News

Avani Terraces - Greenway
Life is looking up

Petrol companies ripping off Canberra again?

By johnboy - 27 June 2009 41

The ABC informs us that petrol prices are running 15 cents a litre higher than Sydney, or even Goulburn or Yass.

It also seems we have both too much competition, and not enough.

One suspects maybe we just have too much money.

What’s Your opinion?

41 Responses to
Petrol companies ripping off Canberra again?
VYBerlinaV8_the_one_ 4:05 pm 29 Jun 09

Oh, and petrol costs more here because Canberrans earn more than other Australians, and the retailers can get away with it.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_ 4:00 pm 29 Jun 09

Top idea the Toyota Prius. Pay $15k more than a similar vehicle that uses 2-3 litres less fuel per 100km. Fortunately it only takes half a million kilometres driven to get to cost break-even…

mutley 2:56 pm 29 Jun 09

#26 +1.

Smug appears to be a very efficient power source.

Sands 1:41 pm 29 Jun 09

Mmm, hopefully the private school will teach them how to spell.

YapYapYap 10:24 pm 28 Jun 09

DrKarl said :

Post #13 +1

We are past peak oil now it going to only get more expensive now, I like our new Toyota Prius family car. The fact that I brought a smaller older house closer to the city and insulated it, I grow vegetables on its large section. And I ride my bike with our kids in a bike trailer around the wonderful parkland of lake Burney Griffin, And that we are also all vegans, and save alot of money on groceries, and can send our kid to a private school so they don’t grow up as bogens.

Oh joy, they’ll grow up just like you

xyro 9:55 pm 28 Jun 09

$1.13 in Orange today! wonders never cease…I wish i took a few jerry’s!

nota 7:29 pm 28 Jun 09

Ahh the smug delights of LPG at 48 cents per litre vs forking over $1.35 for petrol

Wraith 5:53 pm 28 Jun 09

GregW said :

Supply – demand. It is a competitive industry.

Get over it.

What a load of bullshit, there is no competition in this market here, and just about every other post here so far that makes sense suggests that is the case……

JC 5:26 pm 28 Jun 09

TP 3000 said :

The petrol companies do say it costs more due to having to transport the fuel, but as most would know there is a Shell storage facility in Fyshwick & the fuel for that comes in by train a few times a week. Well the Shell petrol station 2 blocks away (most of the time) have the same price for petrol as the Shell in Gungahlin. Now shouldn’t the Shell in Fyshwick be cheaper as it could be piped in.

But also numerous times I’ve pulled into a petrol stations in the early morning & I’ve filled my tank (50-60 litres) & for those 5-10 minutes I’ve been the only vechile & the price has stayed the same as earlier that day. No where is the demand?

Also I’ve left for work at 6:30am Wednesday morning & seen the price of petrol at lets say 1.29 c/l. Now I’ve come home at 10:30am & the price of petrol has risen to 1.45c/l. Now as far as I know the PS pay becomes available to PS’s at 9am

You know nothing TP3000. PS’s pay gets run through the interbank computer system on a wednesday evening. The money appears in peoples accounts when the receiving bank has processed the interbank transfer. That can vary from bank to bank. I bank with SOMB and NAB, it seems SOMB goes in about 10pm Wednesday and NAB close to middnight, but never heard of 9am as a rule. The same thing happens to everyone that gets payed direct, although if you bank with the bank your company banks with you would get it earlier as there is no need for an interbank transfer.

As for fuel there is a lack of DIRECT competition in Canberra, owing to the fact that most of our stations are on their own and in suburban centres. The only real competition is in Dickson and Braddon (both places where I worked in servo’s in my younger days).

And your idea of a direct line from the Shell Depot to the shell servo at Fyshwick, do you know how the fuel industry really works? Unless that site is a fully owned and operated Shell site it wouldn’t work.

Hells_Bells74 12:10 pm 28 Jun 09

They don’t get paid Wednesday’s typically and it’s often in their banks 12am Thursday morning (PS payday) or sometime before 9am anyhow to my knowledge.

TP 3000 11:33 am 28 Jun 09

el 10:59 am 28 Jun 09

Yeah, well I don’t eat anything that casts a shadow, you enviro-vandals!!@!@!@!@!!11!!

Clown Killer 9:08 am 28 Jun 09

Sorry – “buy in Sydney” not “by in Sydney”.

Hells_Bells74 9:08 am 28 Jun 09

I love my four cylinder Magna on LPG. 50.4c a litre on Friday, nice!

Clown Killer 9:08 am 28 Jun 09

I don’t think that there’s really much value in trying to compare Sydney and Canberra prices for fuel. It might be relevant if we had the choice to by in Sydney and live in Canberra but we don’t. We get to choose between Canberra and Canberra (and Queanbeyan too I suppose).