the leaves in Autumn. Torrens Street had a mix of Government and Privately built homes and the East side of the street nearest to Civic bordered Northbourne Oval.
Fast forward to now, here’s the google maps view looking North:
And here’s the current view south: