Pregnancy is an incredibly exciting time of life – adding a very special new member to your family is one of the greatest joys one can experience. That being said, pregnancy comes with its fair share of unwanted symptoms, with pain (especially lower back pain) and discomfort being some of the most common.
If you are looking to relieve aches and pains during your pregnancy, a specialised massage is a fantastic option. A top-quality pregnancy massage can bring much-needed relief to your rapidly changing body by realigning your posture and relieving pressure. What’s more, a quiet, relaxing massage is a lovely opportunity to indulge in a little me-time.
Canberra is home to many massage therapists that specialise in pregnancy and postnatal treatment. We asked the locals to share their top picks, and the results are in.
Let’s get started.
What makes an effective pregnancy massage?
Every massage therapist adds their own personal touch to their treatments. To ensure you get the most out of your massage, keep an eye out for the following:
- Specialisation in pregnancy and postnatal care. Pregnant women have a unique set of needs. Your massage therapist should specialise in these areas. That way, you can enjoy pain-relieving results with confidence.
- Effective, long-lasting results. When you walk out of your massage, you should feel calm and blissful. Discomfort should be alleviated and your mind should be quiet and clear.
- Relaxing environment. Taking an hour or two out of your busy schedule for a massage should be a relaxing experience. Things like spa music, aromatherapy, and other finishing touches make all the difference.
- Caring and compassionate approach. Pregnancy can be an emotional experience – especially if you are grappling with uncomfortable symptoms. Your massage therapist should be caring and compassionate.
- Fairly priced. This goes without saying – look for a pregnancy massage specialist that charges a fair rate for their services.
The top pregnancy massages in Canberra according to you
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
After consulting local reviews and feedback, the following pregnancy massage providers came out on top.
Siam Senses is one of Canberra’s leading Thai massage specialists. For more than a decade, they have delivered effective, client-tailored massage experiences using only the very finest organic products. Luxurious and indulgent, their pregnancy massages will help you feel your best through these precious months.
Pregnancy is a time to celebrate yourself and your body – and the passionate team behind Baby and Bump Massage and Beauty can help you do exactly that. Their friendly practitioners offer a whole range of tailored treatments suitable for women at all stages of pregnancy. Their offerings include both remedial and relaxation pregnancy massages.
Blissful Baby Belly is a mobile massage service designed just for pregnant women in the Canberra region. The dedicated, experienced therapists specialise in massage techniques that help the body adjust to your growing belly. They aim to improve posture and minimise aches and pains through a calming, compassionate treatment. And for those that are feeling stressed, Blissful Baby Belly also offers aromatherapy massages that utilise the power of pure essential oils.
Who did you pick?
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Did you invest in a massage or two during your pregnancy? Which therapist did you choose? How did the treatment affect the way you felt? Share your experience below for our readers to check out.