Perfect Bean Closing Down

dazzab 29 March 2012 26

Those of you who shop in Florey will know all about the nice little coffee shop there named The Perfect Bean. After two years the owner has decided it’s time to wrap it up which is very sad news for those of us who enjoy a good cuppa.

Geoff runs the coffee shop and he’s a bit of a Lego fan, to say the least. This Sat 31 Mar 2012 will be the last day of trading and he’s going all out with a display of his favourite Legos. He has also decided to donate all income from the day to the upcoming ACT Black Dog Motorcycle Ride which will be raising funds to support Lifeline ACT.

Make the trip to Florey on Saturday from 9.00am to say hi and enjoy the toys. Thanks go out to Geoff for the great coffee and his generosity.

UPDATE 29/03/12 16:01: Apparently they’re now not closing completely.

26 Responses to Perfect Bean Closing Down
vg vg 4:39 pm 28 Mar 12

Legos, Legos, Legos, Legos, Legos

I can call it what I want.

Bite my date Susan Williams

Genie Genie 3:13 pm 28 Mar 12

Erg0 said :

Thoroughly Smashed said :

Jurls said :

The pluralisation comes courtesy of our American cousins.

I assume it comes from the same instinct that causes people to say that they shop at “Myers”.

You mean ‘Grace Bros’ right ??

Thoroughly Smashed Thoroughly Smashed 3:08 pm 28 Mar 12

Erg0 said :

Thoroughly Smashed said :

Jurls said :

The pluralisation comes courtesy of our American cousins.

I’d say that one’s possessive rather than plural.

Erg0 Erg0 2:53 pm 28 Mar 12

Thoroughly Smashed said :

Jurls said :

The pluralisation comes courtesy of our American cousins.

Grail Grail 2:51 pm 28 Mar 12

Jivrashia said :

Not sure if stupid or retarded…

Not sure if lazy or stupid.

alms, amends, barracks, cattle, clothes, deer, doldrums, ides, pants, pliers, scissors, sheep, shorts, trousers, chassis, rendezvous: there are a plethora of words in the English language which are not pluralised with an “s” (do you wear “a pant” or “a pair of pants”? do you cut with a scissor or a pair of scissors? Now what happens when you have multiple pairs of pants in the wardrobe, do you have pantses?). Lego is one of them because it describes the building system, not the blocks.

I’ll just go with lazy and stupid. It’s not like you even tried.

Thoroughly Smashed Thoroughly Smashed 2:28 pm 28 Mar 12

Jurls said :

The pluralisation comes courtesy of our American cousins.

Lazy I Lazy I 2:24 pm 28 Mar 12

Jurls said :

I’m fascinated by the fact people say “Legos”. Is this a new thing or does it depend on where you are from? I always used to (and in fact still do) say “I want to play with my Lego or I’m playing with my Lego now”. I’ve never added an S to it…..

Blame the Americans, they could never figure it out. They are now using the Internet to brainwash the rest of the world.

VYBerlinaV8_is_back VYBerlinaV8_is_back 2:20 pm 28 Mar 12

“I love playing with Lego”.

Jurls Jurls 2:14 pm 28 Mar 12

Lazy I Lazy I 2:12 pm 28 Mar 12

loosebrown said :

OMG – this is totally real. If you plug the statement into Google it comes up on messageboards all over the internet. It seems as though the LEGO® people are actively moniting the internet and post this whenever anyone refers to LEGO® as ‘Legos’!!!

And a little more research finds that Susan Williams might not even be a real person, as she is meant to ‘symbolise the customer service reps’ at LEGO®.

Imaging meeting them at a party:

“Wow! Working for the Lego group of companies! What do you do there?”
“Oh everytime Google alerts me to the use of the word ‘Legos’ on a blog or messageboard I have to create an account, log in and post a statement about our preferred way of referring to our products.”

Strange world we live in. Anyway, we all know the real name for LEGO® is, ‘the small, sharp bits of plastic that you step on with bare feet’.

This statement used to appear at the end of their catalogs, it has nothing to do with representatives scouring the Internet to correct mistakes.

Here is an example from the mid 80s:

There also used to be a redirect with a similar message if you attempted to visit http://www.legos.com (now it has a less abrupt message).

Do you guys use ‘sheeps’ for the plural of ‘sheep’?

damien haas damien haas 2:03 pm 28 Mar 12

i have never heard a child exclaim ‘lets play with our lego bricks and toys!’ it’s usually ‘i want to play with legos’. and they arent particularly picky about apostrophe placement either.

i think we should run a riotact poll. legos or the corporately approved term.

loosebrown loosebrown 1:25 pm 28 Mar 12

Imaging meeting them at a party:

“Wow! Working for the Lego group of companies! What do you do there?”

Jivrashia Jivrashia 11:54 am 28 Mar 12

Grail said :

If you don’t like your LEGO toys, you could just avoid commenting altogether. For the rest of us, having sufficient respect for the manufacturer to not butcher their product name is a trivial effort — far less effort than posting the passé “can’t tell if trolling or retarded” Fry meme.

Not sure if stupid or retarded…

shirty_bear shirty_bear 10:51 am 28 Mar 12

Grail said :

shirty_bear said :

nup, sorry … still can’t tell. I find myself leaning toward option (b), to be honest. The fact that I’ve bitten this hard, however, leans me back towards option (a).

For the record, I think LEGO gear is great. I have a problem with a corporate memo telling me what to call them in general conversation.

Grail Grail 10:20 am 28 Mar 12

shirty_bear said :

Hopefully the Perfect Bean has a great closing day, I wish Geoff & co all the best in their future endeavours.

shirty_bear shirty_bear 9:40 am 28 Mar 12

Lazy I said :

Dear Parents and Children

LEGO® is a brand name that is very special to all of us in the LEGO Group Companies. We would sincerely appreciate your help in keeping it special by referring to our bricks as “LEGO Bricks or Toys” and not just “LEGOS”. By doing so, you will be helping to protect and preserve a brand that stands for quality the world over.

If at any time we can be of service to you regarding our products, please feel free to write to us.

Susan Williams

Lazy I Lazy I 1:57 am 28 Mar 12

Dear Parents and Children

Susan Williams

whitelaughter whitelaughter 1:15 am 28 Mar 12

drat. Twas a great place for a gluten free meal 🙁

gospeedygo gospeedygo 12:43 am 28 Mar 12

I guess you could say that the bean has been given the flick.