Private car users in Government sights as transport emissions continue to rise

Ian Bushnell 15 February 2019 179
Canberra Traffic

The Government wants more Canberrans to swap cars for the bus, light rail, or bike. File photo.

The ACT Government will target private car owners in a bid to reverse rising greenhouse gas emissions in the transport sector, with private car use the biggest contributor.

Overall the ACT’s greenhouse gas emissions continue to fall, as more of the Territory’s electricity comes from renewable sources. But the transport sector stands apart as the next big challenge for the Government.

The ACT’s 2017-18 Greenhouse Gas Inventory report found that the ACT’s emissions fell 14 per cent over the year, but transport emissions rose 2.3 per cent on 2016-17 levels and now accounts for 34 per cent of all emissions.

By 2020, when the ACT will be powered by 100 per cent renewable electricity, transport will be Canberra’s biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions, at more than 60 per cent.

Minister for Climate Change and Sustainability Shane Rattenbury said the Government would be encouraging car users to consider other ways of getting around the city.

“The Government will focus on helping people to take sustainable modes of transport, like light rail, buses and active transport. We’re also looking to the community to work with us, to being open to trying new ways of moving around the city,” he said.

The Government is also encouraging the take-up of electric vehicles, with new charge points, and the transition of the Government fleet to ‘clean’ cars.

Mr Rattenbury said the other challenge was reducing reliance on natural gas, and eventually phasing out its use altogether. Natural gas emissions decreased by 4 per cent on 2016-17 levels, but it is still a major source of heating for many Canberrans.

“Natural gas emissions are already reducing, partly due to people switching to new highly efficient electric appliances for their home heating and cooking,” he said.

The report found a big drop in waste emissions, down 31 per cent from 2016-17, mainly due to an increase in the volume of landfill gas captured and burnt.

Electricity emissions fell 27 per cent on 2016-17 levels.

“The report shows the ACT continues to make great progress in reducing our greenhouse gas emissions. Renewable electricity generation grew from 30 per cent to 49 per cent in 2017-18 as more of our wind farms came online,” Minister Rattenbury said.

He said the report showed that, with strong community support, the ACT can meet its emission goals.

The 2017-18 Greenhouse Gas Inventory is available at www.environment.act.gov.au.

179 Responses to Private car users in Government sights as transport emissions continue to rise
Rebecca Perrau Rebecca Perrau 11:18 am 18 Feb 19

So catch a bus to take kids to and from school and do the groceries and doctors appointments and kids parties and what if something happens and u need to get somewhere fast....

Yeah good luck with that.

This place is ridiculous what else are the so called government going to try and "fix"

Lynne Staunton Lynne Staunton 11:14 am 18 Feb 19

When it takes longer to go to Charnwood by bus than its takes to travel to Nimmitibel (30k pass Cooma) by car, not a good look.

And now with their new "improved" system coming in to serve the tram... what took one bus and half hour will now take two and longer. And they have taken the woden to fyshwick run out altogether. Am not going to civic first and add in extra half hour+ to what was a twenty minute or less trip.

Maybe it's time to get my licence....and add another car to the road.

Joanne Hagan Joanne Hagan 11:11 am 18 Feb 19

Awesome cause where I live, we don't have a bus service at all!

Anne Lewis Anne Lewis 8:33 am 19 Feb 19

Joanne Hagan and being just over the border neither do we 🤔

Malcolm Kerec Malcolm Kerec 11:10 am 18 Feb 19

The bus system is already terrible in Weston Creek & the new proposed timetable makes it even worse. If they want people on buses then they need to provide a better service.

Matt Druhan Matt Druhan 11:19 am 18 Feb 19

Don't worry they are almost finished the tram between Gungahlin and Civc. That should sort the problem out!

Ben Foley Ben Foley 11:02 am 18 Feb 19

As someone that drives a V8, we should totally be charged taxes based on how much our cars contribute to pollution (this includes the environmental impact of making your electric car). We should also, however be charged based on how much we (cars and driving style) contribute to road congestion.

Buses are slow but make up for it by carrying lots of people.

A V8 pollutes but doesn't hold up traffic.

A smart car doesn't pollute, but slows down everyone behind them.

Ella Factor Ella Factor 11:19 am 18 Feb 19

Ben Foley wait are you saying Tesla sports cars are slow? Last I heard they’re pretty fast!

Actually I test drive a PHEV recently and it took off faster than ordinary ICE car because it kicks both the electric and petrol engines in.

I guess the really early models of EVs weren’t so powerful and people just assume there’s been no R&D since then?

Ben Foley Ben Foley 11:35 am 18 Feb 19

Yeah a tesla is no slouch. If they figure out how to make batteries that don't require lithium, they'll be the natural choice.

Jody Maree Harrison Jody Maree Harrison 10:55 am 18 Feb 19

They better be catching a bus or light rail

Ken Quilty Ken Quilty 10:50 am 18 Feb 19

Get rid of all the Government vehicles here and let them use the bus network, then see how that works for them 🤔😂😂

Jessica Hitchens Jessica Hitchens 12:06 pm 18 Feb 19

Nothing will fix the network faster than doing that

Travissi Gilbert Travissi Gilbert 10:48 am 18 Feb 19

Where I live, the ACT doesn't provide a bus service and given I have to attend meetings during the day from a suburban office, they would need to significantly upgrade services outside town centres to make it a viable option

Julie Macklin Julie Macklin 11:23 am 19 Feb 19

Why did you choose to live here, without considering public transport?

Travissi Gilbert Travissi Gilbert 10:00 pm 19 Feb 19

Julie Macklin I am lucky. I have a car. I rent. 'Choice' is an interesting concept for tenants. I applied for properties in Belconnen, the Inner North and South & Woden area but was unsuccessful.

My tenancy was ending in 9 days when the Property Manager called and said I had been offered my current place. I like living where I live but unless public transport frequency is increased - particularly east to west, it is not possible to do my current job without a motor vehicle.

On days where I don't have meetings and appointments I'd happily catch a bus.

Tony Kevin Tony Kevin 10:47 am 18 Feb 19

We need home plugin solar powered electric cars. Tony Kevin

Donna Westcott Donna Westcott 10:39 am 18 Feb 19

Public transport is not really an option for many, me included. I need my car for work as well as the school and daycare run. I shouldn’t be penalised for that.

Andrew Wadey Andrew Wadey 10:35 am 18 Feb 19

The key issue is time. It is 10+mins faster for me to ride from Florey to Civic than bus the same trip - and I can leave whenever I'm ready. When public transport can compete time wise and is on time, people will be more likely to use it.

Lesley Jane Lesley Jane 10:35 am 18 Feb 19

I’d rather not walk, then bus, then walk, then tram, then walk, then bus and then repeat to come home.

Hugh Mungus McLauchlan Hugh Mungus McLauchlan 10:34 am 18 Feb 19

Are they daft? Southside is getting absolutely boned as far as public transport.. Just because it may work within the CBD doesn't mean it works all across Canberra..

Rodney Broughton Rodney Broughton 10:31 am 18 Feb 19

No way im taking an hour or more and half a dozen busses one way from Evatt to queanbeyan and the same again in the afternoon home. Lived with that for the first 10 years of my working life in sydney.

Roberta Lynne Anning Roberta Lynne Anning 10:27 am 18 Feb 19

If our public transportation system wasn't so expensive and deplorable I would use it.

Megan Baker-Goldsmith Megan Baker-Goldsmith 12:50 pm 18 Feb 19

Roberta Lynne Anning with a myway card a single bus trip is around $2.00. That’s less than an hours worth of parking.

I agree public transport can lose some of the convenience factor compared to cars, but it’s definitely cheaper.

Helen Mchugh Helen Mchugh 5:24 pm 18 Feb 19

Megan Baker-Goldsmith I think it’s been a while since you caught a bus - it’s currently $3.14 that’s $6.28 for a return trip with a myway card.

Julie Macklin Julie Macklin 6:01 pm 18 Feb 19

How much cheaper does it need to be? Very reasonable prices. Try catching public transport in London if you want to know what expensive is. Making such an ignorant comment, I don't think you catch buses.

Jeremy Coghlan Jeremy Coghlan 9:14 pm 18 Feb 19

Helen Mchugh me too and that $3 price is for a (blessedly short) 15 minute journey.

Bill Metherell Bill Metherell 10:26 am 18 Feb 19

Maybe they should look at their speed camera vans they leave idling all day long...

Kyle Sharpe Kyle Sharpe 10:25 am 18 Feb 19

Will the bus tow my work trailer to each job for me and carry materials?🤔

Soo Jay Soo Jay 10:34 am 18 Feb 19

Kyle Sharpe, I don't think professional use of motor vehicles are what they are talking about. But just take a look at the one car-one occupant commuters to and from the work place each morning and evening. (I am just as guilty as the next person in this; public transport is just too slow!). One thing Canberra could be looking at with regards to lowering the number of cars on the road is enabling more "work from home" options for office workers.

Brian McKenzie Brian McKenzie 10:45 am 18 Feb 19

Soo Jay or you could just leave home earlier like everyone else who catches public transport

Deanne Jodie Deanne Jodie 11:11 am 18 Feb 19

Brian McKenzie so you’re suggesting, in our already time poor, demanding lives where we struggle for work life balance, that instead of improving the public transport system to accommodate this push, everyone just used an extra hour or two of their day to get to and from work? Nope. The public transport system here is horrendous and needs improving. Then you’ll find that people will naturally move towards it as a cheaper and better option.

Brian McKenzie Brian McKenzie 11:22 am 18 Feb 19

Deanne Jodie I am saying plenty of people catch the bus daily. Your life is no more important than others. So stop pretending to be the busiest most important person in the world. Get organised and leave home earlier. It really isn’t difficult.

Deanne Jodie Deanne Jodie 11:44 am 18 Feb 19

Brian McKenzie oh we are playing this game. Ok. I never said I was more important. I said “everyone” is busy and time poor so I’m actually thinking of people other than myself. And assuming everyone is just plain disorganised and getting organised will make it all ok is plain ignorant. People make choices based on their life needs and to state they’re wrong in doing that is ignorant. There are people who are plenty organised, but have life demands that perhaps don’t allow all this travel time. Some of the bus trips and connections are just plain absurd and its unreasonable to expect them to take buses when they have a car and maybe other commitments. Maybe people don’t have ability or time to be on a bus for 3hrs a day due to actual life... people with kids, shiftwork, chronic illness, study and other commitments it might be a bit much... I realise people do it. But just because some people have no choice or make that choice, what makes others who don’t do it less than you? Why do we live in a world where making sacrifice and being a martyr to the system is considered better? How about instead of saying “suck it up, we aren’t important, just be a sheep” we band together and demand better?

Vic Franklin Vic Franklin 11:56 am 18 Feb 19

Thanks Deanne. Having a chronic illness means having to organise trips out very carefully. Being out just a fraction longer than needed can be a very bad thing. Bad organisation isn't my problem!

Deanne Jodie Deanne Jodie 12:45 pm 18 Feb 19

Vic Franklin I get it. I have a chronic illness also that makes me tired a lot. I manage to live a quite normal life mostly, but if I had to spend an hour or more in transit each day to and from work it would definitely mean changing my entire life, affect my income etc... the flow on effect would be enormous. But of course many would think I’m just lazy and disorganised 🙄 if I was so lazy I wouldn’t bother myself with trying to work at all would I?

Soo Jay Soo Jay 2:02 pm 18 Feb 19

Can't drop the kids off at school early enough to get to work on time. 😄

Alby James Alby James 10:19 am 18 Feb 19

And where is this working light rail system?

Hans Dimpel Hans Dimpel 10:12 am 18 Feb 19

I think it would be helpful if our local politicians set an example and used sustainable forms of transport.

Stephen Esdaile Stephen Esdaile 9:21 pm 18 Feb 19

From inner suburbs with the best public transport options. I'll bet not one spend two hours a day on public transport.

Stephen Esdaile Stephen Esdaile 9:30 pm 19 Feb 19

Jennifer - that's a sensational idea.

Harley Barber Harley Barber 10:04 am 18 Feb 19

Maybe they should improve their bus network

Maria Greene Maria Greene 10:12 am 18 Feb 19

Harley Barber improve rather than destroy which they are about to do to the bits they haven't already destroyed

1 2 3 6 Next »