Where to get reasonably priced parking in Civic?

sunshine 19 October 2008 55

I’m just about to change jobs which means giving up my free parking spot in civic and finding another parking spot in Civic.

Can anyone suggest a long stay parking area in civic that doesn’t cost a fortune???

55 Responses to Where to get reasonably priced parking in Civic?
Vic Bitterman Vic Bitterman 8:38 pm 20 Oct 08

BerraBoy68 said :

Vic Bitterman said :

I park for free at the defence carparks in Russell and I have my pushbike in the back of the wagon. 10 minute ride into work. And free parking, and exercise. Bliss!

The Dep’t has been considering making the Defence car-parks ‘staff only’ for years to stop people who work in town parking there but the fringe benefits tax would kill their budget.

When I worked in town some years ago, I joined the Canberra City Bowling Club in Turner. Cost me about $100 for the year and I got to park there everyday. Now my office is right next to James Court apartments (on Northbourne) and due to the benevolence of my employer I get free parking at the back of our building. That really is gold.

Why not?

Approx 20 minute drive from Tuggers to Russell. Then another 10 minutes on the old deadly treadly. Great daily exercise!!!

At least 2 other co-workers of mine do the same. Anecdotally I see quite a few others doing the same, the I see the same people regularly each week.

Money in our pockets as public servants, we are not on a time-clock like contractots, in which case the 10 minute ride would be worth less than clocking on after parking nearby!

BerraBoy68 BerraBoy68 8:28 pm 20 Oct 08

Vic Bitterman said :

I can’t believe you admit to that. I used to work at Russell, still go there weekly for meetings in fact, and I think it’s fair to say many of those who work there roundly despise those who park there then transit into the city to their own workplace. Not that that’s how I feel necessarily, but I certainly wouldn’t advertise the fact you do it. Why not ride your bike all the way from home so you can feel even more ‘blissful’?

Vic Bitterman Vic Bitterman 7:15 pm 20 Oct 08

sunshine sunshine 6:08 pm 20 Oct 08

harvyk1 said :

tylersmayhem said :

i’ve thought about the bus however i’m one of those people that it doesn’t suit at all

Hi sunshine – I’m wondering why this doesn’t “suit”?

I don’t know about sunshine, but for me buses don’t suit because they take twice as long as a car, they go at awful times, and they all take the scenic route from my place. I have found that the only places where buses are any good are in the inner south, inner north and Belconnen. I think Action decided that these where the money spots and that the rest of Canberra could get screwed. Considering I’ve lived in most area’s of Canberra, this was my experience, it was these places which got a half decent bus service. The rest of Canberra got rubbish.

harvyk1 said :

tylersmayhem said :

there’s some more of my reasons

sunshine sunshine 6:06 pm 20 Oct 08

tylersmayhem said :

Hi sunshine – I’m wondering why this doesn’t “suit”?

lots of reasons! to mention just a few: can’t stand being in confined spaces with sweaty strangers, buses too unreliable, need my car to travel around for work, could go on but shan’t bore you with my reasons.

peterh peterh 3:56 pm 20 Oct 08

harvyk1 said :

Pandy said :

If people rode their bikes or walked instead of travelling by car or bus 9or light rail), they would lose weight and get fit.

Well aren’t you holier than thou. For me, walking or riding into the city from home is not an option. It’d make using the bus a time saving option. I agree, if your only a few Km’s from work, then walk or ride. But it’s not something that most of Canberra can do.

I don’t know if they still do it, but when I worked in the city (and I had a reason to drive, I needed to visit multiple customer sites.) I brought a monthly parking pass from the gov shopfronts. They ended up been about $100 a month. Provided you drove most days it was the cheapest way by far. I saved about $40 a month on parking by using the prepaid tickets.

I visit multiple clients in civic. I park at work (phillip) walk to woden and catch the bus to the city. visit clients, come back to woden, done.

I try to ensure that my day is based around geographical locations. I visit clients in proximity to each other. If I need to go out to another site, I aim for more than one visit at that location.

work is free parking, and the cost for the bus is not as bad as the parking charges.

harvyk1 harvyk1 3:49 pm 20 Oct 08

tylersmayhem said :

Hi sunshine – I’m wondering why this doesn’t “suit”?

ant ant 2:26 pm 20 Oct 08

Well they had the DA stuff out for that carpark back in 2001, can’t remember who was named on the DA. I wonder why it didn’t go ahead?

la mente torbida la mente torbida 2:26 pm 20 Oct 08

don’t tell anyone, but there are two on-street parking spots diagonally opposite Gus’ (sic) beside the new ATO building. They are unsigned, so you can park there all day for free!

Danman Danman 1:43 pm 20 Oct 08

If the rex shuts down that car park, I have decided that on my non riding days i’ll park my car at the free parking in Dickson and ride the 10 minutes into work.

Funny though, I have heard rumours that its actuall the Tradesmens and Labourers Club that owns that patch of bitumen.

The rex owened the smaller patch next door where the old fella used to clean every morning.

ant ant 1:21 pm 20 Oct 08

tylersmayhem said :

So Ant, you would really turn down a good job in Civic because of the parking situation?! Wow!

I have, often. There are plenty of other “good jobs” without having to squander so much money on parking. On the occasions I did accept jobs in civic, the employer paid an extra allowance for parking.

Dan, that’s so funny the Rex is still parkable! I think I last used it in 2001, and the yellow signs had been up for quite a while. It filled up around 8am or later then, and then you’d have to go to the little patch the Rex owned and pay an old bloke $2.
I thought doom was imminent and we’d all be wandering the streets shortly, looking for spots.

djk djk 1:17 pm 20 Oct 08

$8 a day on the roof of CityWest if you are on that side of the city, and will get there before 0830.

Danman Danman 12:50 pm 20 Oct 08

ant, I believe that they are talking about the car park that is where the robo-toilets are at the end of Mort Street.

I park at the rear of the rex on the 2 days a week I do not ride, and certainly last Thursday it remained, as it has for my 3 years working in town, free 🙂

Get there before 0730 though

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:49 am 20 Oct 08

I don’t take any interest in jobs in Civic, teh parking thing is just too silly nowadays.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:46 am 20 Oct 08

Hi sunshine – I’m wondering why this doesn’t “suit”?

MissB MissB 9:49 am 20 Oct 08

I agree that the monthly paid parking tickets from the Govt shopfront are good. Parking over near the paddle boat hire ends up at only about $3.60 a day with the discounted monthly pass! And its a nice 5-15 mins stroll to work (depending on which side of civic you work at!)

harvyk1 harvyk1 9:22 am 20 Oct 08

Pandy said :

ant ant 8:48 am 20 Oct 08

I take it the great Rex rort has finally been closed down? I used to park there every day, but you had to get in early.

Bells Bells 8:40 am 20 Oct 08

Have lost the abilit to type. Need coffee.

If you can get in before….that should read.

Bells Bells 8:39 am 20 Oct 08

If can get it before or around 8am, the carpark up near Hague park, at the end of Mort STreet, is $5 a day and you can have a 10 or so minute walk and be at work easily!