POTUS circus coming – prepare for shenanigans

Gungahlin Al 4 February 2010 45

It’s hard to imagine what our nation’s capital will be like when US President Obama and his 500-person entourage comes to town next month.

AF1 at the airport, and a decoy nearby – could that possibly be Sydney, or more likely Avalon to avoid the problems it would cause at Mascot?

6 hornets at Nowra on rotation, with two on station over Canberra the entire time (great news for lovers of fast movers).

Transport planes for the 30-vehicle motorcade, including two of the 5-tonne Cadillac Ones.

Advance and pre-advance teams.

Parliament House and all surrounding roads closed down to the public. All APH staff scanned and bussed in to work.

Snipers, spooks and lots of conversations with cufflinks everywhere, various other locations closed off (Mt Majura and My Ainslie?).

And if Queanbeyan commuters think the airport area has its moments now, nothing will compare to the arrival and departure impacts of the visit. The airport has their nice new blast shield so they don’t have to close off the road now, but sure as it will be closed anyway.

And in APH, of course everyone will be squeezed into the House again, instead of into the Senate, which is designed to take both houses when needed. The squeeze along the benches last time looked stupid.

So good RA folk. Will you be looking for good spook-less vantage points to observe the fun? Or will it be a case of avoid at all costs, like Sydney folk being urged to leave town when APEC was on?

45 Responses to POTUS circus coming – prepare for shenanigans
Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 3:13 pm 11 Mar 10

p1 said :

I’d imagine that Mt Ainslie would be shut off as a possible launch site…

I had been thinking about walking up for a view. I wonder if it is possible to find out in advance? Or do I just go through the bush?

Probability of getting pounced on by people talking into wrists? 90%

“Is that a rocket launcher in your pocket?”
🙂

p1 p1 1:53 pm 11 Mar 10

I’d imagine that Mt Ainslie would be shut off as a possible launch site…

Gungahlin Al Gungahlin Al 9:55 am 11 Mar 10

According to CT that’s a definite no. So I wonder where the best place would be to watch AF1 come in? I’d imagine that Mt Ainslie would be shut off as a possible launch site…
Perhaps Brand Depot will be the go. Could be the most people that place has seen since its opening!

Pandy Pandy 9:42 am 11 Mar 10

Hope the RAAF can roll-out some of the F 18F Super Hornets. Even if they are still being in pre-delivery in the States. what an event that would be!

Anna Key Anna Key 8:34 pm 06 Feb 10

sepi said :

They like having us all stuck on motionless roads- it stops the terrorists getting through.

quote]

Just get the AFP to set up a rapid check, that’d do it.

I remember taking the kids to see the Olympic flame arrive. A couple of AFP dudes came over and asked for ID, although not quite sure why, do Free Tibet supporters have it marked on their drivers license?.

But the guy standing next to me must have been a serious planespotter. By the time I left, he was still engaging the feds in conversation over the differences between the A330 and A330 mkII or something. (In fact, they could still be there because he showed no sign of letting up)

Thumper Thumper 10:23 am 06 Feb 10

*sigh* more celebrity worship…

However I agree with cobrico. WHy not a new public holiday? Let’s call it presidents day.

sepi sepi 10:16 am 06 Feb 10

I wonder how long I can sleep in for, before blaming ‘traffic’ for getting to work really late.

Cobrico Cobrico 7:07 pm 05 Feb 10

More gridlock. What about a public holiday to keep the streets clear for the motorcade. I know it’s a sacrifice but we all have to pitch in.

GottaLoveCanberra GottaLoveCanberra 6:15 pm 05 Feb 10

Oh yay, here comes the Chocolate Messiah! -_-

Best thing about it all will be
A: the hornets
B: watching our fearless leader kiss ass like he’s never kissed ass before

NickD NickD 5:55 pm 05 Feb 10

I visited Washington DC a few months ago, and they didn’t have any of the nonsense which we had to put up with when Bush visited, so I’m hoping that it won’t be as bad as last time.

Muttsybignuts Muttsybignuts 3:16 pm 05 Feb 10

I remember an article in the CT years a go about the Clinton visit. It said, while hundreds crammed to get a look at Clinton at Parliment House, one bloke and his kids waited patiently at the gates of the Governor Generals waving some yank flags. Clinton even got out to say hello ( Pre 11/09/01 ). Cant see Barack doing that somehow.

6xin 6xin 2:13 pm 05 Feb 10

I remember watching Air Force One land in 2003 with a few plane fans, when George W. Bush came to Canberra. Very nice to see the big 747 in Canberra.

rosebud rosebud 9:13 am 05 Feb 10

Do you think they will let the public know which routes to line? I have NEVER either greeted or protested a US President – I am no flage waver. But I am just totally and utterly in celeb-love with the Obamas. I’ve even got the t-shirt (and a framed print). I gave the badge away to a friend as a housewarming gift (and I kinda want it back ;)). I want my kids to see this man too. So does anyone know if there will be some kind of reception or street by-pass or something that they will let us hoi poloi into?

AussieRodney AussieRodney 11:00 pm 04 Feb 10

Hazza said :

can you tell me without ‘having to kill me’?

No, but we can arrange for it to happen.

sepi sepi 9:28 pm 04 Feb 10

Gungahlin Al – you might not be so keen on the Obama visit after the night before he arrives when the bloody loud FA/18s circle the airport and surrounding area All Night Long.

urchin urchin 7:53 pm 04 Feb 10

Hazza said :

do you know what day & Time AF1 is touching down?

can you tell me without ‘having to kill me’?

we don’t *have* to kill you. sometimes we just do it for fun.

Pandy Pandy 7:10 pm 04 Feb 10

I am sure AF2 and AF1 will fly in roughly 20 minutes apart and who knows which one POTUS will be on? I don’t but you can always ask these guys: http://tinyurl.com/4gx28

What I hated when Bushy was here last time, was that the post office boxes in Yarralumla were welded shut in case a bomb (there I have said it: “bomb” and “President of the United States” in one sentence. Hello Echelon!!! ) was placed in it and disturbed Bushs’ sleep at the American Embassy some 2 klicks away. Ridiculous I know. I wonder if the regular Bogans from Tuggers are going to light a cracker or two?

Best thing about the 2003 trip was seeing how thick the car doors are on his limo. Oh and he laid a wreath.

I-filed I-filed 6:56 pm 04 Feb 10

Who could forget the Bush visit – the security shortstaffing, with rumply dumply clerks from the desks at AFP Headquarters kitted out in borrowed uniforms and pretending to be hofficers, and stationed all the way along Commonwealth Avenue. It was h i l a r i o u s.

The buffoonery continued at the War Memorial – massive security fences, the dangerous unwashed kept back down on Anzac Parade. Meanwhile, goodly citizens of Reid descended from Mt Ainslie unhindered with their dogs after their daily constitutional, cut across the grass pretty much within waterpistol shot of the Prez, and calmly hopped over the barriers. I’ll never forget the “i d o n t b e l i e v e t h i s” expression I caught on the face of one of the US security spooks as he witnessed the “security breach” – and nothing he could do about it.

And there was the large potplant stationed at the entrance to Parliament House to screen the president from potential assassins aimed up Anzac Parade.

Woody Mann-Caruso Woody Mann-Caruso 6:50 pm 04 Feb 10

It’s hard to imagine what our nation’s capital will be like

You find it hard to imagine what already happened in 2003? You find it hard to imagine arrangements that have already been spelled out? You find it hard to imagine what you went on to describe in your post?

Hazza Hazza 6:02 pm 04 Feb 10

do you know what day & Time AF1 is touching down?

can you tell me without ‘having to kill me’?

Region Group Pty Ltd