Police Operation

Madam Cholet 17 November 2009 67

On my way to work today – going to the City via Woden – I encountered some kind of police operation. I think it was on Athlon Drive and according to 666 had traffic backed up to Drakeford Drive. Does anyone know what this was for? I purposely went this way as the traffic going from Erindale up to the Gowrie roundabout was chockers as well. They seemed to be clearing things away by the time I got there – two flash police cars and one lane completely blocked off. I figured it must have been important to disrupt traffic at that time in the morning. Just curious to find out.

67 Responses to Police Operation
Tooks Tooks 8:57 pm 04 Dec 09

I think you’re probably confusing a normal patrol car with the RAPID team. Patrols down there are common.

fgzk fgzk 12:35 pm 04 Dec 09

Tooks “just simply stating that RAPID doesn’t only target people in unregistered cars and that their are other benefits to it. “

Yes you may have a point Tooks. I was wondering why the police would be scanning the Kambah Pools car park in the middle of the day? That got me to thinking about where all the data ends up. Is it shared between agencies? In the future could it be used to target non criminal activities?

Tooks Tooks 1:06 pm 03 Dec 09

By the way, I put in ‘their’ instead of ‘there’ just to test you all……maybe.

Tooks Tooks 1:04 pm 03 Dec 09

Ello Vera said :

You seem to be more threatened by the possibility of burglary or car crashes than the real probabilities warrant. That all comes down to perception of risk and is not worth arguing about. I agree about breath tests: there have been precious few of those in the last 5-10 years. I would much rather see the resources put back into this than the current fetish.

Nope, you’re way off the mark. I’m not threatened by the possibility of burglary or crashes; just simply stating that RAPID doesn’t only target people in unregistered cars and that their are other benefits to it.

I agree there should be a way of running it that doesn’t involve excessive delays to hundreds of people. As I’ve said, I’ve never been delayed for more than a few minutes.

A pet hate of mine is people who don’t maintain cars, drive, drunk, unlicenced, unregistered etc etc, so maybe I’m a bit more tolerant than other people when it comes to this sort of thing.

Tooks Tooks 12:48 pm 03 Dec 09

Anna Key said :

To everyone stuck by these operations, it will only be a real issue when they decide to do it on Gunghalin Dve. When its in Tuggers, be grateful the cops are making a handful of crims walk home. So what if you have waited 3 months+ for the specialist appointment which you have now missed, so what if your kids arrived late for exams because the bus spent 40 mins going nowhere. Thank god that dodgy magna is off the road. After all, it MIGHT have run into you

Can I call a waaaambulance for you? Make a complaint to the AFP if you’re that worked up about it. If enough people like yourself make an issue of it, then perhaps they’ll re-think the way they organise these things.

Look, if people are really getting delayed by 40+ mins by these kind of operations regularly, then I think it’s excessive. But I’ve never been delayed by more than a few minutes when going through, even on major arterials during busy times. Maybe I’m just lucky.

busgirl busgirl 9:32 pm 02 Dec 09

Tooks said :

busgirl said :

I got caught up in that Police Operation today as well…definitely tested the patience…not really an experience I need on my way to a much-earned yoga class…SERENITY NOW!!!

I hope you yelled it out like Frank Costanza, otherwise it doesn’t work 🙂

Is there any other way to ask for serenity now?? 😛

Anna Key Anna Key 9:03 pm 02 Dec 09

Ello Vera Ello Vera 6:47 pm 02 Dec 09

I never said I’d been pulled over: that’d imply I was guilty of some transgression. No, I am one of the recidivist do-the-right-thingers who they are not looking for.

The first two times were on Sulwood and they were what you call minor delays and, as I said, I was initially sanguine about them. I thought they were, on balance, fair enough. The other two times were not minor delays, were on major roads at peak periods and in my opinion were over the top. I spoke to someone else about yesterday’s and she told me that she saw a number of near misses when people suddenly came upon the traffic snarl.

TP 3000 TP 3000 6:19 pm 02 Dec 09

p1 said :

I’ve been scanned by the rapid system a couple of times over the last few years, but both of those times didn’t require me to slow down at all. I just drive past a car with a camera thingy, then up the road a bit there were some cops, but they were only waving over the occasional car. I am not sure why they needed to cause a traffic jam like the other day? Perhaps they were RBTing as well?

On the Parkway yesterday people were held up as those of us that turn left onto Sulwood Drive lost our slip lane & quite a few slowed down in case they were going to be flagged in. The only strange thing I noticed was for that whole time we only came to a complete stop for a few seconds at a time. But the traffic light sequence at the Sulwood Dr lights lasts for longer then that. Could someone explain that?

p1 p1 6:03 pm 02 Dec 09

Ello Vera said :

I was initially sanguine about the new police toy but now having been scanned four times in a couple of weeks, I am getting mightily sick of it.

Tooks Tooks 4:09 pm 02 Dec 09

Firstly, it isn’t a new toy; it’s been used in the ACT for at least 2 years. You’ve been pulled over 4 times in a couple of weeks? So what? I’ve been scanned by RAPID as well and I believe the minor delay is worth the results of catching people with unregistered and uninsured cars, dangerously unroadworthy cars, people breaching bail (especially recidivist property offenders possibly on their way to burgle houses), crooks with warrants etc.

If you were stopped 4 times in 2 weeks for breath tests, would you be just as critical. You sound like one of these “I want cops to do their jobs, as long as it doesn’t inconvenience me” types.

Ello Vera Ello Vera 1:34 pm 02 Dec 09

The amount of accumulated inconvenience to such a vast number of people over time vastly outweighs the benefits of catching a few naughties. There is a limit to the amount of intrusion to lawfully-going-about-your-own-business that should be tolerated for such a minor return and I am somewhat amazed by the air of tolerance in this thread. I doubt whether the acceptance would be as great in other places.

We put up with the odd traffic jam where it has been caused by an accident; that’s part of the deal. But to get this sort of imposed traffic jam so often just so that a few malefactors can be fined, is way out of proportion.

Yesterday I noticed that the waving-you-on cop was scrupulously avoiding any eye contact.

Tooks Tooks 11:03 am 02 Dec 09

busgirl said :

I hope you yelled it out like Frank Costanza, otherwise it doesn’t work 🙂

colourful sydney racing identity colourful sydney racing identity 9:39 am 02 Dec 09

Yep 45 minutes from Woden to Kambah. PLeas, please do this in the mornings not the afternoons. I don’t mind getting delayed in traffic on the way to work, but, the way home? Different story…

p1 p1 10:04 pm 01 Dec 09

I saw the excessive cue, and, thinking maybe an accident, turned of the parkway at hindmarsh and when around. I guess were I listening to 104.7 I might have known what it was, but that is pretty unlikely.

I support the police with this kind of activity, but kinda wish they could attempt it in locations where slightly less people will be inconvenienced. They could make up for the lower capture rates by doing it more often. And to enable this, they could be better funded, or ya’ll could break the law a little less so they aren’t as busy.

busgirl busgirl 9:37 pm 01 Dec 09

TP 3000 TP 3000 8:49 pm 01 Dec 09

As I mentioned, in a previous RAPID excercise the Police warned motorist of the RAPID set-up. I don’t know if warning was given today, but I foind out the trick.

On 104.7’s traffic reports every time they would say traffic building up due to a Police Operation on Drakeford/Sulwood KAMBAH. They ended the traffic reports for the day with “things clearing up as the Police Operation ends & cars being taken away on tow trucks” I was stopped 5 minutes later on the Parkway just after the Hindmarsh Dr overpass & crawled for 30-40 minutes until I finally reached Sulwood Drive.

To my surprise (not!) the Police were still there pulling people over.

sloppery sloppery 8:52 am 24 Nov 09

Jim Jones said :

Pedestrians should be registered.

They are. At birth.

Mr Evil Mr Evil 10:39 pm 23 Nov 09

Thumper said :

Pedestrians should be registered.

And prams…

And wheelchairs, walking frames, crutches and iron lungs.

Thumper Thumper 6:17 pm 23 Nov 09

Pedestrians should be registered.

And prams…