A two month targeted campaign conducted by ACT Policing’s Traffic Operations resulted in 673 infringement notices issued to drivers for using hand-held mobile phones while driving, twice as many for the same period last year.
The campaign, which ran throughout August and September, was part of a whole-of-government approach to road safety comprising law enforcement, advertising and public relations.
To reinforce the message of road safety, Variable Message Boards (VMBs) were positioned at locations throughout the territory and displayed such messages as “HANG UP AND DRIVE/ YOU’RE NOT THAT SPECIAL’.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
Sergeant Jeff Knight from ACT Policing’s Traffic Operations expressed his concern that Canberra drivers were not getting the message in relation to using a mobile phone while driving.
“Canberra motorists are listening to what is being said on the phone when they should be listening to us. Motorists are still choosing to use their mobile phone while driving,” Sgt Knight said.
Police will continue to target the use of mobile phones by motorists and those who are caught face a fine of $271 and a lose of three demerit points.
A special focus for road safety during October will be for speeding motorists. Motorists who exceed the speed limit could lose up to six demerit points off their licence and face fines up to $1811.
ACT Policing would also like to remind motorists that double demerits will be enforced over the Labour Day long weekend beginning at midnight on Friday (October 1) through to midnight on Monday, October 4.
- Food & Wine