News

1 May 2018: Daily flights Canberra
to Singapore and the world

Parking Voucher Machine Rant

By poptop - 9 April 2013 30

Parking pedantry

It seems to me that if the Government requires me to shell out an inconvenient amount for parking – like $9 – then they should:

– provide machines that work,
    – provide machines that accept notes,
    – provide machines that give change, and
    – if part of the instructions are in bold, italic and upper case, provide instructions that can be complied with.

While my phone camera doesn’t pick it up well, this machine and every similar one I can recall does NOT have a green button.

What’s Your opinion?

30 Responses to
Parking Voucher Machine Rant
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Katietonia 12:48 pm 10 Apr 13

There used to be a green button but it has worn off.

Sometime last year I went to pay for my parking and as I put in a few coins I noticed that the machine wasn’t registering the money going in. Tried to cancel and it wouldn’t come out. Needless to say I did not put the rest of the money in.

Had I had not just lost the first few dollars, I would have gone to another machine and paid but I had no other coins on me to make up the $6.50. I was told by Canberra Connect that I needed to go back to the faulty machine and enter the remaining money or else I could still get booked. They said that this was now the policy regarding faulty parking machines. It never occured to me to put the rest of the money into the machine and I wasn’t just trying to get free parking for the day.

Maybe they should write that ON THE MACHINE if that is their policy.

I asked to see a copy of the policy that states this and they said it was internal.

Masquara 11:59 am 10 Apr 13

wildturkeycanoe said :

No, I don’t work on call. This is the first time I’ve had to work in Civic with the new job and no I don’t happen to have $10 in change “just lying around”. That money got used up putting petrol in our car and due to the tough times at the moment there is the chance there won’t be any loose change for several weeks. Not everybody has money to burn like you. Fault – I can’t say it’s my fault I just got made redundant and had to take up a job that pays $10/week less than I earned in 2008!! This is just economic realities of the times we live in. If I was pointing the finger at anyone, it’s the government for calling an election. Ever since that announcement, everything has gone downhill…..

Really sorry to hear it and I hope you find decent and reliable work soon!

dtc 10:35 am 10 Apr 13

The private car park in New Acton allows for credit cards. Yes, it does take about 30 seconds to register and pay, which is longer than it takes for someone with a handful of $2 coins to push them through; but not longer than it takes someone with a bunch of 10c coins and trying to find change int the bottom of their handbag.

I know it costs to replace the machines, but there must be a considerable cost in transporting all the cash

thebrownstreak69 10:16 am 10 Apr 13

Canberracanuck said :

Gee, why NOT make parking as painful and difficult as possible? Why should anyone be encouraged to bring their personal automobile into the city at all? Leave it at home and take the bus or active transport. Welcome to the 21st century.

Well gee, what about those people who visit multiple customers on a day, who car pool with others, who drop off and pick up children, who go places other than home after work…

We’re not all grey-jumpered public servants you know.

mezza76 9:43 am 10 Apr 13

At the risk of sounding like I work in the ACT Government (I dont) – you guys know you can buy prepaid tickets online? I know that doesn’t help the occasional user – but for the everyday commuter there isn’t a better way.

No coins – online – arrives fast and has a discount.

wildturkeycanoe 5:32 am 10 Apr 13

Masquara said :

wildturkeycanoe said :

I found out Sunday night I had to work in Civic. Guess what? I had no money for the meter. How many shops are there that are open at 7am? My mate had to get change for me at 8:15 so I didn’t get stung, so I am in his debt. This is a situation I feel compelled to use as an excuse to say to the boss that I will not work in Civic, full stop. If you get directed there after say, 9 am, what are the chances of getting a spot even remotely close to the job site? .

Wow, just wow. You work on call, sometimes in Civic, and you need to use parking meters? And you don’t keep ten bucks in parking change lying around your car or at home? Whose fault is this again?

Primal 11:14 pm 09 Apr 13

drfelonious said :

You have to remember that the government is not in the business of being a competitive service provider.

That depends… do elections count?

Masquara 10:03 pm 09 Apr 13

Morgan said :

@morganhitchcock many people don’t have credit cards or don’t want to risk paying high credit card interest. They want other options.— Andrew Barr (@ABarrMLA) December 20, 2012

Andrew Barr is a d*ckhead then. Credit cards are ideal for parking meters. As if high interest on a $2 charge is going to break anyone’s bank. And as if anyone doesn’t have a credit or debit card in this day of near-universal online shopping!

Morgan 9:52 pm 09 Apr 13

This is a conversation I had with Andrew Barr about this very topic.

Probably need to do a social impact study on how housos can use pay parking machines. The conversation reminded me of the Peoples Front of Judea deciding that men should have the right to have a baby even if it was physically impossible.

@morganhitchcock do they have smart phone capability or provide SMS alerts? We’d need more than 50 to replace every machine in canberra.— Andrew Barr (@ABarrMLA) December 20, 2012

2620watcher 8:47 pm 09 Apr 13

The private pay parking behind the AFP in the Barton supports card payment. Heaps better than using coins. Only gripe is standing around for a good 2mins while the machine slowly dials home to process the card.

Beats coins anyday