Police Operation

Madam Cholet 17 November 2009 67

On my way to work today – going to the City via Woden – I encountered some kind of police operation. I think it was on Athlon Drive and according to 666 had traffic backed up to Drakeford Drive. Does anyone know what this was for? I purposely went this way as the traffic going from Erindale up to the Gowrie roundabout was chockers as well. They seemed to be clearing things away by the time I got there – two flash police cars and one lane completely blocked off. I figured it must have been important to disrupt traffic at that time in the morning. Just curious to find out.

67 Responses to Police Operation
Jim Jones Jim Jones 4:21 pm 23 Nov 09

Pedestrians should be registered.

dvaey dvaey 3:32 pm 23 Nov 09

Thoroughly Smashed said :

dvaey said :

What a stupid sign, what is a driver going to check their speed against?

Those with manual transmissions can easily calculate their required RPM for a range of speeds in each gear (in advance, obviously).

Which works fine, as long as your tacho is accurate.

Spideydog said :

OMG ……. “Check your speed” means – Look down at your speedo and CHECK WHAT SPEED YOU ARE DOING. Not ” I have to check my speedo against something, to see if it’s right” Give me strength.

So how come in NSW and Vic, whenever you come upto roadworks or in victorias case when you use major highways there are often ‘speed checks’ which display your current speed and even a smiley/sad-face picture if youre under/over the limit. I always considered that checking your driving speed is something you do every few moments as part of driving, not something worthy of putting up a big 15′ flashing sign to remind drivers what they should already know. To me a big flashing ‘check speed’ sign, means the sign has checked your speed and youre driving above the limit, having come through 3 such devices on my drive from Melbourne yesterday.

Spideydog said :

A serious question dvaey. Do you have some sort of issue with Police or Policing? I have noticed, especially lately, that any policing related threads that come up, you seem to go out of your way to comment and find things wrong with them or what they are doing?

If I had an issue with the police, Id be saying ‘police suck’, rather than writing a paragraph of my opinion of their actions. I often throw my 3 cents in for threads I find interesting, not only policing threads but as I drive for my job, stories about policing our roads are of interest to me.

Spideydog said :

Oh, in relation to being pulled over by the rapid system, depending on how you pay for the rego, it can sometimes take a couple of days for the payment to be processed. I am sure you can do the math from there?

I made a RiotACT post about it, but to answer briefly, I paid the rego at the shopfront when I also got new plates for the vehicle. The RAPID system checked my plates, matched it to the VIN and then did a rego check on the VIN, which hadnt been registered for over 5 years, so the system obviously knew the rego/VIN match. I paid on a friday and was pulled over the following weekend (8 days later). After the officer took all my details he returned to his car and apparently called someone who confirmed that the vehicle was infact registered legally.

indigoid said :

If I accidently creep over the speed limit, by following the traffic flow instead of constantly watching my speedo (speed differential is bad enough without taking your eyes off the road too). I do have a GPS which I primarily use as a speedo but Id prefer to know my speedo is calibrated to the ACT govt standard they use for speed-detection, since GPS’s arent infalible.

Maze Maze 11:10 pm 20 Nov 09

They did an excellent job on this on Lanyon Drive six months ago. Plain car o the side of the road with camera in front. Everyone slows down so even easier to get plate recognition. Big space just before roundabout and the cops just directed the cars they wanted off the road.

Unregistered, unlicenced, outstanding fines etc – very effective.

Don’t understand what went so badly here.

indigoid indigoid 11:25 am 20 Nov 09

People that paranoid (Mexicans, perhaps?) about speedometer inaccuracy should spend a few beans on a GPS. I only use my bike’s speedometer now in the tunnels in Sydney. The GPS is much better.

As for the roving vehicle inspectors… Some years ago I parked a borrowed Fiat 131 Mirafiori (RIP) in Dickson while getting some Ali Baba for lunch. At the time it lacked a driver’s window, both side mirrors and had a dysfunctional bonnet latch. When I emerged there was a mobile vehicle inspection vehicle parked on each side of it. I’m still astonished that they failed to defect it. There was certainly plenty obviously wrong with it

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 9:03 am 20 Nov 09

Tooks said :

Spideydog said :

dvaey said :

Lol. I assumed he was taking the piss when he asked about the Check your Speed sign. I guess common sense isn’t as common as it should be.

Ditto!!!

Tooks Tooks 11:17 pm 19 Nov 09

Spideydog said :

dvaey said :

KB1971 KB1971 1:16 pm 19 Nov 09

p1 said :

I am interested to know if the ACT gov’t has considered incorporating the RAPID system into the speed camera network? I imagine the majority of unregistered cars would still be in the possession of the most recent owner, meaning a ticket could just be sent, and then someone could chase down the others. Alternately, they could mount the camera sideways on a car, then drive around all the big carparks in ‘berra, and wheel clamp any unreg vehicles they find parked….

The Vehicle Inspectors do this with a bit of a roadworthy check thrown in. They check the label & if it doesnt match or is out of date then the plates are removed from the vehicle.

Spideydog Spideydog 12:56 pm 19 Nov 09

dvaey said :

One hopes theyve refined the system since they pulled me over twice on the same weekend with RAPID, for unregistered vehicle, 3 days after I registered my new vehicle.

Also one side comment, when they first started doing these computer scan things, they setup a big billboard near the old Kambah High, with a flashing sign saying ‘Check Your Speed’. What a stupid sign, what is a driver going to check their speed against? In Victoria, and NSW to a lesser extent, you have these sort of signs all over the place, but they say ‘check speed’ and then show what your real speed is. If youre going to spend however many hundreds of dollars it cost to put that sign up there, why not put a fully functioning sign, which helps you rather than just scares you into hoping your speedo is correct. This also leads to people who dont trust their speedos, dropping to 10-20km/hr below the limit near speed cameras and other law enforcement/revenue raising activities.

But thats right, it’s all a conspiracy that police get their jollies in scaring people and to revenue raise (revenue, that Police don’t receive, as it goes to the government)

p1 p1 11:42 am 19 Nov 09

WanniAss WanniAss 11:08 am 19 Nov 09

Tooks said :

Anna Key said :

I’m sure they’ll get over it.

And I’m sure you’d be singing a different tune if one of these unregistered, uninsured cars slammed into you. Who knows, the guy they locked up for breach of bail may have been on his way to burgle houses in your street.

Yep, the AFP should do these on every major road in Canberra every morning and evening and plant a few million trees to offset the carbon emissions.

Tooks Tooks 9:42 am 19 Nov 09

Anna Key said :

I’m sure they’ll get over it.

Anna Key Anna Key 9:36 pm 18 Nov 09

indigoid said :

Over 9000 thumbs up for Plods tidying up some loose ends in Crime Valley. Want to see more of this! Also want to see many more RBTs. I’ve been RBTed maybe four times in 13 years of driving/riding. Not nearly enough IMHO. Would like to see combined RBT/drug tests too. Do Plods do this already? I haven’t been flagged often enough to find out

well hopefully you get massively inconvenienced and delayed so a handful of dodgy cars get taken off the road. maybe block Hindmarsh Dve eastbound from 7.30 to 11.30. I’m sure there are maybe 10 dodgy cars in Weston Ck.

Anna Key Anna Key 9:28 pm 18 Nov 09

WTF. Stuck in this for 40 mins. Judging by the number of cars doing u-turns or heading up to Torrens or Fadden, it is really effective.

This is the equivalent to the whole class staying behind after school to punish one individual. Basically the AFP have lost a lot of my support and respect over the past two days. Sure an unreg vehicle is serious but is 8 out of 1577 a great return.

A highly visible presence just resulted in quite a few doing a u turn or going through Farrer or Torrens. Only those of us with current rego were stupid enough to spend 40 mins travelling from Mawson to Wanniassa

bd84 bd84 8:38 pm 18 Nov 09

Rumply said :

I don’t think it is just rubber-necking… pretty sure when I did my licence test there was simulation for stuff on the side of the road like accidents. You were required to slow down as you past things like accidents or the likes, otherwise you failed your test. You never know when some person with concusion may wander out onto the road or a child wanders off. I would rather people slowing down then hitting someone at 80 kmh.

If it was similar to what they were doing on Sulwood Dr, they would have had one lane blocked and an officer controlling the second either instructing the car to pull over or proceed so you were forced to slow to a crawl until mr plod decided to pull or go.

indigoid indigoid 7:20 pm 18 Nov 09

KB1971 said :

greenit said :

The CT article mentions that 8 unregistered vehicles were detected, 5 of which had no compulsory third party insurance. I thought that your couldn’t register a car without ctp, or is it different in other states? Can someone enlighten me?

Your CTP actually runs for 14 days after the registration expires, so basically the article should have said “5 vehicles have been out of registration for longer than 14 days”.

They might have been NSW plates. Jerrabomberra or Queanbeyan, perhaps

georgesgenitals georgesgenitals 7:11 pm 18 Nov 09

KB1971 said :

indigoid said :

KB1971 said :

There are issues all over Canberra with all types of Civil disobedience, isnt it about time you North Siders got over your inferiority complex?

Actually I’ve lived most of my life in the centre of the universe, ie. Weston Creek. The only thing Belconnen has over Tuggeranong from my point of view is that it is a bit further away 🙂

Doesnt matter where you live, the swiping is old & not warranted.

What? Trolling on the RiotACT? Say it aint so…

KB1971 KB1971 6:28 pm 18 Nov 09

greenit said :

KB1971 KB1971 6:26 pm 18 Nov 09

indigoid said :

KB1971 said :

Doesnt matter where you live, the swiping is old & not warranted.

Cletus 2 Cletus 2 6:20 pm 18 Nov 09