Community

Experts in Wills, Trusts
& Estate Planning

Piggery footage reveals horrendous cruelty outside Canberra

By FreddyVegan - 4 August 2012 172

Animal Liberation ACT, in conjunction with Animal Liberation NSW has launched a campaign – Australian Pig Farming: The Inside Story following several months of investigation into Wally’s Piggery, a piggery just 20 mins from Canberra.
Please visit www.aussiepigs.com.au to learn more and find out how you can help the thousands of pigs that are subjected to cruelty on this farm and by the pig industry.

The ABC has reported the story.

What’s Your opinion?

172 Responses to
Piggery footage reveals horrendous cruelty outside Canberra
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
mos 5:53 pm 13 Aug 12

mos said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

I dont think anybody has any concerns with vegans in general, its the fundy nutbags who attack anybody who is not vegan that i have a problem with. They are no better than relegious zealots trying to tell women what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. You live your life and i will live mine, its a pretty basic concept to grasp.

Off the top of my head, one of the first lines on that website is that the only way to stop animal cruelty is to go vegan. A blatant lie. There are many ethical ways to raise and slaughter animals or get milk eggs etc etc.

Billions of animals are harmed and killed by the meat, dairy and egg industries every year. This concept that ‘you live you life and I’ll live mine’ is fine – until others are hurt by what you do. For instance (and no, I’m not suggesting that non-vegans are as bad as people who molest children) someone who choses to be a paedophile does not have the right to be left to live his life as he would like.

I think the line you were looking for is, ” Why vegan? … it’s the only way to be sure your food is coming from an ethical source.” That’s not a lie. There is cruelty and death in every animal based product. Free range animals all end up in the same slaughterhouse as their ‘factory-farmed’ brothers and sisters and it can never be humane to take the life of an animal who has the capacity to enjoy her life.

Like I said earlier, if it’s possible to live well without animal products (and it is) and all animal products involve, at the minimum, the confinement and killing of sentient animals – how can it be ethical to continue to use them just because we like the taste?

See youy are starting to do it yourself. It is not cruel to kill a animal. And by saying it is you are spreading the lie. stop it. Death is part of life and yes, of course all animals slaughtered are killed, but not every death is cruel. Its part of nature. survival of the fittest etc etc.
There are plenty of ethical ways to kill a animal. And thats the product i try to buy.
i only buy free range eggs aswell, something that involves no cruelty. oh and i eat honey. There is no cruelty in that.

To what end does your enforcing your own views on others stop at? Do you rally against mortein and fly swats? What about cats? They viciously torture birds to death for fun. Do you protest against cats?

>”i only buy free range eggs aswell, something that involves no cruelty.”.

For each hen hatched a male is also hatched. He’s of no use for egss or meat so he and the millions of others like him are minced alive or gassed at the age of 1 day. Also – every laying hen in a commercial egg facility is slaughtered at about 18mths once her productivity drops. Tell me again how free range involves no cruelty.

mos 5:48 pm 13 Aug 12

HenryBG said :

mos said :

No it isn’t, nutter.
Our species has evolved on an omnivorous diet. Your inability to partake of the omnivorous diet which is all at once natural, healthy and required by our bodies would be best addressed not by the emission of holier-than-thou sermons, but by attendance at the psychiatric facility of your choosing.

I, and many people I know, live very well without animal products. I won’t get into name calling like you – just read http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 5:41 pm 13 Aug 12

Malteser said :

Ok, I understand what Comic Guy and Qbngeek are saying. But please don’t let your experience or opinion of a handful of vegans stop you from getting involved in protests or rallies to stop animal cruelty and abuse. I want exactly the same as what you guys want. I know everyone in the world isn’t going to become a vegetarian, let alone a vegan. But I know most people want to support a more ethical treatment of animals and put an end to horrendous mass factory farming and other such practices. But people power is how this will change. All different types of people. Don’t be selfish because you don’t like how a person expresses their views.

Unity requires respect from both sides. People don’t get to act like jerks then wonder why people are not sympathetic to their veiws.
I would love a unified stand against cruelty to animals, but let’s be real here, me and peeps like me are not the ones stopping it.

fabforty 5:38 pm 13 Aug 12

I am a meat-eater and make no apologies for that. I think, though, most people (vegan or otherwise) are horrified at animal cruelty such as the type going on at Wally’s.

Why is it so hard to ensure that the animals we eat are treated in a kind and humane way ? Who is supposed to be inspecting farms to ensure this level of cruelty doesn’t happen ? This is what we need to be looking at. We need to ensure “farms” like this low-life is running are properly inspected.

I sincerely hope Wally goes to gaol but I suspect it will be a slap on the wrist and he will quietly resume at a later date.

HenryBG 5:21 pm 13 Aug 12

mos said :

No it isn’t, nutter.

Malteser 5:18 pm 13 Aug 12

qbngeek 4:47 pm 13 Aug 12

mos said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Oh really, there is no way to humanely raise animals to eat? This is what C&G Nerd is talking about. The reason many people are put off is because people like you come on here and spout rubbish and lies about eating chicken is inherently cruel and drinking milk is rape.

I also supported this cause, and signed the petition, however when it came to refer the page on my facebook feed I had a quick read and saw some of the rubbish they were saying and refused to spread it around. Most people in my friends list would have also signed the petition and shared it further. Hence they have done more harm to their cause by carrying on with crap about veganism. What was wrong with a page that said ‘Look at what Wally is doing. He is a prick. Help us stop animal cruelty by signing this petition’. there was no need to try and convert people to veganism.

And back to the ‘All meat is cruel argument’. I hunt a fair chunk of my own meat and it is very very rare that the first shot fails to kill instantly becuase I refuse to ‘spray and pray’ and will only shoot an animal if I am sure of a kill. I also eat chicken that comes from a friends farm who lets them roam a paddock all day and puts them in a shed at night for their own protection, it is not a commercial venture and only his family and mine get the chickens. We slaughter and prepare them ourselves. The meat I do buy either comes direct from the farm or from the few butchers I have known a very long time and trust. There are ways to eat cruelty free meat.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 4:29 pm 13 Aug 12

mos said :

mos 4:04 pm 13 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 3:47 pm 13 Aug 12

Malteser said :

Malteser said :

Deref said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

They take an issue that should be an absolute no-brainer and then turn people against it (and them) with their abuse of omnivores, idealogical preaching and outright lies.

Yep. They could do so much better and bring so many more people towards the problems at hand.
It’s exactly the same as somebody telling you about a awful situation, and you can help, but first before you can do anything to help, you must accept lord jebus into your heart.

Yep. A pity to see a good cause ruined by loonies.

It sounds like you guys are just hiding behind this as an excuse because you cannot be bothered nor care enough to actually show support to those trying to stop animal cruelty. No??

That’s the problem with Australia – we all say we care and ‘like’ posts on facebook etc but when it comes down to walking the walk only a handfull actually do.

I was there on the weekend and was not impressed by the turn out at the rally. This isn’t about going vegan or not areeging with some words on a website. It is trying to put an end to animal cruelty, trying to get the Government to implement stricter punishments for those that are cruel to animals and just keeping it on everyone’s radar so people like Wally know we f*cking hate animal cruelty. That’s what this is all about – ending cruelty towards animals.

It actually sh*ts me Comic Nerd that you now will not support this petition because you don’t like the website. So the poor pigs who need humans as a voice have to suffer because people like you can’t put their silly arguments to the side?? Selfish.

did you even read the website? its all about going vegan. they are the selfish ones for useingt a seemingly good cause for their own agenda.
Why should i, or anyone else take time out of their precious scheduale when they come on here, say they support the protest and only buy free range pork, then be lied to and abused by vegan nutters who say unless you are vegan you are part of the problem?
why on earth would anyone want to be asociated with that?

Guarantee that if the website was not such a gross push for venaism, your disapointing turn out would have been much better. Maybe instead of apologising for the liars who are doing more harm to animal rights than good, have a good look at them and you will soon realise the problem is not with me.

I’m not vegan yet I think anyone who actually gets off their arse to do something about outing an animal abuser or putting an end to animal abuse should be applauded, no matter what they eat. People who sign petitions, ‘like’ Facebook pages, say they care about animals yet do not ONE thing about trying to stop animal abuse are the nutters.

And if you are intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate and accepting of everyone (not animal abusers though of course!) then why would anyone abuse you? Let alone vegans? Projecting….

Why do you have this view of vegans being responsible for more harm to the animal liberation cause than good? You didn’t even come to the rally yet you have a strong opinion of those who organised it. I’d say there were a few meat eaters there – trust me – they didn’t get abused or lynched for it.

Typical Canberra. All talk, no action. I guess everyone was at Bunnings or Harvey Norman on the weekend.

And all organisations have an agenda d’ah. But the bottom line is their (Animal Liberation Society) agenda is to stop animal abuse. A lot of their members are vegan, big deal. If you decide to stop eating eggs and drinking milk along the way in your support for their cause, then so be it!

You dont appear to have looked at the website or even read most of this thread. Vegan crazys jumped in this thread makeing a lot of lies then were vewry rude when they got called on it. t was only then that i pulled my support. Its not that they are vegan, i myself eat a lot of vegan dishes, its the fact that they are fundamentalist vegans.

Malteser 3:30 pm 13 Aug 12

Malteser said :

Deref said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

Yep. A pity to see a good cause ruined by loonies.

why on earth would anyone want to be asociated with that?

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 3:29 pm 13 Aug 12

mos said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

What is it about veganism that concerns you lot? It’s simply a way of living that rejects use of – and harm to – sentient animals where such treatment is unnecessary. If it’s possible to live very well without harming animals (and it is) why would you NOT do it?

And maybe you can tell us where the lies are on that website.

mos 2:57 pm 13 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

And maybe you can tell us where the lies are on that website.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 12:48 pm 13 Aug 12

Malteser said :

Deref said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

Yep. A pity to see a good cause ruined by loonies.

why on earth would anyone want to be asociated with that?

Malteser 11:48 am 13 Aug 12

Deref said :

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

Yep. A pity to see a good cause ruined by loonies.

Deref 7:40 am 12 Aug 12

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

Yep. A pity to see a good cause ruined by loonies.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 11:46 pm 11 Aug 12

EvanJames said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

A “good cause”? Did you have someone do an analysis of it for you, before you came to that conclusion?

Did one myself, bro.

EvanJames 11:23 pm 11 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd 8:05 pm 11 Aug 12

bigfeet said :

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.

bigfeet 7:40 pm 11 Aug 12

Comic_and_Gamer_Nerd said :

Thought this was a good cause but cannot be associated with it now.

Typical Animal Lib/PETA type nutters.