If you’re looking for a personal trainer in Canberra, it makes sense to go straight to the best. A quality personal trainer can motivate you and help you lead a healthier life. They can also help you achieve your fitness goals safely and more quickly.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a personal trainer, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great personal trainer?
Choosing the right personal trainer can give you confidence you’re getting value for money for each session. Working one-on-one with a personal trainer has many benefits. This includes coaching on your overall health.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a personal trainer.
- Extensive experience. You’ll want a personal trainer who has worked with clients of different ages, fitness levels and fitness goals. Experienced trainers know how to get you to develop better habits and work towards personal goals.
- Motivating. Besides wanting a trainer with life experience, you’ll want one who motivates you to make a difference to your life. This includes motivating you to continue training. It also includes helping you align your lifestyle and nutrition with your training.
- Properly trained. A personal trainer must be properly qualified. Ask about their education, including if they have a Certificate IV in Fitness or other training. Serious personal trainers also continually expand their knowledge. This includes through courses in areas like rehabilitation, fat loss, muscle development, strength or athletic performance.
- Knows your limits. A personal trainer will tailor your fitness program. They’ll listen to you and encourage you to excel, but safely. They’ll also refer you, if needed, to a physiotherapist or other specialist.
- Great communicators. The best personal trainers don’t just tell you what to do. They explain why you’re doing what you’re doing. They explain that training is more than fat loss and muscle development. It’s about moving properly and getting fit without injury.
The best personal trainers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Drew Gough, a passionate person trainer, has a Certificate IV in fitness, strength and conditioning and four years’ experience assisting clients to get the most out of their gym sessions.
Having played elite level rugby for many years, Drew’s strong sports background gives him a competitive edge as a personal trainer.
At Club Lime (Gungahlin and Braddon), Drew holds an initial consultation with clients to determine their specific goals, such as weight loss, strength training or overall fitness. He then develops a tailored personal training program and backs every client by motivating them to achieve their goals.
Beyond actual exercise, Drew supports clients to enhance their wellbeing by changing their lifestyle and habits over the long term. Drew believes personal training has many advantages, including having an expert there to encourage clients to push that little bit harder to gain more benefit.
As Jacob Moir wrote on Facebook, “Bloody good trainer. Has motivated and got me going for the past month or so. Great plan of attack and gained good confidence.”
Joseph Peluko has more than six years of experience as a personal trainer and coach. He is a Senior Coach and Master Functional Trainer at Elements4Life. Here he was mentored by owner and founder, Sebastian Ellis.
With a strong growth mindset, Joseph specialises in resistance training, strength development, mobility, and rehabilitation. He has evolved into a highly respected and approachable coach with great motivational and communications skills.
Joseph personally understands the power of being fit and leading a healthy lifestyle. His passion for changing lives began after years of school yard bullying. Today Joseph is a key influencer in the community. He inspires clients to grow through a long-term commitment to getting fit and staying fit.
Joseph coaches out of Elements4Life’s Harrison and Belconnen centres. New members can take up the “PT Quickstart” option at either centre.
On Google, Christopher Van-bael wrote, “Great gym and awesome trainers. The gym has all the equipment needed and the group sessions are great for building strength and fitness. Highly recommended this gym.”
Elements Fitness was founded by Ben Langford who is also head coach. Ben has a Bachelor of Coaching Science, University of Canberra. He is accredited by the Australian Sports Commission as a sports coach, assessor and mentor. Personal training at Elements Fitness is for clients of all types and with all kinds of goals. Workouts are tailored and safe.
On Google, Alexander Konovalov wrote, “Elements has great instructors and training partners, good facilities … and an innovative approach to skills development.”
Define Fitness takes clients on a journey to be the fittest and healthiest they can be. Programs are tailored to get real results. Define Fitness’s large team of passionate personal trainers motivate and inspire clients.
On Google, Cherry Mayola wrote, “Define Fitness has been instrumental in getting me to my fitness goal. This is the kind of environment that keeps me motivated with knowledgeable, friendly, and professional trainers, an exciting variety in classes, and a family and team camaraderie!”
Rebecca (Bec) Brown runs a personal training business from a well-equipped studio in O’Malley. One-on-one training is designed around what clients want. Bec conducts personal training for all ages. Various routines and the use of different equipment keeps clients interested and engaged.
On Facebook, Tracey Henry wrote, “Outstanding and absolutely life changing training and support for your mind, body and soul! I’ve been training with Bec and her team for over 10 years and counting!”
If you’re looking for more information on getting fit in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best gyms, the best Crossfit gyms and the best high-intensity interval training classes Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with personal trainers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the personal trainers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.