Pay parking opens up in the Parliamentary Triangle

johnboy 15 May 2013 76

map

It’s been talked about for years, and announced in last night’s budget. Pay parking in the parliamentary triangle is coming.

This will mean the more important departments lose the perk of free parking, but at least some rationalism will come into the parking which will mean visitors can get a spot (even if they have to pay for it).

The National Capital Authority has opened a discussion on the balance of short and long stay parking:

The National Capital Authority invites public comment on the allocation of car parks for long stay and short stay. Four discussion boards, which have been broken down by area, are available for comments.

The aim of this consultation is to determine the optimal mix of short stay and long stay spaces within the overall pay parking arrangements.

One way or another, the pay parking kicks off from 1 July 2014.

What’s Your opinion?

76 Responses to
Pay parking opens up in the Parliamentary Triangle
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newest
gooterz 9:36 pm 15 May 13

The government pays the workers for working.

The workers need to park somewhere, so will now pay the government for parking.

Having paid parking itself costs money to run.

So the government wants to pay money to people, then also paying others to go collect some of that same money back, it makes as much sense as having government employee’s taxed.

We could save lots of money not collecting taxes from people who are paid with taxes. (The employees earning less instead and not having to waste the ATO time taxing the tax dollars).

Sammy 9:34 pm 15 May 13

MMR said :

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

Well I guess you could always go and get a job in a department that has bountiful free parking. Oh … wait …

thatsnotme 9:23 pm 15 May 13

Pork Hunt said :

Primal said :

Pork Hunt said :

Can someone in the know please explain why you still have the NCA? Why doesn’t all of the ACT come under the ACT Gov jurisdiction?

Because the big shiny Federal Government doesn’t want the puny little ACT Govt to have it by the short-and-curlies when it comes to matters of what happens in the Triangle.

Now when are we getting that Barton Bus Station I keep reading about? Some time around July 2014 would be useful…

So is the NCA in the constitution or is it an invention due to self government?

If only there were a website that explained the history of the NCA… 😉

Valleyboy 9:12 pm 15 May 13

This has helped to firm up my retirement plans. I’ve been working at Russell for many years, and I was thinking of retiring sometime around the middle of next year, at a logical time when I’d seen swansong projects through for things that I’m the local knowledge silo for and that my workmates haven’t wanted to touch.

Now I know I’ll be going by June 30 next year, projects finished or not. On my marginal tax rate, pay parking would be the equivalent of a gross pay cut of nearly $80 a week. For what — for the privilege of coming to work, in a location that is a public transport backwater, not a hub; where there are no retail or other amenities; and where public servants aren’t competing for parking with anybody else (eg, competing for parking with tourists at a tourist attraction).

For the huge increase in commuting time that it would take to travel using buses from my home in the arse-end of Tuggeranong, I probably would’ve been no worse off for travelling times had I stayed in my home city instead of relocating to Canberra.

F**k all that. I feel fortunate that it will be convenient for me to walk away just before the revenue-raising rip-off commences. I could imagine that transfers to Campbell Park might become sought after by Defence personnel at Russell.

CityDweller 9:11 pm 15 May 13

The massive open air carpark between Kings Ave and John Gorton Building would be a great spot for a large underground/aboveground pay carpark. Sure we’d have to kill off a few old trees, but it could be built in stages and would easily service the Triangle and Barton.
Would probably be too much like forward thinking through….

And i must say i really love the pay carpark that’s already in Barton. I get a park there every time!

bigfeet 8:45 pm 15 May 13

Well this is going to decrease productivity in my team.

Now I am going to have to roster someone every day to stand in the car park and send a bulk SMS to us all when the Parking Inspectors turn up, so we can rush down and pay the minimum amount until they leave.

Or if there is free one hour tourist parking, I just roster a person to stand down there and continually move our cars around. Actually that will require rostering two people to be effective.

banco 8:43 pm 15 May 13

Meanwhile we have the greens and labor MLAs extolling our crappy public transport system when I guarantee you none of them regularly catches a bus.

banco 8:38 pm 15 May 13

MMR said :

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

Yep it will basically be a transfer of wealth from Canberra to Tasmania etc.. Between that and the coming public service cuts things are really looking up for the Canberra economy.

Masquara 7:44 pm 15 May 13

bigfeet said :

But will you still be able to pitch tents, dump shipping containers and light fires with impunity if you call yourself an ’embassy’?

Will this signal the end of unquestioned free parking in the Rose Gardens for Tent Embassy folk?

Note that I took an international visitor to the tent embassy recently, and he went off to chat to one of the Indigenous folk. First tent: occupied by non-Indigenous Josh. I’d say that if you don’t have to be indigenous to pitch a permanent tent there, you don’t have to be indigenous to park there.

Aeek 7:40 pm 15 May 13

Parking in Woden improved heaps when it went to $8 and $9 has been icing. Before it was getting impossible to get a park if I was running too late to cycle in, or as has been mentioned here need to drop children off first.
Must be hell needing to drop the kids off before parking in the triangle ATM.

blaringmike 7:39 pm 15 May 13

MMR said :

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

Use that $2640 to buy a motorcycle. You’ll get free parking and save petrol.

Deckard 7:36 pm 15 May 13

MMR said :

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

Welcome to the real world.

magiccar9 7:34 pm 15 May 13

steveu said :

I suspect those who currently are allocated a park by their agency will incur a fbt liability for their department, which will have to be absorbed by the department or passed on to the employee.

I can confirm this. Working in the triangle we are offered parking spaces appointed to our building however we are charged a FBT which is almost $3000 per year out of our salary. This forces most people to use free parking around the area. Taking this away is going to leave a lot of people disgruntled.
As previously stated, the problem really lies with more and more parking being taken away. They build office building after office building and reduce the parking. If it’s their way of getting us to use public transport, they first need to make the public transport usable.
Pay parking is not going to solve anything.

c_c™ 7:12 pm 15 May 13

Brilliant sound bite on ABC News tonight from a public servant:

“$11 a day, my goodness it won’t be worth working”

Not sure if joking or serious.
Keep in mind even an APS 2 earns $136 a day so perhaps overstating it a bit.

dpm 7:12 pm 15 May 13

Primal said :

Not sure about that, but check:

dpm 7:05 pm 15 May 13

MMR said :

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

There aren’t any local shops in the triangle….!

MMR 7:00 pm 15 May 13

Defence pays for parking costs for military and APS staff who work at Fairbairn and BP – so those staff unfortunate enough to work at Russell will be effectively taking a pay cut compared to their peers.

TP 3000 6:48 pm 15 May 13

Primal said :

A tender had gone out recently for its construction.

For those who don’t like catching a bus from their suburb to work. You can always drive to the Park & Ride locations & take the bus from there. These locations can be found at http://www.transport.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/395486/Park_and_Ride_map.pdf all you have to do is show you actually use your MyWay card.

Also when TAMS (eventually) release ACTION Buses Network 13/14 for public comment. People could make suggestions for some Xpresso’s to go through Parkes rather then Russell.

MMR 6:41 pm 15 May 13

Well that’s $2640 per year of my money that won’t be spent in the local shops

zippyzippy 6:35 pm 15 May 13

It has been pretty weird to have free parking all this time; where else would you see that.

Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.