If you’re looking for a personal trainer in Canberra, it makes sense to go straight to the best. A quality personal trainer can motivate you and help you lead a healthier life. They can also help you achieve your fitness goals safely and more quickly.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a personal trainer, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great personal trainer?
Choosing the right personal trainer can give you confidence you’re getting value for money for each session. Working one-on-one with a personal trainer has many benefits. This includes coaching on your overall health.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a personal trainer.
- Extensive experience. You’ll want a personal trainer who has worked with clients of different ages, fitness levels and fitness goals. Experienced trainers know how to get you to develop better habits and work towards personal goals.
- Motivating. Besides wanting a trainer with life experience, you’ll want one who motivates you to make a difference to your life. This includes motivating you to continue training. It also includes helping you align your lifestyle and nutrition with your training.
- Properly trained. A personal trainer must be properly qualified. Ask about their education, including if they have a Certificate IV in Fitness or other training. Serious personal trainers also continually expand their knowledge. This includes through courses in areas like rehabilitation, fat loss, muscle development, strength or athletic performance.
- Knows your limits. A personal trainer will tailor your fitness program. They’ll listen to you and encourage you to excel, but safely. They’ll also refer you, if needed, to a physiotherapist or other specialist.
- Great communicators. The best personal trainers don’t just tell you what to do. They explain why you’re doing what you’re doing. They explain that training is more than fat loss and muscle development. It’s about moving properly and getting fit without injury.
The best personal trainers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
For Timothy Butler, personal training is much more than fat loss and muscle development. It’s about living a better life and maintaining overall health. It’s also about developing stronger mindsets, better routines and healthier habits.
As a modern personal trainer and coach at Club Lime, Timothy is a strong communicator. He explains to clients how regular training and quality movement can help. With Timothy, clients are trained under the guidance of an expert who cares. This has many advantages, including on physical and emotional levels.
Professionally trained, fully qualified and insured, Timothy’s clients rely on him for quality and productive time at the gym. Timothy has more than seven years in the fitness industry. He has worked with a wide range of clients with varying fitness levels and fitness goals.
As a Club Lime trainer, Timothy has access to quality fitness facilities and equipment. For Timothy, the end game is always sustainable training methods and longevity. Motivating clients to want to return for training time and time again is one of Timothy’s strengths.
Timothy studied sports and exercise at the University of Canberra.
As Johnny Sherry wrote on Google, “Great gym. Friendly, helpful staff. Equipment modern and clean.”
With more than 25 years of high-performance sport, athletics, general life and coaching experience, Sebastian Ellis helps clients live better lives. Sebastian, who is Head Coach and Founder of Elements4Life, has a unique outlook to training. He specialises in full lifestyle adjustment. He also specialises in complete body composition change.
A qualified Master Functional Trainer, Sebastian works closely with clients on their personal goals. Goals can include aesthetics, fitness maintenance, athletic performance or improving lifestyle and health.
As a trainer and coach, Sebastian works to improve and develop better experiences for his clients, gym members and community. A strong leader, Sebastian also trains and mentors other coaching staff to excel. All professional trainers at Elements4Life specialise in Functional Training and Focus Personal Training.
Sebastian coaches out of Elements4Life’s Harrison and Belconnen centres. New members can take up the “PT Quickstart” option at either centre.
Michelle Bullock wrote on Google, “Best gym to be at. Great trainers, great equipment and a lovely and relaxing environment!”
Rebecca (Bec) Brown runs a personal training business from a well-equipped studio in O’Malley. One-on-one training is designed around what clients want. Bec conducts personal training for all ages. Various routines and the use of different equipment keeps clients interested and engaged.
On Facebook, Tracey Henry wrote, “Outstanding and absolutely life changing training and support for your mind, body and soul! I’ve been training with Bec and her team for over 10 years and counting!”
Define Fitness takes clients on a journey to be the fittest and healthiest they can be. Programs are tailored to get real results. Define Fitness’s large team of passionate personal trainers motivate and inspire clients.
On Google, Cherry Mayola wrote, “Define Fitness has been instrumental in getting me to my fitness goal. This is the kind of environment that keeps me motivated with knowledgeable, friendly, and professional trainers, an exciting variety in classes, and a family and team camaraderie!”
Elements Fitness was founded by Ben Langford who is also head coach. Ben has a Bachelor of Coaching Science, University of Canberra. He is accredited by the Australian Sports Commission as a sports coach, assessor and mentor. Personal training at Elements Fitness is for clients of all types and with all kinds of goals. Workouts are tailored and safe.
On Google, Alexander Konovalov wrote, “Elements has great instructors and training partners, good facilities … and an innovative approach to skills development.”
If you’re looking for more information on getting fit in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best gyms, the best Crossfit gyms and the best high-intensity interval training classes Canberra has to offer.