12 February 2018

Our Tuggies get a stonking win over the Monaro Panthers!

| johnboy
Join the conversation

This in from Capital Football:

Belconnen United claimed the loop Premier League championship for the first time since 1998 with two rounds to spare building an insurmountable lead at the top of the table with a 5-0 hammering of Canberra City at McKellar Park on Saturday afternoon. The Blue Devils entered the match knowing a win would guarantee them the crown and any nerves were dispelled early on as leading scorer Dustin Wells gave the hosts a third minute lead.

Wells was in inspired form in front of goal and had claimed a hat-trick by the half-time whistle, much to the delight of the home supporters, as Belconnen made sure they would be celebrating come the end of ninety minutes. Any slim hopes of a City comeback were extinguished two minutes into the second half when David Kemp netted his eighth goal of the season and Misko Naumoski was able to put the icing on the cake sixteen minutes from time to round off a superb afternoon for the new League Champions.

At the Riverside Stadium a five-star display from centre-forward Mark Shields helped Tuggeranong United to a 6-2 victory over Monaro Panthers. The Tuggeranong hit man scored five times to move on to twenty goals for the season continuing a superb season for the amiable forward. It was his former club the Panthers that felt the full force of Shields who took advantage of some excellent approach work by his team mates to strike twice early on. Tim Anderson added the third before Tony Haider got the Panthers on the score board. It was all Shields after the break as he completed a hat-trick from the spot before adding two more to round out the win. Elia Salloum got a late consolation for the home team.

Stephen Domenici was also amongst the goals as Cooma Tigers romped to a 7-2 win over Woden Valley at Woden Park. Domenici scored three times to take his own goals total to 21 and a share of the Golden Boot lead with Wells as the Tigers ruthlessly exposed a depleted Woden. Stephen Lee had given the home team the lead before Cooma took control via a Domenici double and a third from Alex Castro. Peter Marlette’s 15th goal of the year gave Woden hope heading into the break but after Domenici completed his hat-trick it was all one-way traffic. Alex Oloriegbe bagged a late brace and Robbie Cattanach also netted in a comprehensive win.

At Deakin Stadium a goal from Travis Dries earned Canberra Olympic a point from a 1-1 draw with Canberra FC. The former champions had gone ahead in the first half when Matt Grbesa converted a low Lukas Cole cross but Dries ensured Olympic would stay third when he robbed Ivan Pavlak, advanced towards goal, and unleashed a fierce drive across Ben Klug in the home goal. A draw was probably a fair result although both teams had chances to win it.


Join the conversation

All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments

Great result Tuggies, I knew it was coming. Thanks for keeping the faith RiotACT. Bring on Woden at Kambah this Saturday.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.