Best Personal Trainers In Canberra

Emily Morris 20 August 2019 30

If you’re looking for a personal trainer in Canberra, it makes sense to go straight to the best. We’ve corralled customer opinions to get an overview of the personal trainers you need to try in this area.

What Makes a Good and Reliable Personal Trainer?

So, what are we looking for in a personal trainer?

• They should be knowledgeable about their job
  • They must be able to make a big difference in the lives of their clients. If you can get the same experience from simply going to a gym, then they don’t make the cut!
  • They need to be able to help you work towards personal goals
  • They must ensure your lifestyle outside of the gym works alongside your training
  • They should teach you everything you need to know about maintaining the body you want
  • Working one-on-one is an obvious must!

ACT Barbell in Fyshwick – Nick

Nick isn’t afraid to let everyone know about his talents, which include giving clients “the skills and knowledge to be healthy and fit for their entire lives”. He wants to ensure that his clients will “never need my services again”.

You don’t need to just take Nick’s word for it. He offers free trial sessions and is open to answering questions about health, fitness, and nutrition. He takes a holistic approach, which involves reworking the client’s whole lifestyle around their fitness goals. This approach is generally favoured by the best personal trainers as it means progress continues at home.

Nick can be reached at nickdelatovic@hotmail.com or on 0423 535 369.

Elements Fitness in Moore Street – Ben

Interestingly enough, Nick from ACT was also happy to “personally vouch for the knowledge and skill-base” of Ben, who is recommended by a few reviewers. Ben, they say, “has a large wealth of knowledge and tailors his sessions to meet what you want to work on”.

Elements Fitness offers other services such as yoga, MMA, boxing, Capoeira, and other martial arts. Ben can also offer advice on nutrition and other aspects of health as related to your personal training.

Ben’s details can be found at Elements Fitness, or you can call him on 0402 581 977. You are also encouraged to drop in to the venue if you wish to speak to them in person.

Peak Performance – Rebecca Brown

If you would prefer not to go to a gym, Rebecca might be your best choice. She runs her business from her home in O’Malley with a home gym containing a lot of different equipment.

Customers who have worked with her in the past say that she provides “true one-on-one personal training” with no need to share her or any of the equipment with other users. This provides great privacy for those who might be shy about working out. She is also flexible enough to allow babies and children to be brought along for the session.

Her exercise plans are a “really great experience” and one reviewer says, “she wasn’t cheap but I was happy with her, I thought the vibe and the facilities were great”. She seems to have the knack for letting people understand their needs so they complete their fitness journey both in their sessions and at home.

You can find out more about Rebecca at Peak Performance.

Our information is all based on user comments, so we appreciate it if you can leave us comments here with your own experiences and reviews of personal trainers in Canberra. These will help us to keep our information up to date and will provide new suggestions for visitors to follow. With these resources, everyone can find a personal trainer they trust!

30 Responses to Best Personal Trainers In Canberra
goose goose 6:14 am 01 Nov 11

Mysteryman said :

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Make a set time everyday to do some exercise, and just reduce what you eat by a bit.
Good luck 🙂

All true, but far too vague to be of any actual help. I’m a big believer in one’s ability to self-teach but sometimes it really does help having someone else teach you and share their insight, or even just show you where you’re going wrong.

Follow this guy: http://www.fit2fat2fit.com/

goose goose 6:01 am 01 Nov 11

Stevian said :

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂

If it was that easy everybody would do it

It is easy. Eat less and do some exercise. “SIMPLE”

jenny123 jenny123 5:56 am 01 Nov 11

Bussie said :

jenny123 said :

Why bother with comments like this, you just look like an arrogant ass…

Because of Nick’s ridiculous claim that whatever someone’s immediate goals are he’ll help them achieve those goals.

Helping someone reach their immediate goals is ridiculous because….?

Bussie Bussie 9:38 pm 31 Oct 11

jenny123 said :

Why bother with comments like this, you just look like an arrogant ass…

jenny123 jenny123 8:11 pm 31 Oct 11

Bussie said :

NDelatovic said :

Hi Orangegirl, My Name’s Nick and I’m a pretty great personal trainer. I work out of a gym called ACT Barbell in Fyshwick but I live in Braddon and can take you for sessions in the inner north area.

I pride myself on setting up my clients with the skills and knowledge to be healthy and fit for their entire lives. If you were to train with me then we’d achieve whatever your immediate goals are while also servicing that overarching goal. We’d take a holistic approach towards improving your whole lifestyle, not just the time that you’re in the gym. It’ll be about using the best available knowledge to develop a system that works for you personally. My goal is to get my clients to the point were they’ll never need my services again.

I charge $44 per session, which includes all the outside programming we’ll do for the rest of your week. If you have any health/fitness/nutrition questions or you’d like to organize a free trial session then please e-mail me at nickdelatovic@hotmail.com or call on 0423 535 369.

Failing that, I can personally vouch for the knowledge and skill-base Ben at Elements.

Very modest there Nick, can you help me with my immediate goals of deadlifting 400kg and running a 2:10 marathon?

Why bother with comments like this, you just look like an arrogant ass…

Bussie Bussie 7:09 pm 31 Oct 11

NDelatovic said :

NDelatovic NDelatovic 5:40 pm 31 Oct 11

I’d also like to agree with Watto23’s comment. As an athlete myself, I’m very reliant on the knowledge and oversight of my Coach’s to make I keep progressing.

Getting expert knowledge will help you in ANY pursuit. Anyone looking to become healthy who is decent financial means should avail themselves of coaches, psychologists, physiotherapists etc.

Of course their are a thousand ways to be active, many of them free. But many Australians are short on basic knowledge that would make a real difference in their lives. For instance, how to strengthen and mobilize your lower back, or the concept of homeostasis (which explains why many people can’t lose weight just by going for a run). The best part of my job is getting to share this life-changing info.

NDelatovic NDelatovic 5:22 pm 31 Oct 11

watto23 watto23 5:07 pm 31 Oct 11

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂

Seriously if its that simple we all would do it. OP don’t be afraid to try a few trainers out. Since I found a good personal trainer she is worth her weight in gold. My life and health have turned around completely.

As someone whos always played sport and been a member of the gym, but also 30 kgs overweight, its easy to suggest to exercise more and eat less. A good personal trainer will help target the right exercise programs, also keep you motivated and also push your own limits. Most professional atheletes need a coach to help push them.

Also if you mentally struggle see a psychologist also. This is far more useful than going on diets and doing fads etc. I’d recommend my trainer, but she is southside and has no spare places right now.

Waiting For Godot Waiting For Godot 3:33 pm 31 Oct 11

Stay right away from a certain gym in Weston. One of their personal trainers is a psychotic, tattooed roid freak with a pathological hatred of “faggots”.

Rusalka Rusalka 2:45 pm 31 Oct 11

And by Mort St I mean Moore St.
Time for another coffee me thinks.

Stevian Stevian 2:22 pm 31 Oct 11

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂

If it was that easy everybody would do it

Rusalka Rusalka 1:33 pm 31 Oct 11

Ben at Elements Fitness in Mort St. Hands down.

Elements does personal training and fitness stuff, yoga, as well as Martial Arts (BJJ, MMA, Boxing, Capoeria, etc). The benefit to this is the Ben has a large wealth of knowledge and tailors his sessions to meet what you want to work on, or in my case what you need to work on. He’s also a great person to talk to about nutrition and food in relation to what exercise you’re doing. Also I find a lot of his stuff you can take away and do at home.

Their webpage is http://elementsfitnessact.com.au/ but I know they are having issues with that at the moment. Ben’s mobile is 0402 581 977, or drop in if you’re in the City as Ben or one of the other instructors are usually there.

Good luck on your hunt.

Angelina Angelina 12:09 pm 31 Oct 11

I mentioned this in the thread the jenny123 is referring to. Rebecca Brown, Peak Performance. The facilities are at her home in O’Malley so you don’t have to join a gym. She has several large rooms that take up the bottom floors of the house with a lot of different equipment. When I was going there I got true one-on-one personal training each session and I didn’t have to share the trainer or the room I was doing the session in. When I went I had a young baby so it was great to be able to bring baby with me to each session.

She also writes up exercise plans (homework if you like) for you to do between sessions. I found that was great to give me structure so I kept on track between sessions. You get the progress checkups too. It was a really great experience for me. It got me back on track.

As I mentioned on the other thread she wasn’t cheap but I was happy with her, I thought the vibe and the facilities were great and I learned so much about making my own exercise plans to vary my routine so I don’t get bored.

http://www.peakp.com.au – her qualifications and stuff are all on the website.

Mysteryman Mysteryman 12:05 pm 31 Oct 11

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂

orangegirl orangegirl 12:04 pm 31 Oct 11

That was very helpful, thanks jenny.

jenny123 jenny123 11:40 am 31 Oct 11

I was looking into A Hern personal trainers, not sure if their any good, has anyone had any experience with them??

Orangegirl you might find this helpful

sawyer sawyer 11:37 am 31 Oct 11

goose said :

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂

Thanks, goose. You’re a genius.

sawyer sawyer 11:33 am 31 Oct 11

Ben and Jamie at Deakin Fitness First are good. They both charge about $60 an hour.

goose goose 11:28 am 31 Oct 11

Reduce intake and increase output.
Eat less and walk, run, swim, bike ride etc.
No need to pay someone, self discipline is all that is needed.
Good luck 🙂