News

Excellence in Public Sector consulting

Petrol companies ripping off Canberra again?

By johnboy 27 June 2009 41

The ABC informs us that petrol prices are running 15 cents a litre higher than Sydney, or even Goulburn or Yass.

It also seems we have both too much competition, and not enough.

One suspects maybe we just have too much money.

What’s Your opinion?

41 Responses to
Petrol companies ripping off Canberra again?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
caf 10:01 am 30 Jun 09

If everyone went out and bought a 5 year old V8, the prices of 5 year old V8s would rise substantially.

(…and in order to buy 5 year old V8s there has to be an equal number of people selling them – what are they going to buy?)

imhotep said :

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

… the Toyota Prius is still a long way from making economic sense, especially when you consider that the real environmental benefits of a Prius over other small cars are pretty much negligible.

People buy a Prius for all kinds of reasons I expect, but one of them might be that if we all drove hybrids, the environment would be a slightly better place than if we all drove….VYBerlinaV8s.

If everyone went our and bought a 5 year old V8 instead of a brand new hybrid, each buyer would save about $25k. If everyone pooled their $25k and the resultant millions were spent on a huge tree planting program, we could well be better off.

I love the idea of reducing pollution and improving the environment, but I hate the BS solutions many greenies seem to peddle.

imhotep 7:58 pm 29 Jun 09

monomania said :

I’m not to sure about that imhotep. You won’t have any figures on that because no body cares if it looks like a good idea and Toyota have told us it is.

So are we all dumb victims of a conspiracy by Toyota? Successful car companies are the ones that make whatever people want. If there was enough demand for a car that ran on cranberry juice Toyota would bring out a model.

Hybrids aren’t THE answer, but I think they are a step in the right direction. You don’t need to be a grrenie to accept that we should burn less fossil fuels.

I do agree with your other comment though. A lot of other agendas are peddled under the ‘green’ label.

monomania 7:35 pm 29 Jun 09

imhotep 7:02 pm 29 Jun 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

You are correct in saying that the lower fuel consumption of a Prius doesn’t justify the price premium. But if we all bought cars on a purely rational economic basis, everyone would have a Toyota Camry.

I agree mono.

Scribble 5:36 pm 29 Jun 09

Smug appears to be a very efficient power source.

A koala stamp for that one mutley.

monomania 5:03 pm 29 Jun 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

Huh?

I’m not for a second suggesting that environmental study and research is not a good thing, simply that the Toyota Prius is still a long way from making economic sense, especially when you consider that the real environmental benefits of a Prius over other small cars are pretty much negligible.

Neither am I. Just that the financial and environmental cost assessment of remediating the problem is not being carried out. There is “Green” industry out there claims to be environmentally responsible but a lot is simply profit driven. Who needs to be rational about our responses to climate change? It seems that anything goes as long as it claims to be “sustainable” or “renewable” or “reduces Carbon emissions” or “offsets Carbon”

Huh?

monomania 4:20 pm 29 Jun 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

Top idea the Toyota Prius. Pay $15k more than a similar vehicle that uses 2-3 litres less fuel per 100km. Fortunately it only takes half a million kilometres driven to get to cost break-even…

And they get sales tax relief because they are so environmentally friendly? Will they ever have a payback period environmentally?DrKarl thinks they must. Billions of dollars are being spent on the study of climate change. Is anything being spent on determining the most appropriate ways of offsetting carbon or reducing its production or do we have to rely on greedy green industry and its promotion to the smug gullible like DrKarl to come up with the answers.

Sorry to get so far off post but I blame DrKarl made me.

Oh, and petrol costs more here because Canberrans earn more than other Australians, and the retailers can get away with it.

mutley 2:56 pm 29 Jun 09

#26 +1.

Smug appears to be a very efficient power source.

Sands 1:41 pm 29 Jun 09

Mmm, hopefully the private school will teach them how to spell.

YapYapYap 10:24 pm 28 Jun 09

DrKarl said :

Post #13 +1

We are past peak oil now it going to only get more expensive now, I like our new Toyota Prius family car. The fact that I brought a smaller older house closer to the city and insulated it, I grow vegetables on its large section. And I ride my bike with our kids in a bike trailer around the wonderful parkland of lake Burney Griffin, And that we are also all vegans, and save alot of money on groceries, and can send our kid to a private school so they don’t grow up as bogens.

Oh joy, they’ll grow up just like you

xyro 9:55 pm 28 Jun 09

$1.13 in Orange today! wonders never cease…I wish i took a few jerry’s!

nota 7:29 pm 28 Jun 09

Ahh the smug delights of LPG at 48 cents per litre vs forking over $1.35 for petrol

Wraith 5:53 pm 28 Jun 09

GregW said :

Supply – demand. It is a competitive industry.

Get over it.

What a load of bullshit, there is no competition in this market here, and just about every other post here so far that makes sense suggests that is the case……

JC 5:26 pm 28 Jun 09

TP 3000 said :

The petrol companies do say it costs more due to having to transport the fuel, but as most would know there is a Shell storage facility in Fyshwick & the fuel for that comes in by train a few times a week. Well the Shell petrol station 2 blocks away (most of the time) have the same price for petrol as the Shell in Gungahlin. Now shouldn’t the Shell in Fyshwick be cheaper as it could be piped in.

But also numerous times I’ve pulled into a petrol stations in the early morning & I’ve filled my tank (50-60 litres) & for those 5-10 minutes I’ve been the only vechile & the price has stayed the same as earlier that day. No where is the demand?

Also I’ve left for work at 6:30am Wednesday morning & seen the price of petrol at lets say 1.29 c/l. Now I’ve come home at 10:30am & the price of petrol has risen to 1.45c/l. Now as far as I know the PS pay becomes available to PS’s at 9am

You know nothing TP3000. PS’s pay gets run through the interbank computer system on a wednesday evening. The money appears in peoples accounts when the receiving bank has processed the interbank transfer. That can vary from bank to bank. I bank with SOMB and NAB, it seems SOMB goes in about 10pm Wednesday and NAB close to middnight, but never heard of 9am as a rule. The same thing happens to everyone that gets payed direct, although if you bank with the bank your company banks with you would get it earlier as there is no need for an interbank transfer.

As for fuel there is a lack of DIRECT competition in Canberra, owing to the fact that most of our stations are on their own and in suburban centres. The only real competition is in Dickson and Braddon (both places where I worked in servo’s in my younger days).

And your idea of a direct line from the Shell Depot to the shell servo at Fyshwick, do you know how the fuel industry really works? Unless that site is a fully owned and operated Shell site it wouldn’t work.

Hells_Bells74 12:10 pm 28 Jun 09

They don’t get paid Wednesday’s typically and it’s often in their banks 12am Thursday morning (PS payday) or sometime before 9am anyhow to my knowledge.