Parking in Braddon – something needs to be done

Alexandra Craig 19 April 2016 57
parking-sign-stock

Braddon is one of the fastest growing town centres in Canberra and while this is not going to be another article advocating for an IGA (however a recent survey found that around 80% of respondents are in favour of a supermarket in Braddon, just saying), this is an article advocating for greater parking availability.

Parking in Braddon is scarce – it’s on the verge of being non-existent. I am lucky enough that I live within easy walking distance to Lonsdale Street, and even luckier that my house has allocated parking so I don’t have to worry about parking on the street. However if I’m meeting up with non-Braddon residents for lunch, nine times out of ten they will be late because they’re not able to find a parking spot. Unless you’re one of the super lucky ones to nab a park in the small parking lot of about 20 spots (Haig Park, next to the big yellow Mandalay Bus), you’ll be fighting for a street park on Lonsdale or Mort Street – dizzy from doing laps around the block.

While friends being late for lunch and driving around in circles is frustrating for all parties, it is obviously not the most hugely inconvenient situation we’ll face in life and we can deal with it. So what about the businesses that are impacted? How does this affect them?

Adam Ciaccia from Axis Hairdressing took to Twitter in late August to express his frustration at the lack of parking. On average, four Axis clients per week are forced to cancel their appointments at the last minute because they’re unable to find a parking spot. Four customers per week, at an average cost of $250 per person is $1000 per week in sales lost by Axis. In one year, this will cost Axis – a local small business – around $48,000. This is a huge cut from their sales. Based on the minimum award rate, a loss of $48,000 each year is the cost of wages for a couple of junior apprentice hairdressers on the Axis staff. Before I lived within walking distance, I used to arrive about 30 minutes prior to my appointment with Axis because I was so worried about not being able to find a car spot. On multiple occasions I only just found a parking spot in time. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to drive around for 30 minutes looking for a parking spot like I had.

What can be done to increase parking in an already established town centre? Build on what you’ve got. I would be in strong favour of the parking lot next to the Mandalay Bus being extended to take up some of the largely unused Haig Park, however I suspect some may not like the idea of taking any amount of greenery away and replacing it with concrete. Perhaps we build up instead? Use a similar perimeter to the current parking lot and build a multi-storey parking lot. It might only fit about 50-100 extra parking spots due to height restrictions that might be in place but it would definitely make a noticeable difference for visitors.

With a new business opening up every few months, it can be guaranteed that Braddon is not slowing down. It’s thriving with every new day and parking should be a priority.

57 Responses to Parking in Braddon – something needs to be done
Mess Mess 3:40 pm 09 Sep 14

I agree with the author here. Many people head to Braddon for a night out at places like Debacle, Bentspoke, Hopscotch or many of the numerous great places to eat and drink in Braddon. I would also wager that the majority of people who frequent these places, especially over the weekend, don’t live in or around the CBD so walking is not an option.

Yes you can always park in the city, but for those people that are less mobile it’s not really an option. I know that when we have family dinners in Braddon or the city I usually drop my Mum off (who is less mobile these days) out the front of the restaurant and then go and find a park because chances of getting a park close to where I need to go are slim.

Something like the medical centre carpark in Manuka would be a good solution and help ease parking congestion.

astrojax astrojax 3:58 pm 09 Sep 14

$250 for a hair cut on average??? if they can afford that, they should get a taxi to their appointment – and if next can fit them in sometime else, which is what i’d assume would happen, then i don’t buy the figures for business lost.

what about his brother’s salon? axis is far less well served by parking but gianni doesn’t take to twitter to whinge. cup of concrete, adam…

Alexandra Craig Alexandra Craig 3:59 pm 09 Sep 14

dkNigs said :

Alexandra Craig said :

I’ll repeat myself once again – this is NOT about me. I walk everywhere in Braddon. I don’t need parking. This is about the small business affected.

The small businesses that are full, and eateries you need to book a table at? They seem to be doing fine. Seems to be about your one hairdresser who’s complaining got exactly what he wanted, restricted and enforced parking at his building. There were 8 1hr paid parking spots behind axis free at Mode 3 around 1:30pm today.

Alexandra Craig said :

Re the supermarket – because I like to support independent business, I do a decent shop whenever I visit one. If you want independent grocery stores to exist, you need to buy more than a litre of milk or a loaf of bread once a week there. A decent shop is about 4 or 5 bags worth in my opinion. Unless you’re a body builder – I highly doubt you’d be happy to walk 2 kilometres (I live near Lonsdale Street, not on it) from the IGA in the bus interchange with that many bags on your arms.

What’s wrong with supabarn? Most likely closer to you with a bigger range, and being a Canberra business, seems independent to me.

Alexandra Craig said :

The survey was done by Canberra City Residents. I am not affiliated with this group, nor was I one of the people surveyed. Here’s a link to a news story regarding the survey’s findings: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/braddon-backs-local-grocery-in-lonsdale-street-vicinity-20140904-10c8w1.html

Still an indication of how lazy people are. Isn’t there already a small IGA in braddon? On Henty Street? Or is the fact it isn’t on Lonsdale Street not good enough? Lonsdale St already has three service station convenience stores, with another just around the corner. Put an IGA here and I’ll do with it exactly what I do with the convenience stores, walk past and go to Superbarn as it’s a larger store and the prices and range will be better. Lonsdale St retail space is too valuable for a supermarket, and given there is an IGA in the interchange, why would they want to put another two blocks up the road?

No, the little store on Henty Street is the same sort of thing as a service station and the produce isn’t always fresh or of good quality. If it was better, I’d go there. I live closer to Henty Street than I do Lonsdale Street, much closer.

Re the ‘one hairdresser’ comment. It’s not. I spoke to several businesses that all expressed the exact same concerns as Axis did. Deadline had passed though so I couldn’t include their comments in my story.

Ghettosmurf87 Ghettosmurf87 4:00 pm 09 Sep 14

Mess said :

But how is this any different to any other CBD in a capital city? When you start to get lots of development going on in a CBD, the accessibilty via personal transport (i.e. a car) is always going to be reduced. That’s just the nature of urban densification and city living. You simply have to get off at a hub and use those little legs of yours. Or find alternative solutions. Such as your method of dropping your mother off closer to the venue prior to parking. Or perhaps getting a cab to the front door. Or getting a bus from the city to Braddon if you desperately need to and can’t walk the distance required.

Or we could go back to the Braddon of 5 years ago, which didn’t have anywhere near as many great venues, but was soooo much easier to park in…

Alexandra Craig Alexandra Craig 4:01 pm 09 Sep 14

dkNigs said :

Actually when you get right down to it, with you being worried about local business AND parking. Why in hell would you want a supermarket on Lonsdale St? It would struggle to draw in business as there wouldn’t be enough parking, and shoppers would take up all the available parking in Braddon. Seems lose lose to me.

I think people that live in the area would walk there. I certainly would.

dkNigs dkNigs 4:08 pm 09 Sep 14

Alexandra Craig said :

Sorry, but what do you expect out of a supermarket in Lonsdale Street, two blocks from the city where there is already a large superbarn, aldi, and a medium IGA? It will be a small IGA, like the small suburban shops you don’t seem to think are good enough. It would never be a full blown supermarket.

Think City Spar (ex-IGA city west). Will you buy five bags of groceries from that type of supermarket?

Alexandra Craig said :

Have you re-assessed the situation since parking has gone to govt and been enforced at Mode 3? Nobody seems to want to pay $3 for an hour maximum of parking, so there seems to be plenty of spaces free since the govt fined all the all-dayers away.

pink little birdie said :

I can’t wait for hopscotch to stop being the hipster bar. (Apperently ex Sydney people.like it because of the beer garden?) I want my parking back in front of civic pub (at 5 on Sundays) the only park available was a disabled spot.
On the bright side if Monday parking comes back there will be an endless supply of terrible hipster parking not in actual car parks.

Pretty sure there is a hip new Japanese restaurant opening next door, soon you’ll get street parking back next door to civic pub, along with a whole heap more street level retail in the new building.

Kalliste Kalliste 4:11 pm 09 Sep 14

Ghettosmurf87 said :

Mess said :

Agreed. Last week I was up in Sydney and our hotel was on York St.. there was no street parking anywhere, it was all pick up/drop off or taxi zone.

Also, the the little shop on Lowanna st is a bit more than a servo. If you’re looking to support some local businesses maybe it would be a good idea to shop there. While you may need to check the used by on a few things they definitely have more variety than a servo.

Personally, I’d go to Woolies in Dickson instead because of the pricing but if you’re concerned about local business then I can’t see any reason not to go there, plus there’s a bunch of free 2hr parking.

lor_hat lor_hat 5:01 pm 09 Sep 14

I’m a business owner in braddon, and I would have to agree with you and against you.. I would love to see a car park be built to cater for the growth of braddon. I do feel the new pay parking bays at the back of mode and underneath are helping as its keeping the cars moving. However I also feel mentality of some people is if there is no park right in front I won’t go. I have parked on Oxford Street 4G locks away from where I wanted to go and paid 20bucks parking. I walked along the shopping street quite happily why can’t people park in the city and walk literally one block that’s all it is one block. Also keep in mind the buildings being built in the street and mort street many parks are being taken by construction workers people be patient and the master plan of braddon looks bright.

lor_hat lor_hat 5:05 pm 09 Sep 14

dkNigs said :

Grrrr Grrrr 5:05 pm 09 Sep 14

The author believed the 700m each way from ~Debacle to Supabarn in Canberra Centre was too far to walk, so I guess there’s going to be people out there too lazy to find a car park as far away as the Canberra Centre when they want to shop elsewhere in Braddon.

Though, I must say I agree with the author on Haig Park. Not that it needs to be turned into a Car Park – but it is a terrible park. Yes, the current layout has important heritage value but it really doesn’t fit in anymore. The idea of it marking the North boundary of the city isn’t even quaint, it’s just old. It could be so much more amenable with different trees in a different layout, with some nice playgrounds, bbq, etc.

Alexandra Craig Alexandra Craig 5:12 pm 09 Sep 14

Grrrr said :

Context, please. Yes, too far to walk with a whole bunch of bags. Not too far to walk with one bag.

Haig Park desperately needs a revamp but I would probably feel a bit bad if the whole thing was bulldozed.

lor_hat lor_hat 5:20 pm 09 Sep 14

Postalgeek said :

davo101 said :

There are many many car parking spaces about 400m to the south of Axis. The existing car park in Haig park is about 300m to the north. Are you really that lazy?

Middle of the day and those car parks are full. It’s not about being lazy. If you read the article you’d see that I walk everywhere in Braddon so I’m not upset about parking for myself, I’m thinking of the local businesses involved.

Also, some people don’t have the physical capacity to walk that far, even if there were spots available. Some people are elderly, others might just have a really bad leg or back.

Then perhaps some existing spots should be turned into disabled parking spots and heavily policed.

If you think opening up a few hundred more parking spaces will do anything, your deluded. Those car parks will be used and taken up by others driving around looking for somewhere to park.

As to AXIS, they made a commercial decision to be located in that spot and now they can deal with the consequences. Employ a valet and charge $500 a haircut.

Hosinator said :

You live in Braddon and drive a car…you’re not hipster enough please leave.
On a serious note all city centres have difficulty with parking shortages.

Hosinator said :

You live in Braddon and drive a car…you’re not hipster enough please leave.
On a serious note all city centres have difficulty with parking shortages.

The solution is pretty simple, though, as it was with the IGA “dilemma”. And that is park at the Canberra Centre and spend the 5-10 minutes you would have spent looking for a park walking to your Braddon lunch appointment.

It’s all of 600m from the pedestrian crossing near Cream to Debacle on Lonsdale Street.

Seriously, you’d think with how smart and clever Gen Y keeps telling everyone they are that they might be able to find their own solution to these tough life decisions.

Yes, more convenient parking in Braddon would be handy, but if a public underground space was available we’d then be hearing complaints about how expensive it is.

Of more importance to Braddon is finding a way to stop the seemingly inevitable end to the current welcome amalgam of mixed businesses and architecture to four blocks of Mode 3 buildings and a couple of petrol stations.

Just wondering have you been to axis and paid 500 for a haircut??

carnardly carnardly 7:22 pm 09 Sep 14

I’m more blown away by the ‘and at an average visit of $250…’ who in God’s name gets hair services done to the value of $250 at a time – unless its say for a wedding party.

That’s what I spend on haircuts in a year… blimey Charlie.

So I had to google. a haircut is starting *FROM* $105 for a haircut with the big cheese. Seriously??? Is that what people charge (and other suckers pay) for a haircut these days? Then there’s another $80 to $90 or so for colouring up.

What is the difference between a $200 cut and colour (chokes on own lungs at the mere thought…) vs a suburban hairdresser at half that cost. Please someone who goes there, enlighten me…

pink little birdie pink little birdie 7:23 pm 09 Sep 14

lor_hat said :

Postalgeek said :

davo101 said :

Hosinator said :

You live in Braddon and drive a car…you’re not hipster enough please leave.
On a serious note all city centres have difficulty with parking shortages.

Hosinator said :

You live in Braddon and drive a car…you’re not hipster enough please leave.
On a serious note all city centres have difficulty with parking shortages.

Just wondering have you been to axis and paid 500 for a haircut??

I can pay up to $200 to have my hair done at places like EPIC. So a woman with long hair isn’t that unfeasible for a few hundred before colour. You could easily reach $500 to get your hair done in some places in Canberra.

moneypenny2612 moneypenny2612 7:51 pm 09 Sep 14

Ghettosmurf87 said :

P.s, WHO was it that you surveyed in regards to the Braddon IGA?

This is an excellent question.
I live in Braddon. The first I knew of the survey was reading about its results in the Crimes.
Did the City Residents Association restrict their survey to Lonsdale and Mort Streets only? Were they disguised as chuggers? Or was it 64 people responding to a poll in someone’s Facebook group?
I don’t own a car and I shop with 1 or 2 walking trips to Aldi or Supabarn or Big W each week, plus the Farmers Market (by bus) when I can be bothered.
Yes it might take a bit longer than a single trip, but there is no need to lug five bags around (no more than 3 bags usually). This is is easy for a 1km walk home.
Co-opt your grandma’s shopping trolley if you need to. They’re all the rage now.

Masquara Masquara 8:03 pm 09 Sep 14

lor_hat said :

Just wondering have you been to axis and paid 500 for a haircut??

I’m pretty sure she said $250 is the Axis standard in little old Braddon. In the US, in enclaves like Manhattan and Santa Monica, a top dollar haircut (other than the celebrity circuit) is around $160.

Alexandra Craig Alexandra Craig 9:14 pm 09 Sep 14

carnardly said :

I’m more blown away by the ‘and at an average visit of $250…’

That’s what I spend on haircuts in a year… blimey Charlie.

I go to Axis and my hair probably costs between $200-$250 each time. I also have very long hair. This isn’t any kind of shocking amount. I’ve paid more at other salons that have nowhere near the expertise level of Axis.

I’m happy to $250 to Adam at Axis and go in on time rather than have the salon run late like many other salons do, sit down and be offered a wine/juice/coffee, have a good chat with the cutter and the colourist before they get to work, rather than go in and be rushed and have no chat, no beverage etc.

It’s the whole experience you’re paying for. It’s worth every dollar in my opinion.

tuco tuco 9:44 pm 09 Sep 14

So the suggestion is to make Haig Park into Haig Car Park? Seriously? Let’s work out if those car park options (sans trees and a park) are X metres closer to Axis than the bazillion carparks in the city. Because that X is how much value we are putting on the greenspace.

Maya123 Maya123 11:05 pm 09 Sep 14

carnardly said :

I’m more blown away by the ‘and at an average visit of $250…’

That’s what I spend on haircuts in a year… blimey Charlie.

Wow, an expensive waste of money I can do without. I get a family member to cut my hair for nothing. I haven’t been to a hairdresser in over twenty years, and at those prices I’m not planning to change that soon. I prefer to spend my money on overseas holidays and investments.

adamciaccia adamciaccia 11:20 pm 09 Sep 14

I wasn’t going to involve myself in this, but it seems that I need to clarify some things, as a business owner I have to.

This post has gone from issues small businesses not just in Braddon but the wider areas of Canberra face with a lack of parking to what I charge in my business.

First things first, if you read what was in the first few comments, someone mentions that the solution to my problems is to put my prices up to $500 per haircut and offer a valet parking service. Well, valet would be good, we seriously considered it, it would be great if there was somewhere to park, unfortunately providing a service to parks someone’s car is a good idea, but you can’t lap Lonsdale St for an hour while someone attends an appointment, and yes I did make a commercial decision to move to Lonsdale St, the ACT Government sad they would support small business in the area, this is not the case at the moment, but wait the light rail will solve that right?

On the cost of pricing in my business, never have I ever seen anyone get charged $500 per appointment, and the average for a cut/colour/treatment is about $250.

To address the innuendo regarding Axis as a business and my pricing I say this, some people eat McDonalds and think its good food, others want to sit in a quality establishment, with highly dedicated trained staff, that provide customer service and a healthy quality meal, one is $6.95 the other $100 per head. There are pretty clear differences between the two.

Back to topic, the cost of a private space in the Mode 3 building is $500pm to rent or $40,000 to buy; yes that’s right 40 grand! Does that scream to you there is a parking problem?

A huge part of where people choose to shop, make their personal/professional appointments or go for a coffee/lunch is largely dependent on a significant element of convenience. In Braddon at the moment at times it’s far from it. However it has improved slightly and when the construction in the area settles down if will ease some more. Long term the government will need to provide a government built car park. Haige Park is disgusting, nothing but perverts and drug users/dealers hang out there and it makes sense for that space to be used for additional parking.

I also agree that some people are not prepared to walk extended distances, Canberra for a long time has been the Hollywood park capital right? The Canberra Centre is only 600m away, but it’s also someone’s right to drive a car, and to have a reasonable amount of accessibility while using it. We need balance, and its just not balanced.

Alex has raised some valid points here which I think needs to be the focus, several business on the Lonsdale St strip are struggling, some have been sold 2-3 times in the first 12 months. Today marked 1 year since we have moved in, and the complaints about parking are real, its not a joke, its costs us money, real money, it effects your bottom line as a business, in some cases inevitability it will cost people their financial lively hoods, jobs, put stress on families and relationships, small business is hard.

We have a local economy, which is far too reliant on Federal Government employment, and every time there is a cut in jobs small business do it hard. We don’t have endless bank accounts to pay our staff like government does, so at the moment when government employees are losing their jobs, which I might add must be bloody tough to go through and I genuinely sympathize with them, the money dries up in ACT, take away the element of convenience to visit and it compounds the problem. Small business collects the GST for the government to spend/waste on things they think we need. As I mentioned I’ve been in Braddon 12 months today, never have any member of the ACT government come to talk to me or any other business owner regarding our concerns; we need more parking in Braddon, Dickson, Manuka, and many other areas. These issues are real, and they are serious and I thank Alex for raising it in this forum, and I hope we can have some constructive debate about how to solve this and many other issues in the Braddon area.

Region Group Pty Ltd