On vigilantism

johnboy 20 September 2010 24

There’s been a fair bit of chat about the white van driving Tuggeranong man who caught, assaulted, and robbed a 14 year old boy who’d been throwing eggs at cars on Erindale Drive.

So now we’re adding a poll on it to see where community attitudes lie.

Should masks be mandatory in the ACT as a preventive measure?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

24 Responses to On vigilantism
p1 p1 11:58 am 21 Sep 10

Woody Mann-Caruso said :

So if I was to yell a a 14 year old (who had been throwing eggs at my car) very loudly, mentioning that they are very impolite…I would be assaulting them?

I thought we were talking about a guy who chased a kid, beat him up and stole his stuff. My mistake.

No, VG questioned BimboGeek’s understanding of the law and I asked for clarification.

The overall thread is about a guy who chased a kid, beat him up and stole his stuff. So yes, your mistake.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 11:26 am 21 Sep 10

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:26 am 21 Sep 10

Pommy bastard said :

What does one wrong + one right equal Jim? 😉

You don’t seriously think that stealing money and a mobile phone is ‘right’?

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 11:24 am 21 Sep 10

JessP said :

Legend. Hopefully the kid will think before he next decides to egg cars (and wont do it).

Yes, I join you in applauding people who rob and assault children.

True pillars of society, if only more people behaved in such a manner the streets would be so much safer, oh wait…

JessP JessP 11:16 am 21 Sep 10

Special G Special G 9:11 pm 20 Sep 10

Mind you if you have reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has occured and are in the process of arresting the person as a civilian. Reasonable force is appropriate.

BimboGeek BimboGeek 7:23 pm 20 Sep 10

I can’t imagine the police or any magistrate considering yelling over traffic and with reasonable anger/frustration to be a show of force sufficient to constitute assault. Any fear the youth might be experiencing would be from the situation (I’ve been busted doing something wrong).

p1 p1 4:16 pm 20 Sep 10

vg said :

BimboGeek said :

It’s only assault if you’re genuinely acting in a way that says physical violence is next. “Showing force” is the legalese. A thorough dressing down with no threat of violence is not assault even if the subject of your wrath says “I’m frightened.”

Threatening violence is rightly illegal in the same way that rape, kidnapping, coercion, intimidation, etc. are all considered to have taken place whether the victim was physically forced or simply frightened with an overt or implied threat.

You’re new to the law, aren’t you. Assault is not just about your intent, its about a fear or apprehension that is raised in the ‘victim’.

You don’t know what you’re talking about

So if I was to yell a a 14 year old (who had been throwing eggs at my car) very loudly, mentioning that they are very impolite, that they shouldn’t be doing that, that I would like to know their name so I can tell the police, etc, and they were to become fearful and apprehensive, I would be assaulting them? Even if everything I was yelling was true, at yelling in itself was necessary due to being next to a major road while the intended target was running away?

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 3:29 pm 20 Sep 10

What does one wrong + one right equal Jim? 😉

Jim Jones Jim Jones 2:25 pm 20 Sep 10

Silly me … apparently two wrongs do make a right.

vg vg 1:57 pm 20 Sep 10

BimboGeek said :

You don’t know what you’re talking about

BimboGeek BimboGeek 12:52 pm 20 Sep 10

la mente torbida la mente torbida 12:17 pm 20 Sep 10

Assault…big net being cast here…what level of assault? Yelling loudly at a youth could be considered assault.

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 11:54 am 20 Sep 10

hoax 2 kid’s claim/report

this poll *seems* legit 😛

Buzz2600 Buzz2600 11:41 am 20 Sep 10

It’s called Karma kids…..

BimboGeek BimboGeek 11:28 am 20 Sep 10

Are you talking about policing or rehabilitation?

Citizens should defend their communities but we shouldn’t deal out arbitrary punishments.

Of course everyone’s just having a laugh so I voted “Kill him! Bite off his head!”

braddonboy braddonboy 11:21 am 20 Sep 10

I bet they don’t do it again.

p1 p1 10:59 am 20 Sep 10

I think that Should be discouraged unless someone is committing an crime against me. Then I shall extract swift and brutal retribution.

Grail Grail 10:05 am 20 Sep 10

Hoax? Are you talking about the car-egging, the kid claiming he was mugged by someone, or the poll?

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 9:54 am 20 Sep 10