Proposed direct sale of land to Canberra Muslim Community in Nicholls

Brianh 15 July 2009 160

In the local paper stuffed right on the back page is a notice to sell land at Nicholls. block 17 section 73, next to the Nicholls shop to the CMC, Canberra Muslim Community.

Not many people know what is going on so lets spread the word and find out.

A public information drop in session will be held at the Palmerston Community Centre, Tiptree Crescent, Palmerston – Monday 30 july 2009 3pm – 7pm.

Come and express your view’s.

[ED – Does anyone get upset when these deals are done for other groups?]

160 Responses to Proposed direct sale of land to Canberra Muslim Community in Nicholls
FC FC 12:46 pm 16 Jul 09

farnarkler said :

So what if muslims build whatever it is they want in Nicholls. If those so opposed to islam really want to get rid of it, a few Molotov cocktails and some homemade thermite will do the job admirably.

Dude, not cool.

p1 p1 12:45 pm 16 Jul 09

We’ll need someone with a good lung capacity to read it without fainting from loss of oxygen, since they can’t pause for a breath.

Ozi Ozi 12:43 pm 16 Jul 09

p1 said :

I want to see the sign on the mosque that says “BRIAN WANTED THIS” too.

Maybe we can all chip in and get a banner made for the opening?

Man, that would be bloody brilliant. And someone could read out his speech at the opening in full, yelling where appropriate.

p1 p1 12:38 pm 16 Jul 09

I want to see the sign on the mosque that says “BRIAN WANTED THIS” too.

Maybe we can all chip in and get a banner made for the opening?

fnaah fnaah 12:32 pm 16 Jul 09

0_o

Just… wow.

I want to see the sign on the mosque that says “BRIAN WANTED THIS” too. 😀

p1 p1 12:31 pm 16 Jul 09

Somewhere at the start of this thread, there was a comment about guidelines with respect to news articles, and it was suggested that race/gender/religion/etc should only be mentioned when it pertained to the issue at hand. In this case the name of the organisation includes the faith, the the use they plan for the land specifically relates to this. While Brian was a little vague in his OP, and hasn’t followed that up with terribly clear “clarifications”, I feel a little sorry for him after all the crap that has come his way.

Does the RA have a duty of care to not drive it’s patrons to post long, single sentence rants in their defence?

ant ant 12:22 pm 16 Jul 09

Looks like Al and his crew are doing a decent job. An issue like this needs to be considered objectively: any objections that are motivated by unsubstantiated fears need to be dealt-with clearly, and with facts and evidence. Likewise, things of concern should be raised and examined, not howled down as “racist”.

It’s really encouraging that the Gunghalin district has a council that is able to talk to the people proposing large developments, rather than having to go through a gov’t department and only being able to view plans and talk to the government people. This is a much more positive and sensible way.

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 12:20 pm 16 Jul 09

Yes, I agree that Brianh may have miscalculated his message to audience delivery, but considering recent experiences in Camden, Kogarah, etc, throwing in a bonus reference to who it was sold to wasn’t _necessary_ unless you want to trigger emotional reactions.
(Compare how people would be react to “Community Facility Use Land directly sold to local community group” versus “Community Facility Use Land directly sold to ACT Muslim Community\Wheelchair Rugby League ACT\Adopt-an-Orphan”. Its only been sold\leased to reflect a change of title, there isn’t even a Development Application in to build something on it yet.)

I would like to hear both how this Gungahlin Al’s 2CC thingy went, and how the meeting goes, and why this site’s application apparently deserves the extra special attention though.

Heavs Heavs 12:18 pm 16 Jul 09

I have brown and yellow friends so I’m not racist.

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 12:09 pm 16 Jul 09

In Queanbeyan, Muslim women don’t weat tents.

They wear tarps.

Ozi Ozi 11:59 am 16 Jul 09

Jim Jones said :

That’s an awesome post! That’s not flame of the week, it’s like … freakout of the year or something.

Poor Brian, I honestly don’t think that there was ever any malice in the OP at all. To me, it really does look like a community notice … but you got done by the fact that it’s a very touchy issue.

Still, it’s been really funny.

Indeed, the whole topic has been a great read and most amusing. I’m pleased that you are not racist, Brian, and your post was most amusing. The lack of paragraph breaks and scarcity of periods gives it an admirable rant-like quality, especially when coupled with the brief yet impassioned capitalisation. Keep up the great work!

Jim Jones Jim Jones 11:45 am 16 Jul 09

Still, it’s been really funny.

peterh peterh 11:44 am 16 Jul 09

wow. no para breaks. and it reads like one big shout. anyone get the feeling brian just doesn’t like what is happening to nicholls?

Brianh Brianh 11:38 am 16 Jul 09

What I’m saying is that you go to the meeting, ask questions, get informed, and treat their proposals with the same respect as you want them to treat any of yours in future.
These people are probably already either your neighbours, your friends’ neighbours, or even your neighbours’ friends.

You say These people, I’m not against the people, I just want to know the development plans and how they will effect the area and for instance the housing market, the roads, the shops. Doesn’t mean a negative it could be positive. As I have told people in the past few days, I don’t care what goes on the land just HOW! But hey, I’m not the one that planned the meeting, I’m not the one that published the add, I’m not the one that decided to have the meeting at Palmerston, I’m just a resident of Nicholls that would like to go to the meeting and with other people that now know of some development listen to what the plan is, If I like it I will even help be the one to do the first turn of soil but like any one else that may be at the meeting, if something is not right ask if they could change it or focus on a way to compimise! We will always have to live together, the Shops, The schools, the child care centre, the residents and the place of worship but it seems that people think that it is a race issue, if the feelings were that it is a race issue, do you think that is why they are having a meeting for this sale and not any of the others that people have mentioned, If it was a race issue then my OP would have been posted very different and to the GCC the development of the shops got it wrong with the parking so lets make sure this development doesn’t and maybe some stronger glue and long bolts on the Nichols shops letters, kids tried to pull them off again and also when do we get our post box back and when will the AFP media change the story from the police chase saying it ended up over the other side of Gungahlin drive when in fact it ended at the Nicholls shop intersection, and when will the gas leak be fixed that seems to have the fire brigade called out all the time that ActewAGL try and fix but now has deep tyre treads in the mud, and when will the graffiti be removed from the wall of the shops and st George come out and clean the ATM that was egged some months ago and why did other bus stops get seats on Kelleway but the ones in front of the vacant land didn’t, racist NO! just fed up with this place looking more and more like a western Sydney suburb but when someone says something it is all race related, if only it was going to be a swimming pool then a race issue would not even come into play nor a community meeting, in fact stuff it, I will be pushing for the CMC to make a fucking huge mosque, I want to see something that says BRIAN WANTED THIS, there is no need to hide what it is as long as they have parking I DON’T GIVE A FUCK and as long as for special events the cars don’t park over at the shops or on both sides of the road. I go to church, I have been to hill song and to the local catholic church, I have been to a lodge meeting and have also gone with a friend from Fiji to a uniting church, I lived in Rosehill and worked with many of Muslims and even attended a few do’s at a Parramatta mosque (plenty of parking out the back), I have worn a kilt and tried haggis and I have also picked up a hitch hiker and his friends who were Indian and drove them home, I claped when Rudd said sorry and gave my Aboriganal friend a hug. The point is is not race related and those who think so should not go to the meeting.

Snarky Snarky 11:30 am 16 Jul 09

Fisho @#95 You said you live a couple of minutes from a mosque – can you / do you hear a call to prayer 5 times a day? Do mosques outside Islamic neighbourhoods do this?

Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 10:26 am 16 Jul 09

Brianh said :

Sooooo… What every one is saying is that I should go out and read the Qur’an and learn to say “Ash-hadu an laa ilaha illa-lah Wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan rasulullah” meaning “I bear witness there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah and I bear witness, Muhammad is His final messenger”

Not at all, really the only phrase you would need is “As-Salam alaykum. Asif, la atakallamu al-arabiyah.” (Hello and peace be upon you. Sorry, I speak no Arabic.)

deezagood deezagood 5:39 am 16 Jul 09

Granny said :

He does do an amazing job. It’s really nice to have that recognised, deez!

I only wish we had a ‘Tuggeranong Al’ on our own local council!

Ozi Ozi 11:15 pm 15 Jul 09

I’m loving that this topic triggers a “ClickMuslim” muslim dating/marriage service via Google Ads. Something else for Brian to become upset with, perhaps?

“Its’ attrocius how these muslim’s can now use the interweb’s to date!”

*rolls eyes*

DrKarl DrKarl 10:59 pm 15 Jul 09

“Close down Catholic Schools (some! “thats a small %”) of the teachers and brothers are pedophiles” just as (some! “thats a small %”) of Muslims are extremist in their opinions and beliefs.

I-filed I-filed 10:34 pm 15 Jul 09

fnaah said :

My view is that people who can’t use an apostrophe correctly have no business opposing the sale of land to anyone who (presumably) wants to use it as a site for a school, or possibly ESL resource centre.

To be fair, JB uses greengrocer apostrophes from time to time. Many of us do!