Oxygen thief or future Canberra Art Prize winner?

Pork Hunt 16 July 2012 55
roadkill art

Saw this at the ANU. I hope the tax payer is not footing the bill for this degree…

[Got an image of Canberra you want to share with the world? Email it in to images@the-riotact.com .]

blurb

55 Responses to Oxygen thief or future Canberra Art Prize winner?
Jindy Jindy 1:19 pm 18 Jul 12

Spiral said :

threepaws said :

When I saw that, I thought to myself “there should be some kind of a law against that” – and what do you know – there is.

No there isn’t. Artists are above the law.

That seemed to be the idea that most artists and much of the population had about that artist who was using under age nude models a few years ago (in Melbourne iirc)

Artists are not above the law.

Just a couple of years ago some enterprising guys thought of a similar thing to this, they would find a roadkill and shovel it onto a tshirt placed on the side of the road and spray the shirt with paint. After drying and washing the tshirt would be sold with the silhouette of roadkill on it. The gov had them shut down under pain of prosecution for breaking the law already quoted in this thread.

HenryBG HenryBG 10:17 pm 17 Jul 12

rosscoact said :

Of course the other definition of modern art is what you can get away with 🙂

davo101 said :

rosscoact said :

– Art should have a high level of technical skill

Guessing you haven’t attended a contemporary art gallery in the last 30 years?

Oh look a pile of sticks, some coloured fluros, a glow in the dark light, and a pile of bricks. Wow that last one must of really taxed the artist’s technical skills.

So that’s a fail for David Eastman, then?

rosscoact rosscoact 7:56 pm 17 Jul 12

Of course the other definition of modern art is what you can get away with 🙂

davo101 said :

rosscoact said :

– Art should have a high level of technical skill

Guessing you haven’t attended a contemporary art gallery in the last 30 years?

I-filed I-filed 7:51 pm 17 Jul 12

I had visualised a Goth – but apparently this gal drums in a “surf rockabilly band”!

davo101 davo101 5:53 pm 17 Jul 12

rosscoact said :

– Art should have a high level of technical skill

Guessing you haven’t attended a contemporary art gallery in the last 30 years?

Pork Hunt Pork Hunt 5:06 pm 17 Jul 12

AsparagusSyndrome said :

rosscoact said :

It’s my understanding that most PHD’s are Commonwealth sponsored so yes, about 7 cents a year of the tax you pay is going to this person.

Does that 7 cents bother you at all? Just wondering.

There are over 11 million employees in Australia. Even if they don’t ALL pay up the full 7 cents (looking at YOU media and casino tycoons), he’s surely still on a winner.

But if you care to restrict the collection of your 7 cent art student levy to each of the 154,100 full-time hard-working and tax-liable employees in the ACT (as at June 2012), well that’s a more modest remuneration to end up with what is, surely, a magnificent tableau of dead birdage, a built in wire grill, some useful tinder to get the cooking started and some logs to sit about on, singing campfire songs. Say… I’m already hungry just thinking about it. Might wander on down to the campus and fix me up a little hobo hoe-down.

(And to think, when I were a wee laddie, 7 cents was the price of a sausage roll. The sauce was free.)

For the record, the birds are a Kookaburra, Magpie and a Currawong. Let us know the results of your taste test lol…

boz boz 3:50 pm 17 Jul 12

Prize winner: http://www.naa.gov.au/visit-us/exhibitions/waterhouse-2011/avian-spectre.aspx

First place painting in Sth Australia Museum’s Waterhouse Prize 2011

rosscoact rosscoact 12:29 pm 17 Jul 12

Jethro said :

It’s stimulated conversation. Isn’t that what art is supposed to do?

(BTW – I think it’s godawful).

According to television
– Art should be original – check
– Art should cause or evoke emotion – check
– Art should have a high level of technical skill – hmmm, undecided

Two out of three ain’t bad

HenryBG HenryBG 11:11 am 17 Jul 12

Jethro said :

It’s stimulated conversation. Isn’t that what art is supposed to do?

(BTW – I think it’s godawful).

I lot of things stimulate conversation. Try almost any workplace on a Monday morning and listen to all the conversations about football scores. That’s not Art either.

Aaroncbr Aaroncbr 10:27 am 17 Jul 12

Surely there are better things to be spending your time on?

Jethro Jethro 8:33 am 17 Jul 12

It’s stimulated conversation. Isn’t that what art is supposed to do?

(BTW – I think it’s godawful).

rosscoact rosscoact 8:29 am 17 Jul 12

oh dear Iphone calculator mixed with forgetting my glasses strikes again. You’re right, it’s actually about 0.2 cents per taxpayer (assuming the tycoons pay) for a Phd.

AsparagusSyndrome said :

rosscoact said :

Does that 7 cents bother you at all? Just wondering.

milkman milkman 8:03 am 17 Jul 12

bikhet said :

rosscoact said :

Does that 7 cents bother you at all? Just wondering.

In this case, yes. Their research supervisor would also loose their funding if I had any say in the matter.

In wonder how many hospital beds or school resources that 7 cents would buy…

AsparagusSyndrome AsparagusSyndrome 11:12 pm 16 Jul 12

rosscoact said :

Does that 7 cents bother you at all? Just wondering.

Sandman Sandman 8:29 pm 16 Jul 12

What’s worse, the student that created the artwork or the person that photographed it to complain about it?

I’m going with the poster after yours who wasn’t happy until he’d found a law against it.

wildturkeycanoe wildturkeycanoe 8:11 pm 16 Jul 12

“This installation is a PhD research art project about the representation of animals in painting.”
Well, they have failed their PhD already, because it involves no paint whatsoever.
The wire mesh will do nothing to prevent ants, worms and insects from devouring their bodies either.
If anyone wants to see impressions of dead animals, the dinosaur museum is a good place to start in preference to this kind of rubbish.

gooterz gooterz 7:30 pm 16 Jul 12

ART:

Trying to do something brilliant and screwing it up majorly, what you end up with is ‘Art’.

hk0reduck hk0reduck 6:38 pm 16 Jul 12

Here’s the creators blog.

c_c c_c 6:37 pm 16 Jul 12

PHDs are funded, very handsomely I believe hence the supposedly strict application and selection process.

The purpose of a PHD is to demonstrably and significantly further knowledge in some specific area.

I don’t really understand how this does that, and it’s quite morbid too.

I-filed I-filed 6:37 pm 16 Jul 12

Don’t laugh too hard, folks: the collection of the Art Gallery of Ontario includes Mary Kelly’s 1970s “fecal stains” “artwork” – featuring actual poo stains by her baby.

Region Group Pty Ltd