ACT Policing is investigating an incident in which the naked image of a female Canberra teenager sent to a friend via a mobile phone was posted on the internet.
The image constitutes child exploitation material and was allegedly viewed by a number of people online. Police are now investigating how the material was transferred into the public domain.
Head of ACT Policing’s Child Abuse Team, Sergeant Sue Anderson, said that while the case was in the early stages of its investigation, it served as a reminder of how a breach of trust between individuals can result in what is thought to be private information being quickly and easily disseminated via other social mediums.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
“Police are constantly reminding people of the potential risks associated with using mobile phones and the internet. Information you may perceive to be private is not guaranteed as such,” Sergeant Anderson said.
The particular concern for police is for the security of young people who, as the most active users of this technology, are exposed to the greatest danger of having their personal information exploited.
Just a few weeks ago, the AFP in partnership with Microsoft and MSN introduced the ThinkUKnow education program into ACT schools whereby parents and guardians are being encouraged to become more aware of the internet sites their children are visiting and what they are doing online and through their mobile phones.
“We would encourage all parents and guardians to engage with their children about the potential dangers and issues surrounding internet usage so that they can enjoy their time online and experience the many benefits of the internet, without exposing themselves to such risks.” Sergeant Anderson said.
An 18-year-old Kambah man will face the ACT Magistrates Court this morning charged with aggravated robbery.
Police will allege the man was involved with two other men in the unprovoked assault on another 18-year-old man who had been walking to his home in Kambah on Wednesday evening (June 16).
The victim told police had been walking along O’Halloran Circuit when he was struck from behind by an unknown object, then struck a further three times by the offenders. His mobile phone was also stolen by the offenders.
The victim reached his home and sought help from the occupants, and the offenders then left in a white Holden Commodore.
Yesterday (Thursday, June 17) police executed search warrants on two Kambah homes and a vehicle. Around 6.20pm the 18-year-old man was arrested and conveyed to the ACT Watch House, where he was charged with breach of bail and aggravated robbery.
ACT Policing is seeking witnesses to a road incident in Page this afternoon (Friday, June 18), in which a motorcycle was forced to take evasive action to avoid a collision, resulting in serious injuries to the rider and pillion passenger.
The incident occurred around 2.15pm today at the intersection of Petterd and Herrgott Streets in Page.
The motorcycle, a black Suzuki GSXR750, had been travelling westbound on Petterd Street when it is believed that a vehicle entered from Herrgott Street, forcing the rider, a 22-year-old male from Hawker, to take immediate evasive action.
The bike fell to the roadway, resulting in serious injuries to the rider and his pillion passenger, a 20-year-old female from Flynn. The female pillion is four months pregnant.
Both rider and pillion were conveyed to hospital where the rider is reported to be in a critical condition and the passenger is serious.
Police are seeking to locate the driver of a white or silver Holden Commodore sedan, possibly an early 1990s model, which was involved in the incident but failed to stop and render assistance. There was one male driving the vehicle at the time of the incident.
Any witnesses who may have seen the vehicle as described, or may have any information about the incident and can assist the investigation is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.
4. Woden Fire:
ACT Policing is seeking witnesses to a fire at Woden Plaza early this morning (Friday 18 June).
About 2.28am, police attended the location where the fire had been extinguished by the ACT Fire Brigade. Upon arrival, police observed that the fire was in a large garbage hopper located in an external loading dock on Keltie Street.
No structural damage was caused to Woden Plaza as a result of the fire.
Police reviewed CCTV footage at the location, and identified a male lighting the hopper before fleeing the scene. He is described as Caucasian, between 25 to 30-years-old, approximately 175cm (5’9”) tall with a medium build and receding short brown hair. He was wearing a red jumper and blue jeans at the time of the offence.
Anyone who recognises the description of the above male person, or witnessed any suspicious activity at Woden Plaza around the time of the fire is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.
If you can help police contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via the Crime Stoppers website on www.act.crimestoppers.com.au.