Prisoners complaining more

johnboy 6 February 2009 38

The Canberra Times reports that ACT Corrective Services have seen a big jump in complaints.

Complaints against ACT Corrective Services have jumped nearly 60 per cent in the past year as inmates in Belconnen Remand Centre buck against conditions in the facility.
    The figures come as an inmate who voiced his concerns about conditions in the facility to The Canberra Times last week suffered a heart attack in his cell.

A total of 155 complaints were made against ACT Corrective Services in 2007-08, with 62 investigated by the Ombudsman’s office.

Three of those complaints led to a policy change, a formal apology and financial compensation. In 2006-07 the number of complaints was 94.

Now prisoners will always complain for a number of reasons including:

— Many of them wouldn’t be there if not for their inherent dishonesty,
    — It’s a way to pass their copious amounts of free time,

— Every now and then you’re going to get a result, making a complaint is their equivalent of buying a lottery ticket.

On the other hand, a significant rise in the number of complaints can probably be added to the growing signs of crisis surrounding the prison debacle.

38 Responses to Prisoners complaining more
sepi sepi 9:37 pm 06 Feb 09

I did care, but then when I read that it only gets up to 30 degrees in there (during high 30s weather) I was less concerned. I’ve lived in way hotter houses than that.

Granny Granny 8:19 pm 06 Feb 09

I’m not sure you’re right about that, BigDave. Plenty of Australians seem to care about the conditions of detention for people who train for jihad with terrorist organisations.

BigDave BigDave 6:37 pm 06 Feb 09

I don’t think that anyone here would give a shit about these “poor” prisoners’ conditions if it was their house that they’d burgled.

rose1 rose1 5:47 pm 06 Feb 09

Yes and what about the alleged double murder in there! suffer baby suffer

sepi sepi 3:45 pm 06 Feb 09

except that we then pay them compensation.

R. Slicker R. Slicker 12:28 pm 06 Feb 09

If prisoners are complaining somebody must be doing something right.

jakez jakez 12:26 pm 06 Feb 09

tylersmayhem said :

…or it could be because I watched Changeling last night and it has triggered my natural distrust of people in power.

Look out JB 😉

I said people in power, not people who think they are in power 😉

KIDDING JOHNBOY!

Granny Granny 12:18 pm 06 Feb 09

jakez said :

… I think these matters are important not because they reflect on the ‘rights’ of the imprisoned, but because they reflect on our own humanity.

Well said, jakez.

: )

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:02 pm 06 Feb 09

Look out JB 😉

jakez jakez 11:57 am 06 Feb 09

Granny said :

Yeah, suck up your heart attack, princess!

Hope you have an aneurysm next time!!

Time to break out the champagne – I’m off to celebrate your misery….

Wallow, sucker, wallow!!

I might even take a day off from my respectable, pillar-of-the-community job and when I go to church I’ll stick an extra coin in the plate ’cause I’m so thankful that I’m such a nice person and just so much better than you, you bastard!

Unusually callous. Sarcasm?

I am not one to suggest that prisoners should live in the lap of luxury. However I think these matters are important not because they reflect on the ‘rights’ of the imprisoned, but because they reflect on our own humanity.

Granny Granny 11:53 am 06 Feb 09

I’m just enjoying the effects of the heat stress on the prisoners like everyone else, Tylers.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:48 am 06 Feb 09

Holy crap Granny – whats happened to you? Is the hot weather getting to you? ;P We’ve created a monster RA!

Granny Granny 11:19 am 06 Feb 09

Yeah, suck up your heart attack, princess!

Hope you have an aneurysm next time!!

Time to break out the champagne – I’m off to celebrate your misery….

Wallow, sucker, wallow!!

jackal jackal 10:58 am 06 Feb 09

“There but for the the grace of God go I” is a saying. God or no God, you or I could develop schizophrenia, for example, tomorrow and find ourselves in BRC. And sure, there are other people all over the world who live in much worse conditions, but it is a sad indictment for such an affluent city (and country) that our mentally ill are treated like criminals because there is nowhere else for them to go. Don’t believe me that the mentally ill end up at BRC then just talk to a mental health nurse at the canberra hospital’s psych ward, they’ll tell you just how many people with mental illnesses police bring in every day, only to have them turned away because there are no more beds.

SheepGroper SheepGroper 10:46 am 06 Feb 09

jackal said :

And are you daring to go against god’s will?

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:43 am 06 Feb 09

This is music to my ears. I’m hoping for more complaint’s – and hopefully some of them serious.

Oh good grief – please tell me you are f**king kidding! What do you classify unbearable? Do you need me to draw you a picture how the majority of the worlds population live in poverty, and “unbarable” is hardly the conditions in which these detainees live?

Interesting points about those who are apparently in there who have mental illness – I would be interested in ensuring they have the appropriate care.

jackal jackal 10:33 am 06 Feb 09

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy said :

So prisoners are complaining.

Well boo-fcking-hoo.

As many people have already pointed out in previous threads on this topic, most of those in BRC are not prisoners, they are remandees who are yet to be found guilty. Sure, most of these are in fact guilty, so one could argue it’s ok they are being treated poorly. But spare a thought for the large proportion of those in there who are mentally ill and find themselves in a perpetual cycle of courts, BRC and even jail because there is nowhere else in the ACT for them to go. Those with conditions such as schizophrenia often find themselves behind bars for minor offences (public nuisance is a common one) because they are refused bail, as the likelihood of them reoffending is, of course, high. Having them in custody is often the only way these people can receive treatment, but if they are being kept in unbearable conditions not only will their conditions never improve, symptoms will in many cases be exacerbated. And as someone else on riotact recently observed, there but for the grace of god…

Thumper Thumper 10:15 am 06 Feb 09

Maybe the government could ‘open’ a new gaol?

Pommy bastard Pommy bastard 10:07 am 06 Feb 09

To quote a board notable; “Suck it up princess’s”

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 10:02 am 06 Feb 09

So prisoners are complaining.

Well boo-fcking-hoo.